Ohio LinuxFest Booth

From
Josh Williams
Date:
A snip from a recent conversation on the local Linux users group list:

> I started using Postgres because of a Postgres
> CD that was handed out at Ohio LinuxFest last fall.  Postgres seemed
> similar to Microsoft SQL Server with which I've done a lot of work.

It actually feels rather fulfilling to hear about some of the direct
effects of our efforts.

On that topic, Ohio LinuxFest is around the corner again.  We had a few
folks last year, but this year I hadn't heard if anyone submitted a talk
so have yet to put in for a booth.  Anyone up for booth duty this year?

(And I certainly could use it as a kick in the pants to start to get
more involved once again...)

- Josh Williams

Re: Ohio LinuxFest Booth

From
Josh Williams
Date:
On Sat, 2008-09-06 at 13:11 -0400, Melanie wrote:
> Honestly, no paper will make it easier to talk him into it without a
> talk than with one.  What are the details? Is the booth set up for 2
> days or 1?  What is handed out?  When is set up?  I've worked booths
> in other worlds before, is this something where things are already set
> up and we're just basically sitting talking with people?  I'd assume
> so based on we don't have a booth to take and set up.   We attended PG
> West last year and it isn't on the plan for this year anyhow.  Andrew
> is about 65% sold on the idea and Columbus is about 8 hours from us,
> not too bad of a drive.

Hello Melanie,

You're correct, you wouldn't need to take a full both or table along.
We would need to coordinate getting swag, pamphlets and other printed
information, and banners and decorations and things like that, though.

Basically the conference would set up a table in whichever location
they've chosen for the PG booth.  In previous years I don't recall any
booth being out in the open, so it's probably a fairly safe assumption
that there would be a wall behind you for a banner.

Once the table is set up, many open source enthusiasts and other
interested parties will stop by and ask all kinds of questions about
Postgres (which generally tended to be in the form of "How does it
compare to Database X?")  And occasionally someone will drop by just to
express their support and donate, or grab swag and run, or even take
your picture - I was never able to figure that one out.

Most of the booth activity takes place between panels; it's relatively
idle the rest of the time.  The conference also takes place only that
Saturday.  An eight hour drive isn't too bad (that's about what it was
from here to East, and that was a solo drive) but keep in mind the
conference is only one day...

> I'm copying the list, I realized I didn't do a reply all the last
> time.

- Josh Williams

Re: Ohio LinuxFest Booth

From
Melanie
Date:
Andrew is on board.  If we should take the conversation offline that's great, let me know what needs organized and how
tostart organizing it and we'll take care of it.<br /><br /> Josh Williams wrote: <blockquote
cite="mid:1220891770.13862.20.camel@godzilla.local.scalefeather.com"type="cite"><pre wrap="">On Sat, 2008-09-06 at
[...]

 </pre></blockquote>

Re: Ohio LinuxFest Booth

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On Wednesday 10 September 2008 14:56, Melanie wrote:
>  1917 Castleburg Drive
>  Apex,  NC  27523-5188
>
>  That's Andrews address.  We're driving so we can take it up with us,
> but, getting it here will let me get it organized first.

And get it out of my living room.  Prepare to recieve, via UPS probably.

>  This saves me from putting out  a request for this stuff later.  Andrew
> wants to give out CD's with Postgres on it, thoughts where I might
> arrange to get those?

Well, we didn't print any on the West Coast because we've become concerned
about environmental issues.  We did get USB keys for "special
people" (they cost $9 each to buy) which could be used for handing out
images, but not to every attendee.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL
San Francisco

Re: Ohio LinuxFest Booth

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Wednesday 10 September 2008 19:18:06 Josh Berkus wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 September 2008 14:56, Melanie wrote:
> >  This saves me from putting out  a request for this stuff later.  Andrew
> > wants to give out CD's with Postgres on it, thoughts where I might
> > arrange to get those?
>
> Well, we didn't print any on the West Coast because we've become concerned
> about environmental issues.  We did get USB keys for "special
> people" (they cost $9 each to buy) which could be used for handing out
> images, but not to every attendee.

