A gentle plea

From
Greg Stark
Date:
I would suggest we not try to hold any more auctions of the big blue
stuffed elephants. Each time there are no bids and then someone steps
in at the last moment but I don't think that will continue to happen
indefinitely. I find the whole thing a pretty embarrassing and awkward
experience.

--
greg

Re: A gentle plea

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
2010/2/1 Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu>:
> I would suggest we not try to hold any more auctions of the big blue
> stuffed elephants. Each time there are no bids and then someone steps
> in at the last moment but I don't think that will continue to happen
> indefinitely. I find the whole thing a pretty embarrassing and awkward
> experience.

Yes. I tried to get us to not do that the past two times.

This time I'll veto it if somebody suggests it :-)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: A gentle plea

From
Thom Brown
Date:
I would suggest we not try to hold any more auctions of the big blue
stuffed elephants. Each time there are no bids and then someone steps
in at the last moment but I don't think that will continue to happen
indefinitely. I find the whole thing a pretty embarrassing and awkward
experience.

--
greg

I'll give you 100 quid for one.  At PGDay 2009 I didn't have the cash on me to bid for one.

Thom

Re: A gentle plea

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
2010/2/1 Thom Brown <thombrown@gmail.com>:
> On 1 February 2010 18:24, Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> wrote:
>>
>> I would suggest we not try to hold any more auctions of the big blue
>> stuffed elephants. Each time there are no bids and then someone steps
>> in at the last moment but I don't think that will continue to happen
>> indefinitely. I find the whole thing a pretty embarrassing and awkward
>> experience.
>>
>> --
>> greg
>>

> I'll give you 100 quid for one.  At PGDay 2009 I didn't have the cash on me to bid for one.
> Thom

We'll still be selling it/them at our booth for a fixed price :-)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: A gentle plea

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

> I'll give you 100 quid for one.  At PGDay 2009 I didn't have the cash on
> me to bid for one.

Holding auctions without the ability to accept credit cards is generally
a bad idea.

--Josh Berkus

Re: A gentle plea

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 10:31 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> > I'll give you 100 quid for one.  At PGDay 2009 I didn't have the cash on
> > me to bid for one.
>
> Holding auctions without the ability to accept credit cards is generally
> a bad idea.

PgEU can accept credit cards.... ?

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor
Respect is earned, not gained through arbitrary and repetitive use or Mr. or Sir.

Re: A gentle plea

From
Thom Brown
Date:
On 1 February 2010 18:32, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
2010/2/1 Thom Brown <thombrown@gmail.com>:
> On 1 February 2010 18:24, Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> wrote:
>>
>> I would suggest we not try to hold any more auctions of the big blue
>> stuffed elephants. Each time there are no bids and then someone steps
>> in at the last moment but I don't think that will continue to happen
>> indefinitely. I find the whole thing a pretty embarrassing and awkward
>> experience.
>>
>> --
>> greg
>>

> I'll give you 100 quid for one.  At PGDay 2009 I didn't have the cash on me to bid for one.
> Thom

We'll still be selling it/them at our booth for a fixed price :-)

Oh man, I REALLY wish I could make it to FOSDEM now :(  I'll buy one at PGDay 2010 in Amsterdam if they're still going then.

Thom

Re: A gentle plea

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
2010/2/1 Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com>:
> On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 10:31 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> > I'll give you 100 quid for one.  At PGDay 2009 I didn't have the cash on
>> > me to bid for one.
>>
>> Holding auctions without the ability to accept credit cards is generally
>> a bad idea.
>
> PgEU can accept credit cards.... ?

Well, indirectly. As long as there is a computer nearby...

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: A gentle plea

From
Christophe Pettus
Date:
On Feb 1, 2010, at 10:32 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> We'll still be selling it/them at our booth for a fixed price :-)

If there's any interest in selling them by mail, I'm happy to provide
the fulfillment services.

--
-- Christophe Pettus
    xof@thebuild.com

Re: A gentle plea

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
Auction of what Big Blue Stuffed Elephant??  Is there a picture of one of
these beasts??

