Re: Advocacy Links, people using PostgreSQL, Trends. - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Advocacy Links, people using PostgreSQL, Trends.
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Bruce Momjian escribió:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > On Monday 13 July 2009 20:19:33 Guido Barosio wrote:
> > > How can we relate this, with the efforts being done?
> > >
> > > http://www.google.com/trends?q=PostgreSQL&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
> > >
> > > /* Don't waste time saying: "This has nothing to do with PostgreSQL
> > > because...". There are several ways to understand this graph, but all
> > > say: "things are slowing" */
> >
> > Well, perhaps if fewer people are searching for PostgreSQL, then more people
> > already know where it is and have no need to search for it all the time.
> >
> > Note also that the search trends for competing products like MySQL, SQL
> > Server, and Oracle are pointing into the same direction.
>
> I think the reason is that more non-technical searches are performed
> every year as the Internet become less hacker-centric.

I tried this search:
http://www.google.com/trends?q=PostgreSQL%2Cdb2&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
and I find the result pretty surprising.  Why are there peaks and
valleys at the same time for both periods?

What this says to me is that these graphs are meaningless.

These ones
http://www.google.com/trends?q=PostgreSQL%2Cdb2&ctab=0&geo=all&date=mtd&sort=0
http://www.google.com/trends?q=PostgreSQL%2Cdb2&ctab=0&geo=all&date=2008-12&sort=1
says that people keep searching for Postgres at home, but after leaving
the office they forget about DB2.  So Postgres is mostly used by
hobbists, not serious businesses ... Right?