Re: Time to start drafting the 8.4 release - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Time to start drafting the 8.4 release
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Actually, we have four basic theme ideas:

1) Smarter PG: more ability to develop "smart" applications on PG (David)
     Pro: It's what we do as a project
     Con: very similar to our theme last year

2) Fastest Developing Database: putting out a release *every* year, no
matter what (Josh)
     Pro: timely, given issues with other DBMSes
     Con: very similar to our theme last year

3) Maturity: After many years of development, PG has become
feature-complete in many areas. (Bruce)
     Pro: accurate
     Con: "maturity" ~ "stagnation"

4) BI/OLAP: focus on Windowing/Recursive.
     Pro: industry buzzword-compliant
     Con: don't have rest of toolset (Cube,etc.), ignores several major
features.

Given these, I'd think that combining (1) and (2) would probably be our
best route.  Thoughts?

--Josh