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010, Greg Stark wrote:

> I would suggest we not try to hold any more auctions of the big blue
> stuffed elephants. Each time there are no bids and then someone steps
> in at the last moment but I don't think that will continue to happen
> indefinitely. I find the whole thing a pretty embarrassing and awkward
> experience.
>
> --
> greg

----
Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy@hub.org                                     http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scrappy@hub.org

Re: A gentle plea

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor
Respect is earned, not gained through arbitrary and repetitive use or Mr. or Sir.

Re: A gentle plea

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 12:22 AM, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:

> Auction of what Big Blue Stuffed Elephant??  Is there a picture of one of
> these beasts??

See the last 2 pictures at
http://andreas.scherbaum.la/blog/archives/524-FOSDEM-2009-is-over.html
(and in case you were wondering, that's me in the first pic, and
Selena in the second).

--
Dave Page

Re: A gentle plea

From
Jean-Paul Argudo
Date:
Hi there,

>> PgEU can accept credit cards.... ?

No. I'm sorry.

> Well, indirectly. As long as there is a computer nearby...

Yes, if you're thinking about the paypal account we have.

No in any other case, I'm sorry :)

Jean-Paul Argudo
www.PostgreSQLFr.org
www.Dalibo.com

Re: A gentle plea

From
Greg Smith
Dave Page wrote:
> See the last 2 pictures at
> http://andreas.scherbaum.la/blog/archives/524-FOSDEM-2009-is-over.html
> (and in case you were wondering, that's me in the first pic, and
> Selena in the second).

Come on, you have to put the pictures *before* the ones of the belly
dancer if you expect anyone is actually going to scroll down to where
they'll see them.

Re: A gentle plea

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Tue, 2 Feb 2010, Greg Smith wrote:

> Dave Page wrote:
>> See the last 2 pictures at
>> http://andreas.scherbaum.la/blog/archives/524-FOSDEM-2009-is-over.html
>> (and in case you were wondering, that's me in the first pic, and
>> Selena in the second).
>>

> Come on, you have to put the pictures *before* the ones of the belly dancer
> if you expect anyone is actually going to scroll down to where they'll see
> them.

Depends on your taste in women ... ?

----

Date:
2010/2/2 Jean-Paul Argudo <jean-paul@postgresqlfr.org>:
> Hi there,
>
>>> PgEU can accept credit cards.... ?
>
> No. I'm sorry.
>
>> Well, indirectly. As long as there is a computer nearby...
>
> Yes, if you're thinking about the paypal account we have.

Yes, that's what I'm referring to.

--

Date:
>> Come on, you have to put the pictures *before* the ones of the belly
>> dancer if you expect anyone is actually going to scroll down to where
>> they'll see them.
>
> Depends on your taste in women ... ?

Or men!  Peter, gettin' down, gettin' funky!

--Josh Berkus

Re: A gentle plea

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Tue, 2 Feb 2010, Josh Berkus wrote:

>>> Come on, you have to put the pictures *before* the ones of the belly
>>> dancer if you expect anyone is actually going to scroll down to where
>>> they'll see them.
>>
>> Depends on your taste in women ... ?
>
> Or men!  Peter, gettin' down, gettin' funky!

Okay, some visions one doesn't need, eh?

----

Date:
Come on, you have to put the pictures *before* the ones of the belly
dancer if you expect anyone is actually going to scroll down to where
they'll see them.

Depends on your taste in women ... ?

Or men!  Peter, gettin' down, gettin' funky!

Okay, some visions one doesn't need, eh?

Oh I dunno, some of us aren't too averse.

Thom

Re: A gentle plea

From
Rodger Donaldson
Date:
Greg Stark wrote:
> I would suggest we not try to hold any more auctions of the big blue
> stuffed elephants. Each time there are no bids and then someone steps
> in at the last moment but I don't think that will continue to happen
> indefinitely. I find the whole thing a pretty embarrassing and awkward
> experience.

The are /stuffed blue elephants/?!

Josh, why didn't you bring these to Wellington!

