Time to start drafting the 8.4 release

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

It's that time again!  The Release Notes are built, the beta is almost
out.  It's time to start drafting a release announcement:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/84ReleaseDraft

Major points to resolve:

1) Theme: I have *no* idea.  We used "rapid development" last time.
What do we use now?  Long-term development?

2) Features to mention: just the ones which a non-PostgreSQL user might
be vaguely interested in.  Suggested list up on the wiki.

3) Quotes: I have a few in my mailbox, but more are definitely welcome.

--Josh Berkus

Re: Time to start drafting the 8.4 release

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 3/28/09 2:32 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> It's that time again! The Release Notes are built, the beta is almost
> out. It's time to start drafting a release announcement:
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/84ReleaseDraft

<sound of crickets chirping softly>

Re: Time to start drafting the 8.4 release

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 12:29:57PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 3/28/09 2:32 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> It's that time again! The Release Notes are built, the beta is almost
>> out. It's time to start drafting a release announcement:
>>
>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/84ReleaseDraft
>
> <sound of crickets chirping softly>

Hey, I modified it some :)

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Time to start drafting the 8.4 release

From
Chris Browne
Date:
david@fetter.org (David Fetter) writes:
>> <sound of crickets chirping softly>
>
> Hey, I modified it some :)

Ditto.

Feel free to drop items, of course!  :-)
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="linuxfinances.info" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/languages.html

Date:
On 3/30/09 11:49 PM, Rob Napier wrote:
>   Josh
>
> Is there anything I can do to help?
>
> If you give me the raw details, I'd be happy to write it for you.

See the wiki page.

But the first thing to do is start with a theme.  Suggestions?

We used "rapid development" last year, so we can't use it this year.
But this release doesn't have any central "theme" in terms of what's
been added; it's just a whole buncha features.

The one thing I thought of which is somewhat new is that we added
several features or partial features designed to pave the way for larger
features later.

--Josh

Re: Time to start drafting the 8.4 release

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 3/30/09 11:49 PM, Rob Napier wrote:
> >   Josh
> >
> > Is there anything I can do to help?
> >
> > If you give me the raw details, I'd be happy to write it for you.
>
> See the wiki page.
>
> But the first thing to do is start with a theme.  Suggestions?
>
> We used "rapid development" last year, so we can't use it this year.
> But this release doesn't have any central "theme" in terms of what's
> been added; it's just a whole buncha features.
>
> The one thing I thought of which is somewhat new is that we added
> several features or partial features designed to pave the way for larger
> features later.

I used this text for the top of the 8.4 release note; it highlights
targeted development and recently-adopted SQL-standard features.

    After many years of development, <productname>PostgreSQL</> has
    become feature-complete in many areas.   This release shows a
    targeted approach to adding features (e.g. authentication,
    monitoring, space reuse), and adds capabilities defined in the
    later SQL standards;  the major areas of enhancement are:

You will notice from the release notes that the feature additions are
more focused in specific areas than in previous releases, and we have
added some cool SQL-standards stuff (windowing, recusive queries).

Re: Time to start drafting the 8.4 release

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Bruce,

> I used this text for the top of the 8.4 release note; it highlights
> targeted development and recently-adopted SQL-standard features.
>
>      After many years of development,<productname>PostgreSQL</>  has
>      become feature-complete in many areas.   This release shows a
>      targeted approach to adding features (e.g. authentication,
>      monitoring, space reuse), and adds capabilities defined in the
>      later SQL standards;  the major areas of enhancement are:

Yeah, I don't know that "maturity" is a sexy message for a press
release, though.

--Josh

Re: Time to start drafting the 8.4 release

From
Jeff Davis
Date:
> > I used this text for the top of the 8.4 release note; it highlights
> > targeted development and recently-adopted SQL-standard features.
> >
> >      After many years of development,<productname>PostgreSQL</>  has
> >      become feature-complete in many areas.   This release shows a
> >      targeted approach to adding features (e.g. authentication,
> >      monitoring, space reuse), and adds capabilities defined in the
> >      later SQL standards;  the major areas of enhancement are:
>
> Yeah, I don't know that "maturity" is a sexy message for a press
> release, though.

Just brainstorming:

WITH RECURSIVE and window functions could both fall into an "analytics"
theme of some kind. That doesn't tell the whole story, though.

Some of the other major features, like the Visibility Map, are very
important, but I can't think of any way to make them sound exciting
(other than a "performance" theme, which is not exciting without
numbers).

Regards,
    Jeff Davis

Re: Time to start drafting the 8.4 release

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Jeff Davis wrote:

> WITH RECURSIVE and window functions could both fall into an "analytics"
> theme of some kind. That doesn't tell the whole story, though.
>
> Some of the other major features, like the Visibility Map, are very
> important, but I can't think of any way to make them sound exciting
> (other than a "performance" theme, which is not exciting without
> numbers).

VM can also be categorized as "analytics", because it makes vacuuming
huge tables so much convenient.