Yeah, you don't want to do that at OHLF, the audience is far too varied. I
could see CD's though, especially with the postive feedback that's been
received.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Ohio LinuxFest Booth

From
Melanie
Date:
Actually, I spoke with JD last night and we liked the idea of stickers that have the url on them.  I would expect most
peopleattending are tech savvy and even if they could give a rat's about the sustainability (hey, they might) they're
probablymore interested in getting their needs from the web vs crap that sits around.  Though everything mankind does
involvesthe environment, the products that can be made from recycled goods and/or can be recycled is obviously
ideal.<br/><br /> Hey Robert -  I understand you're involved in an open source show that is to be held in Atlanta.
wrote:<blockquote cite="mid:200809102244.52340.xzilla@users.sourceforge.net" type="cite"><pre wrap="">On Wednesday 10
stufflater.  Andrew

wants to give out CD's with Postgres on it, thoughts where I might
becomeconcerned

about environmental issues.  We did get USB keys for "special
people" (they cost $9 each to buy) which could be used for handing out
images, but not to every attendee.
Yeah, you don't want to do that at OHLF, the audience is far too varied. I
could see CD's though, especially with the postive feedback that's been
received.
 </pre></blockquote>

Re: Ohio LinuxFest Booth(revised)

From
Melanie
Date:
Let me clarify, that have the url for the download on them... <br /><br /> Melanie wrote: <blockquote
cite="mid:48C92210.4080204@dunslane.net"type="cite"> Actually, I spoke with JD last night and we liked the idea of
stickersthat have the url on them.  I would expect most people attending are tech savvy and even if they could give a
rat'sabout the sustainability (hey, they might) they're probably more interested in getting their needs from the web vs
crapthat sits around.  Though everything mankind does involves the environment, the products that can be made from
recycledgoods and/or can be recycled is obviously ideal.<br /><br /> Hey Robert -  I understand you're involved in an
opensource show that is to be held in Atlanta.  Atlanta is like 5 hours from us, we'd like to participate, what's
cite="mid:200809102244.52340.xzilla@users.sourceforge.net"type="cite"><pre wrap="">On Wednesday 10 September 2008

Date:
On Thursday 11 September 2008 09:50:08 Melanie wrote:
>  Actually, I spoke with JD last night and we liked the idea of stickers
> that have the url on them.  I would expect most people attending are tech
> savvy and even if they could give a rat's about the sustainability (hey,
> they might) they're probably more interested in getting their needs from
> the web vs crap that sits around.  Though everything mankind does involves
> the environment, the products that can be made from recycled goods and/or
> can be recycled is obviously ideal.

I was one who favored the idea of ditching the CD's before, but I think I was
more geared to the OSCon/Linuxworld crowd. Now, having though about it some
more, I think there is something to be said for having a live cd, where users
1) dont have to wait for a download (yeah, it isnt large, but the perception
might be) and more importantly 2) they can completely bypass the installation
process.  Yes, I know most people dont think installing postgres is hard, but
if you tell someone to apt-get postgres, and 5 minutes later they are staring
at IDENT errors... well, this is a barrier that a live cd's get's you past.

Don't get me wrong, I think stickers and pins would both be pretty good ideas
too.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Ohio LinuxFest Booth

From
Chander Ganesan
Melanie wrote:
> Actually, I spoke with JD last night and we liked the idea of stickers
> that have the url on them.  I would expect most people attending are
> tech savvy and even if they could give a rat's about the
> sustainability (hey, they might) they're probably more interested in
> getting their needs from the web vs crap that sits around.  Though
> everything mankind does involves the environment, the products that
> can be made from recycled goods and/or can be recycled is obviously ideal.
>
> Hey Robert -  I understand you're involved in an open source show that
> is to be held in Atlanta.  Atlanta is like 5 hours from us, we'd like
> to participate, what's involved?
I might be interested in this show as well...what gives Robert? :-)

thanks

chander

--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.

Re: Ohio LinuxFest Booth

From
Melanie
Date:
I spoke to Robert, he didn't know about it.  It turns out the show is
actually the UGA one that you were just posting about the the advocacy
list.

Melanie wrote:
> I spoke to Robert, he didn't know about it.  It turns out the show is
> actually the UGA one that you were just posting about the the advocacy
> list.
Well, if you decide to go, let me know.  I think I might just take the
train down from Cary....

--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.
One Copley Parkway, Suite 210
Morrisville, NC  27560
919-463-0999/877-258-8987
http://www.otg-nc.com

Re: Ohio LinuxFest Booth

From
"Michael Alan Brewer"
Date:
On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Melanie <melanie@dunslane.net> wrote:
> I spoke to Robert, he didn't know about it.  It turns out the show is
> actually the UGA one that you were just posting about the the advocacy list.