/me weeps at the loss of a stuffed toy purchasing opportunity

Re: A gentle plea

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Tuesday, February 2, 2010, Rodger Donaldson <rodger@diaspora.gen.nz> wrote:
> Greg Stark wrote:
>
> I would suggest we not try to hold any more auctions of the big blue
> stuffed elephants. Each time there are no bids and then someone steps
> in at the last moment but I don't think that will continue to happen
> indefinitely. I find the whole thing a pretty embarrassing and awkward
> experience.
>

> The are /stuffed blue elephants/?!
>
> Josh, why didn't you bring these to Wellington!
>
> /me weeps at the loss of a stuffed toy purchasing opportunity

Probably because the Americans keep saying they don't want in when we
buy them because they are fairly expensive and bulky and they don't
think they can sell them...

You're welcome to join us at one of the European conferences - we
usualy have at least some at all of them (db related conferences that
is). By be early because we always sell out quickly.

/Magnus

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: A gentle plea

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
pgCan is coming up ... how much are these things selling for?  Maybe look
at doing an 'advance buy before the show' sort of thing?

There really should be some sort of 'merchandising' page off of
http://www.postgresql.org that highlights stuff like this ... seems a
waste to design it, produce it, but only be able if someone can get to a
show :(

Date:
On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 15:33, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:

> pgCan is coming up ... how much are these things selling for?  Maybe look at
> doing an 'advance buy before the show' sort of thing?

We sell them for €25 each. (that's for the small elephant, the one we
usually sell out. The big elephant is a lot more expensive, iirc they
go for €100)

As long as there is a big enough order so that it makes sense to ship,
that can certainly be done. But they're big enough that you can only
bring very few in your luggage unless you bring special luggage for
it...

> There really should be some sort of 'merchandising' page off of
> http://www.postgresql.org that highlights stuff like this ... seems a waste
> to design it, produce it, but only be able if someone can get to a show :(

Nah. Merchandise store for some things, sure, but having some things
available only if you participate somewhere gives it more exclusivity.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: Merchandising WAS: A gentle plea

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
>> There really should be some sort of 'merchandising' page off of
>> http://www.postgresql.org that highlights stuff like this ... seems a waste
>> to design it, produce it, but only be able if someone can get to a show :(
>
> Nah. Merchandise store for some things, sure, but having some things
> available only if you participate somewhere gives it more exclusivity.

Actually, we have getting a person to create and manage
Cafepress/Zazzle/etc. stores on the Advocacy TODO list.  It's something
the project should have for fundraising, but needs a new person who can
take charge of it.

--Josh Berkus

Date:
On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 19:44, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

>>> There really should be some sort of 'merchandising' page off of
>>> http://www.postgresql.org that highlights stuff like this ... seems a waste
>>> to design it, produce it, but only be able if someone can get to a show :(
>>
>> Nah. Merchandise store for some things, sure, but having some things
>> available only if you participate somewhere gives it more exclusivity.
>>

> Actually, we have getting a person to create and manage
> Cafepress/Zazzle/etc. stores on the Advocacy TODO list.  It's something
> the project should have for fundraising, but needs a new person who can
> take charge of it.

FWIW, Thom has promised to get that started for postgresqleu at least.
So don't steal him from us! ;)

--

Date:
On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 07:15:51AM +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> You're welcome to join us at one of the European conferences - we
> usualy have at least some at all of them (db related conferences that
> is). By be early because we always sell out quickly.

On the one hand, it's an attractive idea.  On the other hand, 36 hours
of travel time each way and several thousand dollars is kind of steep
for a stuffed elephant, even with the bonus of a pg conf wrapped
around it.

--
Rodger Donaldson        rodgerd@diaspora.gen.nz

Re: A gentle plea

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
> On the one hand, it's an attractive idea.  On the other hand, 36 hours
> of travel time each way and several thousand dollars is kind of steep
> for a stuffed elephant, even with the bonus of a pg conf wrapped
> around it.

then hold a PG miniconf in Wellington or Auckland, get us to ship you
fanties, sell most of them off, and keep one for yourself.

