Advocacy Links, people using PostgreSQL, Trends.

From
Guido Barosio
Date:
Some thoughts.

   We were during the last days collecting links related with the 8.4
release. And that seems to be, plus events, the very best effort when
it comes to -advocacy.

How can we relate this, with the efforts being done?

http://www.google.com/trends?q=PostgreSQL&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

/* Don't waste time saying: "This has nothing to do with PostgreSQL
because...". There are several ways to understand this graph, but all
say: "things are slowing" */

We need to find a better way to encourage people to come and get our
stuff, instead of arguing bout an installer or the logo size on a
page. Were are the stats of the project? The real ones, downloads,
installations, users, etc, anyone digging there? If we don't have some
of them, which are the ones that we do have?  I am against working in
this direction but I need stuff in order to understand were we are
standing ATM. Get serious!

To be clear, at this moment, I am not helping with the
-admin,-general, nor other support lists. I am just sitting here
trying to share some bits with moderation and some advocacy support on
my spare time.  That's me, no company nor commercial  interest, no
further magic. Just love for the project.

Dunno, just 2 cents on the storm.

gb.-

Re: Advocacy Links, people using PostgreSQL, Trends.

From
Guido Barosio
Date:
Well, you have not reached 8.3 :)

http://www.google.com/trends?q=PostgreSQL+8.4%2C+PostgreSQL+8.3&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 4:40 PM, Euler Taveira de
Oliveira<euler@timbira.com> wrote:
> Guido Barosio escreveu:
>> How can we relate this, with the efforts being done?
>>
>> http://www.google.com/trends?q=PostgreSQL&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
>>
> IMHO your search should be:
>
> http://www.google.com/trends?q=PostgreSQL+8.4&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
>
> And I think we have been achieved our goals. Release 8.4 has been equally
> covered by press comparing with the other DBMSs when they were released.
>

> --
>  Euler Taveira de Oliveira
>  http://www.timbira.com/

Re: Advocacy Links, people using PostgreSQL, Trends.

From
Guido Barosio
Date:
http://www.google.com/trends?q=PostgreSQL%2C+PostgreSQL+8%2C+PostgreSQL+8.4%2C+PostgreSQL+8.3&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

Anyway, these graphs only demonstrate a slow in whatever this trend
represents (google searches afaik).

The focus should be on "Where do we get the real data from? Where are
we standing at the moment? Do we need more or less effort?"

A press coverage is just a press coverage and nothing else.

gb.-

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 4:46 PM, Guido Barosio<gbarosio@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, you have not reached 8.3 :)
>
> http://www.google.com/trends?q=PostgreSQL+8.4%2C+PostgreSQL+8.3&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
>
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 4:40 PM, Euler Taveira de
> Oliveira<euler@timbira.com> wrote:
>> Guido Barosio escreveu:
>>> How can we relate this, with the efforts being done?
>>>
>>> http://www.google.com/trends?q=PostgreSQL&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
>>>
>> IMHO your search should be:
>>
>> http://www.google.com/trends?q=PostgreSQL+8.4&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
>>
>> And I think we have been achieved our goals. Release 8.4 has been equally
>> covered by press comparing with the other DBMSs when they were released.
>>

>> --
>>  Euler Taveira de Oliveira
>>  http://www.timbira.com/

Re: Advocacy Links, people using PostgreSQL, Trends.

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On Monday 13 July 2009 20:19:33 Guido Barosio wrote:
> How can we relate this, with the efforts being done?
>
> http://www.google.com/trends?q=PostgreSQL&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
>
> /* Don't waste time saying: "This has nothing to do with PostgreSQL
> because...". There are several ways to understand this graph, but all
> say: "things are slowing" */

Well, perhaps if fewer people are searching for PostgreSQL, then more people
already know where it is and have no need to search for it all the time.

Note also that the search trends for competing products like MySQL, SQL
Server, and Oracle are pointing into the same direction.

Re: Advocacy Links, people using PostgreSQL, Trends.

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On Monday 13 July 2009 20:19:33 Guido Barosio wrote:
> > How can we relate this, with the efforts being done?
> >
> > http://www.google.com/trends?q=PostgreSQL&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
> >
> > /* Don't waste time saying: "This has nothing to do with PostgreSQL
> > because...". There are several ways to understand this graph, but all
> > say: "things are slowing" */
>
> Well, perhaps if fewer people are searching for PostgreSQL, then more people
> already know where it is and have no need to search for it all the time.
>
> Note also that the search trends for competing products like MySQL, SQL
> Server, and Oracle are pointing into the same direction.