Re: Time to start drafting the 8.4 release

Date:
Jeff Davis wrote:
> Some of the other major features, like the Visibility Map, are very
> important, but I can't think of any way to make them sound exciting
> (other than a "performance" theme, which is not exciting without
> numbers).

Space reuse?

Re: Time to start drafting the 8.4 release

From
Michael Alan Brewer
Date:
Expanding the base [set of functionality]?  A theme like, "PostgreSQL
8.4: Expanding the foundation"?

---Michael Brewer
mbrewer@gmail.com

Date:
On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 02:10:13PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Jeff Davis wrote:
>
> > WITH RECURSIVE and window functions could both fall into an
> > "analytics" theme of some kind. That doesn't tell the whole story,
> > though.
> >
> > Some of the other major features, like the Visibility Map, are
> > very important, but I can't think of any way to make them sound
> > exciting (other than a "performance" theme, which is not exciting
> > without numbers).
>
> VM can also be categorized as "analytics", because it makes
> vacuuming huge tables so much convenient.

Is, "analytics" the latest in the DSS/OLAP/BI series of wacky terms
for, "system need not respond within a second?"

Cheers,
David (having trouble keeping up with this term-of-the-day merry-go-round).

Remember to vote!

Date:
On Tue, 2009-03-31 at 11:56 -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 02:10:13PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Jeff Davis wrote:
> >
> > > WITH RECURSIVE and window functions could both fall into an
> > > "analytics" theme of some kind. That doesn't tell the whole story,
> > > though.
> > >
> > > Some of the other major features, like the Visibility Map, are
> > > very important, but I can't think of any way to make them sound
> > > exciting (other than a "performance" theme, which is not exciting
> > > without numbers).
> >
> > VM can also be categorized as "analytics", because it makes
> > vacuuming huge tables so much convenient.
>
> Is, "analytics" the latest in the DSS/OLAP/BI series of wacky terms
> for, "system need not respond within a second?"

WITH RECURSIVE and window functions both increase the expressiveness of
PostgreSQL's dialect of SQL substantially, allowing users to ask
interesting questions in a single query that would have been impossible
to ask before. These queries work on small data sets as well, so I don't
think that these features are only useful for long-running queries.

Do you have a word in mind that captures this benefit better than
"analytics"? "Expressiveness" might work, but I don't think that people
really associate that word with database systems.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis

Date:
On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 02:03:41PM -0700, Jeff Davis wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-03-31 at 11:56 -0700, David Fetter wrote:

> > > VM can also be categorized as "analytics", because it makes
> > > vacuuming huge tables so much convenient.
> >
> > Is, "analytics" the latest in the DSS/OLAP/BI series of wacky
> > terms for, "system need not respond within a second?"
>
> WITH RECURSIVE and window functions both increase the expressiveness
> of PostgreSQL's dialect of SQL substantially, allowing users to ask
> interesting questions in a single query that would have been
> impossible to ask before.

Indeed.  I've been going around and boring people with this fact for
months :)

> These queries work on small data sets as well, so I don't think that
> these features are only useful for long-running queries.
>
> Do you have a word in mind that captures this benefit better than
> "analytics"? "Expressiveness" might work, but I don't think that
> people really associate that word with database systems.

Maybe that's the hook, then :)  POSTGRES, and INGRES before it, were
both from the "active database" camp, and we've taken it much further
with the PL zoo of languages to make PostgreSQL a highly capable
programming environment.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Date:
> Maybe that's the hook, then :)  POSTGRES, and INGRES before it, were
> both from the "active database" camp, and we've taken it much further
> with the PL zoo of languages to make PostgreSQL a highly capable
> programming environment.

Hmmm.  Seems like a rather difficult idea to get across to a general
tech blogger or MySQL-using developer.  Is there any way we could phrase
it that would work?

--Josh

Date:
On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 02:38:21PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

>> Maybe that's the hook, then :)  POSTGRES, and INGRES before it,
>> were both from the "active database" camp, and we've taken it much
>> further with the PL zoo of languages to make PostgreSQL a highly
>> capable programming environment.
>
> Hmmm.  Seems like a rather difficult idea to get across to a general
> tech blogger or MySQL-using developer.  Is there any way we could
> phrase  it that would work?

PostgreSQL gets smarter and more flexible.  Again!

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Time to start drafting the 8.4 release

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On Tuesday 31 March 2009 2:38:21 pm Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Maybe that's the hook, then :)  POSTGRES, and INGRES before it, were
> > both from the "active database" camp, and we've taken it much further
> > with the PL zoo of languages to make PostgreSQL a highly capable
> > programming environment.
>
> Hmmm.  Seems like a rather difficult idea to get across to a general
> tech blogger or MySQL-using developer.  Is there any way we could phrase
> it that would work?
>
> --Josh

Postgres, Not your fathers database
Postgres, You have the itch we have the scratch

Blame it on the caffeine :)

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net