To clarify: It's a show for all the IT workers for all the state's
universities and colleges, not just UGA. ;)

---Michael Brewer
mbrewer@gmail.com

Re: Ohio LinuxFest Booth

From
Joshua Drake
Date:
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 17:45:25 -0400
"Michael Alan Brewer" <mbrewer@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Melanie <melanie@dunslane.net> wrote:
> > I spoke to Robert, he didn't know about it.  It turns out the show
> > is actually the UGA one that you were just posting about the the
> > advocacy list.
>
> To clarify: It's a show for all the IT workers for all the state's
> universities and colleges, not just UGA. ;)

What and when is this show again?

Joshua D. Drake

> ---Michael Brewer
> mbrewer@gmail.com

Re: Ohio LinuxFest Booth

From
Melanie
Date:
href="http://www.usg.edu/oiit/re/re08/generalinfo/">http://www.usg.edu/oiit/re/re08/generalinfo/</a>

Oct 22 to 24th..

wrap="">OnThu, 11 Sep 2008 17:45:25 -0400

"Michael Alan Brewer" <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:mbrewer@gmail.com"><mbrewer@gmail.com></a>
wrote:
wrap="">Ispoke to Robert, he didn't know about it.  It turns out the show

is actually the UGA one that you were just posting about the the
What and when is this show again?

Joshua D. Drake
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:mbrewer@gmail.com">mbrewer@gmail.com</a>
 </pre></blockquote>

Re: Ohio LinuxFest Booth

From
Joshua Drake
Date:
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 18:55:41 -0400
Melanie <melanie@dunslane.net> wrote:

> Not to take it away from Michael BUT:
>
> http://www.usg.edu/oiit/re/re08/generalinfo/
>
> Oct 22 to 24th..

Hmmm I might be teaching that week. Sigh.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: [SPAM] Re: Ohio LinuxFest Booth

From
Chander Ganesan
Date:

http://www.usg.edu/oiit/re/re08

--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.
One Copley Parkway, Suite 210
Morrisville, NC  27560
877-258-8987/919-463-0999
http://www.otg-nc.com

Re: Ohio LinuxFest Booth

From
Chander Ganesan
Date:
Michael Alan Brewer wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Melanie <melanie@dunslane.net> wrote:
>
>> I spoke to Robert, he didn't know about it.  It turns out the show is
>> actually the UGA one that you were just posting about the the advocacy list.
>>

> To clarify: It's a show for all the IT workers for all the state's
> universities and colleges, not just UGA. ;)
>
> ---Michael Brewer
> mbrewer@gmail.com

So, before I post an event for this, is anyone besides myself attending
this event?  Speaking on a PG related topic?

thanks

--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.
One Copley Parkway, Suite 210
Morrisville, NC  27560
919-463-0999/877-258-8987
http://www.otg-nc.com

Re: names of show's clarified

From
Melanie
Date:
For clarification, I believe Chandler is referring to Eagle Rock 2008 or

http://www.usg.edu/oiit/re/re08/generalinfo/

Andrew Dunstan and myself are currently planning on manning a booth at the Ohio Linuxfest.  Speaking of which - Josh
Berkus,you were mailing us a bunch of stuff for it, is that on the way?

We have 150 t-shirts coming to us for the booth, were you selling those at the booth?  Or, giving those for a donation
tothe PostgreSQL?
We're also planning on gathering email addy's to sign up for them, for those of you who have worked other booths, did
youjust do this on a notebook or did you have a particular format that was followed?

I'm a bit anal retentive about crossing my t's and dotting my i's, I appreciate everyones patience.  Once I've been
involvedin something like this, it's unlikely I'll ever ask again :-)

have a great day..

Chander Ganesan wrote:
> Michael Alan Brewer wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Melanie <melanie@dunslane.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I spoke to Robert, he didn't know about it.  It turns out the show is
>>> actually the UGA one that you were just posting about the the
>>> advocacy list.
>>>

>> To clarify: It's a show for all the IT workers for all the state's
>> universities and colleges, not just UGA. ;)
>>
>> ---Michael Brewer
>> mbrewer@gmail.com
>>

> So, before I post an event for this, is anyone besides myself
> attending this event?  Speaking on a PG related topic?
>
> thanks

I've gotten a response already to stuff.  Thx!