I think the reason is that more non-technical searches are performed
every year as the Internet become less hacker-centric.

Date:
Guido Barosio escreveu:
> How can we relate this, with the efforts being done?
>
> http://www.google.com/trends?q=PostgreSQL&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

IMHO your search should be:

http://www.google.com/trends?q=PostgreSQL+8.4&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

And I think we have been achieved our goals. Release 8.4 has been equally
covered by press comparing with the other DBMSs when they were released.

--
  Euler Taveira de Oliveira
  http://www.timbira.com/

Re: Advocacy Links, people using PostgreSQL, Trends.

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Bruce Momjian escribió:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > On Monday 13 July 2009 20:19:33 Guido Barosio wrote:
> > > How can we relate this, with the efforts being done?
> > >
> > > http://www.google.com/trends?q=PostgreSQL&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
> > >
> > > /* Don't waste time saying: "This has nothing to do with PostgreSQL
> > > because...". There are several ways to understand this graph, but all
> > > say: "things are slowing" */
> >
> > Well, perhaps if fewer people are searching for PostgreSQL, then more people
> > already know where it is and have no need to search for it all the time.
> >
> > Note also that the search trends for competing products like MySQL, SQL
> > Server, and Oracle are pointing into the same direction.
>
> I think the reason is that more non-technical searches are performed
> every year as the Internet become less hacker-centric.

I tried this search:
http://www.google.com/trends?q=PostgreSQL%2Cdb2&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
and I find the result pretty surprising.  Why are there peaks and
valleys at the same time for both periods?

What this says to me is that these graphs are meaningless.

These ones
http://www.google.com/trends?q=PostgreSQL%2Cdb2&ctab=0&geo=all&date=mtd&sort=0
http://www.google.com/trends?q=PostgreSQL%2Cdb2&ctab=0&geo=all&date=2008-12&sort=1
says that people keep searching for Postgres at home, but after leaving
the office they forget about DB2.  So Postgres is mostly used by
hobbists, not serious businesses ... Right?

Re: Advocacy Links, people using PostgreSQL, Trends.

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
> And I think we have been achieved our goals. Release 8.4 has been equally
> covered by press comparing with the other DBMSs when they were released.

Yes.  Thank you to all of our Regional Contacts for making this release
successful.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Advocacy Links, people using PostgreSQL, Trends.

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> I tried this search:
> http://www.google.com/trends?q=PostgreSQL%2Cdb2&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
> and I find the result pretty surprising.  Why are there peaks and
> valleys at the same time for both periods?
> What this says to me is that these graphs are meaningless.

Not meaningless, they just don't mean what you might think, and certainly
Guido's characterization isn't right at all.  Both the PostgreSQL and DB2
graphs are suggesting how often people search for database-related terms
relative to other types of searches.  That's been dropping steadily during
that period as people use the web more for other things, and you'll see
the same graph shape for Oracle and MySQL too.

As for the correlated peaks and valleys, you can see traffic drop off
around the holidays in December every year and pick back up again the day
after Christmas; that's the true cause of many of them, because shopping
searches dominate those periods.

Re: Advocacy Links, people using PostgreSQL, Trends.

From
Shane Ambler
Date:
Greg Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jul 2009, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
>> I tried this search:
>> http://www.google.com/trends?q=PostgreSQL%2Cdb2&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
>>
>> and I find the result pretty surprising.  Why are there peaks and
>> valleys at the same time for both periods?
>> What this says to me is that these graphs are meaningless.
>
> Not meaningless, they just don't mean what you might think, and
> certainly Guido's characterization isn't right at all.  Both the
> PostgreSQL and DB2 graphs are suggesting how often people search for
> database-related terms relative to other types of searches.  That's been
> dropping steadily during that period as people use the web more for
> other things, and you'll see the same graph shape for Oracle and MySQL too.
>
> As for the correlated peaks and valleys, you can see traffic drop off
> around the holidays in December every year and pick back up again the
> day after Christmas; that's the true cause of many of them, because
> shopping searches dominate those periods.
>
> --
> * Greg Smith gsmith@gregsmith.com http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD

What about stats from postgresql.org?

How many hits come from google? Other search engines?
How many come from other sites?
How many go straight to postgresql.org?

And other country postgresql sites...

--