Forrester: Ingres and MySQL Lead Open Source Databases

From
"Leif B. Kristensen"
Date:
http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/News/Forrester-Ingres-and-MySQL-Lead-Open-Source-Databases

Forrester: Ingres and MySQL Lead Open Source Databases
Jul 14, 2009

Market researcher Forrester Research investigated the suitability of
database systems for enterprise deployment and found that the Ingres
and MySQl alternatives take the lead positions after IBM, Oracle and
Microsoft.

The Forrester study has the market giants IBM, Microsoft and Oracle with
88% of the share in enterprise databases. They found their lead to be
due mainly to high performance, availability and scalability.

Second place finishers were cost beneficial offerings from Computer
Associates, Software AG and Sybase. Current competition also comes from
IBM Informatix and open source products Ingres and MySQL, which
Forrester considers appropriate for the small to medium size enterprise
market.

The U.S. marketing firm praises Ingres as the open source database with
the best enterprise features, even when it isn't the best known. Its
optimal deployment is for less than 1 TByte databases with maximum a
thousand concurrent users. Unfortunately only a few ready-made
applications have Ingres.

The study has MySQL with open-minded features, even compared to the
proprietary products. Forrester also points to its large user
community. MySQL works best for databases up to 1 TByte. Many
applications support the open source database, although some important
ones such as Peoplesoft, SAP and Siebel still do not.

In comparison, PostgreSQL might have the largest developer community,
but has hardly any distribution among vendors. In Forrester's view it
lacks the availability, security and performance qualities of
enterprise class databases.

The market firm based their study on 150 criteria and a sample of 21
manufacturers and corporate clients. The study is available as a free
25-page PDF after registration at Ingres. Forrester Research claims
that the study is independent of, and was not commissioned by, Ingres.
-----
Yeah. PostgreSQl lacks «availability, security and performance qualities
of enterprise class databases» which MySQL obviously has.

Whoever inventented this bullshit must have been paid a serious amount
of money from somewhere.
Me And My Database: http://solumslekt.org/blog/

Re: Forrester: Ingres and MySQL Lead Open Source Databases

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
> Yeah. PostgreSQl lacks «availability, security and performance qualities
> of enterprise class databases» which MySQL obviously has.
>
> Whoever inventented this bullshit must have been paid a serious amount
> of money from somewhere.

No, it's actually a combination of other things, mostly that I didn't
have any time to follow up with Forrester this spring, and nobody was
available to help.  Sometimes the fact that we're an OSS project and not
a company with full-time marketing staff bites us on the tuchas.

I'll talk to Forrester and see how we can improve this.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Forrester: Ingres and MySQL Lead Open Source Databases

From
"Paragon Corporation"

>> Yeah. PostgreSQl lacks <availability, security and performance
>> qualities of enterprise class databases> which MySQL obviously has.
>
>> Whoever inventented this bullshit must have been paid a serious amount
>> of money from somewhere.

> No, it's actually a combination of other things, mostly that I didn't have
any time to follow up with Forrester this spring, and nobody was available
to help.  Sometimes
> the fact that we're an OSS project and not a company with full-time
marketing staff bites us on the tuchas.

> I'll talk to Forrester and see how we can improve this.

I would tend to agree with Leif on this one.  I mean they didn't even spell
IBM Informix right.  Or is there really an IBM Informatix I don't know
about.

Also why are the stats downloadable from Ingres site and not Forrester?  I
know they made it clear that Ingres did not  pay for this review but when a
review leads to a site that is flashing in the title, it does make me a bit
suspicious of its influences regardless of what is said.  Perhaps I'm just
being needlessly paranoid.

Thanks,
Regina

Date:
> Also why are the stats downloadable from Ingres site and not Forrester?  I
> know they made it clear that Ingres did not  pay for this review but when a
> review leads to a site that is flashing in the title, it does make me a bit
> suspicious of its influences regardless of what is said.  Perhaps I'm just
> being needlessly paranoid.

The reviews are only available to paying clients.  So only a paying
client can publicize the review.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Forrester: Ingres and MySQL Lead Open Source Databases

From
decibel
Date:
On Jul 16, 2009, at 10:48 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Yeah. PostgreSQl lacks «availability, security and performance
>> qualities
>> of enterprise class databases» which MySQL obviously has.
>>
>> Whoever inventented this bullshit must have been paid a serious
>> amount
>> of money from somewhere.
>
> No, it's actually a combination of other things, mostly that I
> didn't have any time to follow up with Forrester this spring, and
> nobody was available to help.  Sometimes the fact that we're an OSS
> project and not a company with full-time marketing staff bites us
> on the tuchas.

Have we looked at paying someone to be responsible for PR? I'm not
thinking a PR firm or anything, but someone in the community who is
actually charged with being responsible for dealing with PR. That
would mean we don't have to worry about the "outside world" not
having a point of contact, and we would also be able to make sure we
have case studies and what-not.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  decibel@decibel.org

Re: Forrester: Ingres and MySQL Lead Open Source Databases

From
Selena Deckelmann
Date:
Hi!

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 10:34 AM, decibel<decibel@decibel.org> wrote:

> Have we looked at paying someone to be responsible for PR? I'm not thinking
> a PR firm or anything, but someone in the community who is actually charged
> with being responsible for dealing with PR. That would mean we don't have to
> worry about the "outside world" not having a point of contact, and we would
> also be able to make sure we have case studies and what-not.

It's an interesting idea, but who would they report to and be accountable to?

I think it would be more productive to come up with a series of small
projects that people inside the community want to work on, and empower
them - through money or other kinds of support of the project - to do
things that help us all.

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com/daily - me