--Josh

Re: A gentle plea

From
Thom Brown
Date:
On 4 February 2010 21:17, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

>> On the one hand, it's an attractive idea.  On the other hand, 36 hours
>> of travel time each way and several thousand dollars is kind of steep
>> for a stuffed elephant, even with the bonus of a pg conf wrapped
>> around it.
>
> then hold a PG miniconf in Wellington or Auckland, get us to ship you
> fanties, sell most of them off, and keep one for yourself.
>
> --Josh

Well the breeding programme is coming along nicely so should have some
more soon: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dark_ixion/4082799445/

Thom

Re: A gentle plea

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
2010/2/4 Thom Brown <thombrown@gmail.com>:
> On 4 February 2010 21:17, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On the one hand, it's an attractive idea.  On the other hand, 36 hours
>>> of travel time each way and several thousand dollars is kind of steep
>>> for a stuffed elephant, even with the bonus of a pg conf wrapped
>>> around it.
>>
>> then hold a PG miniconf in Wellington or Auckland, get us to ship you
>> fanties, sell most of them off, and keep one for yourself.
>>
>> --Josh
>
> Well the breeding programme is coming along nicely so should have some
> more soon: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dark_ixion/4082799445/

Yeah, but those will just be small ones for years.

--

Date:
On 4 February 2010 21:27, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

>>> then hold a PG miniconf in Wellington or Auckland, get us to ship you
>>> fanties, sell most of them off, and keep one for yourself.
>>>
>>> --Josh
>>
>> Well the breeding programme is coming along nicely so should have some
>> more soon: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dark_ixion/4082799445/
>
> Yeah, but those will just be small ones for years.

We've got to start somewhere.  Bit inappropriate them mating at the
final seminar of PGDay 2009 though.  I still really want to buy one
though.  Will they still be available at PGDay 2010?

Thom

Re: A gentle plea

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
2010/2/5 Thom Brown <thombrown@gmail.com>:
> On 4 February 2010 21:27, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

>>> Well the breeding programme is coming along nicely so should have some
>>> more soon: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dark_ixion/4082799445/
>>
>> Yeah, but those will just be small ones for years.
>
> We've got to start somewhere.  Bit inappropriate them mating at the
> final seminar of PGDay 2009 though.  I still really want to buy one
> though.  Will they still be available at PGDay 2010?

That's certainly the plan.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: A gentle plea

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
Hello,

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 22:27:35 +0100 Magnus Hagander wrote:

> >> then hold a PG miniconf in Wellington or Auckland, get us to ship
> >> you fanties, sell most of them off, and keep one for yourself.
> >>
> >> --Josh
> >
> > Well the breeding programme is coming along nicely so should have
> > some more soon: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dark_ixion/4082799445/
>
> Yeah, but those will just be small ones for years.

some better pictures:

http://andreas.scherbaum.la/blog/uploads/images/PGDay-Paris-2009/DSC_4820.jpg
http://andreas.scherbaum.la/blog/uploads/images/PGDay-Paris-2009/DSC_4831.jpg
http://andreas.scherbaum.la/blog/uploads/images/PGDay-Paris-2009/DSC_4769.jpg

(yeah, i'm jumping late on this thread)

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: A gentle plea

From
Thom Brown
Date:
On 30 March 2010 21:15, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail@wars-nicht.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 22:27:35 +0100 Magnus Hagander wrote:

>> > Well the breeding programme is coming along nicely so should have
>> > some more soon: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dark_ixion/4082799445/
>>
>> Yeah, but those will just be small ones for years.
>
> some better pictures:
>
> http://andreas.scherbaum.la/blog/uploads/images/PGDay-Paris-2009/DSC_4820.jpg
> http://andreas.scherbaum.la/blog/uploads/images/PGDay-Paris-2009/DSC_4831.jpg
> http://andreas.scherbaum.la/blog/uploads/images/PGDay-Paris-2009/DSC_4769.jpg
>

> (yeah, i'm jumping late on this thread)

Rule 34 still remains unbroken I see.

Re: A gentle plea

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 18:22:26 +0100 Magnus Hagander wrote:

> 2010/2/5 Thom Brown <thombrown@gmail.com>:
> >
> > We've got to start somewhere.  Bit inappropriate them mating at the
> > final seminar of PGDay 2009 though.  I still really want to buy one
> > though.  Will they still be available at PGDay 2010?
>
> That's certainly the plan.

Yes, we will have some. And it seems we should have more than two of
the big ones ...

Thom: if you want order some more for your next local event (*hint*),
drop me a mail and i'll see about the shipping costs (and the customs
handling).

Bye