pg_live situation update

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
Hello all,

I've been preparing for next week to complete the latest version of pg_live.
All that remains is to install PostgreSQL. But now I'm presented with a
puzzle; reviewing PostgreSQL 8.3 made me realize that virtually every pl
language, except for the odd exception, that I've added in the past does not
have a functional version for 8.3. Please for all those who maintain a
project i.e. pljava, plr, slony etc. please be advised that I would like to
have something ready to submit to the European community to meet their own
deadline by end of next week. I would appreciate a reply as soon as
convenient. Some of you have already told me the status of your projects but
others because I haven't yet taken the opportunity of contacting you.

To date in addition to the default stuff I'm also looking to install: pljava,
slony, plr, and plruby. And, oh by the way, if you can think of other
projects that you think would be usefull by all means tell me and I'll see if
I have the time to look integrate it into the ISO.

If I can't get compliant modules for 8.3 in a timely manner then in order to
preserve the functionality of pg_live as a demonstration and teaching tool
I'm going to create a hybrid version with 'two' versions of PostgreSQL i.e.
8.2.x and 8.3. However, 8.3 will be a bare bones implementation without any
enhanced capabilities (outside of what is already there in the contribs)
while 8.2.x will have all the bells and whistles.

One other matter; I've adjusted the install script so that this new version of
pg_live will install all the pg enhancements in a clean manner on a machine
using the Ubuntu installation scripts.

regards

Robert

Re: pg_live situation update

From
Kris Jurka

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Robert Bernier wrote:

> To date in addition to the default stuff I'm also looking to install: pljava,
> slony, plr, and plruby.

pljava has released a 8.3 version.

http://pgfoundry.org/frs/?group_id=1000038&release_id=1024

Kris Jurka

Re: pg_live situation update

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
Hello Robert, hello all,

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 20:16:49 -0500 Robert Bernier wrote:

> One other matter; I've adjusted the install script so that this new version of
> pg_live will install all the pg enhancements in a clean manner on a machine
> using the Ubuntu installation scripts.

We had some live CD's at FOSDEM as a give-away, thank you for your
effort to make this possible.

On the other hand we noted, that we need a lot more improvements
for the live-CD to make it usable. Some examples, maybe one or two
web-based applications come into my mind.

It is almost impossible to send you a new update/patch, you incorporate
the update and release a new version and after that we test, if the new
version actually does what we expect.
So what do you think, is it possible to create a pgfoundry project for
the live-CD's to that everyone can create his own iso image? I assume
you have some scripts which do all the nasty work, download packages
and create the iso image, or?

Kind regards

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: pg_live situation update

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
On Wednesday 27 February 2008 09:12, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:

> Hello Robert, hello all,
>
> On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 20:16:49 -0500 Robert Bernier wrote:
>
> > One other matter; I've adjusted the install script so that this new
version of
> > pg_live will install all the pg enhancements in a clean manner on a
machine
> > using the Ubuntu installation scripts.
>
> We had some live CD's at FOSDEM as a give-away, thank you for your
> effort to make this possible.
>
>  we need a lot more improvements...
>  Some examples, maybe one or two
> web-based applications come into my mind...
> ... Is it possible to create a pgfoundry project for
> the live-CD's to that everyone can create his own iso image? I assume
> you have some scripts which do all the nasty work, download packages
> and create the iso image, or?

There is a copy of scripts that I use located in the main directory of the
ISO "HOWTO.custom-livecd". It includes documentation describing the creation
of the ISO's development environment. Please note that my machine's OS is
similar to the distribution of pg_live so as to better debug and avoid
incompatibility issues. Another reason for a parrallel OS is to avoid
installing the compiler and development libraries on pg_live. Otherwise, I
would end up adding a significant amount of unecesary development libraries
to pg_live.

The idea of further evolving the scripts where it would prepare the
development environment using a 'clean' version of Xbuntu is appealing.
There's a lot a questions that you would have to first answer. For instance,
what packages would you want removed to keep it within a reasonable size?
What documentation would you include? Then there's bugs; for example, I am
forced to use apache 1.3 and php 4 because phppgadmin doesn't work right with
apache 2.0 in the live CD environment (although this is not to say you
couldn't use apache 2.0 after installing it on the machine).

Developing clean room install scripts is possible, but there's a lot of work
involved. It took me a couple of hundred hours to create the latest
distribution from scratch, mostly because of all the debugging each decision
I took entailed. Now that it's complete, creating versions of pg_live with
new documentation,locales, applications or even a new version of postgres
itself can now be regenerated with little effort.

cheers

robert

Re: pg_live situation update

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
Hi,

On Wed, 2008-02-27 at 10:26 -0500, Robert Bernier wrote:
> I am  forced to use apache 1.3 and php 4 because phppgadmin doesn't
> work right with apache 2.0 in the live CD environment (although this
> is not to say you couldn't use apache 2.0 after installing it on the
> machine).

Huh? The live CD that I built on top of Fedora, runs Apache 2.2.8 and
php 5.2.4, and there is not a problem with phpPgAdmin...
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE

Re: pg_live situation update

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
Hi Devrim,

On Thursday 28 February 2008 13:43, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-02-27 at 10:26 -0500, Robert Bernier wrote:
> > I am  forced to use apache 1.3 and php 4 because phppgadmin doesn't
> > work right with apache 2.0 in the live CD environment (although this
> > is not to say you couldn't use apache 2.0 after installing it on the
> > machine).
>
> Huh? The live CD that I built on top of Fedora, runs Apache 2.2.8 and
> php 5.2.4, and there is not a problem with phpPgAdmin...

I can't figure it out either. It only occurs in the live CD environment itself. No doubt it's something incredibly
sillyand if I put enough time into it I will solve it.

robert

Re: pg_live situation update

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
Hello,

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 13:48:07 -0500 Robert Bernier wrote:

> I can't figure it out either. It only occurs in the live CD environment itself. No doubt it's something incredibly
sillyand if I put enough time into it I will solve it.

now what about creating a pgfoundry project so more ppl can help to
debug this problem and add more features?

Kind regards

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: pg_live situation update

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
HI Andreas,

On Thursday 28 February 2008 19:01, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 13:48:07 -0500 Robert Bernier wrote:
>
> > I can't figure it out either. It only occurs in the live CD environment
> > itself. No doubt it's something incredibly silly and if I put enough time
> > into it I will solve it.
>
> now what about creating a pgfoundry project so more ppl can help to
> debug this problem and add more features?

Excellent idea! Let's see what kind of time I have "in a couple of months" to
devote to this project :-)

robert

Re: pg_live situation update

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 07:35:45PM -0500, Robert Bernier wrote:
> HI Andreas,
> On Thursday 28 February 2008 19:01, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> > On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 13:48:07 -0500 Robert Bernier wrote:
> >
> > > I can't figure it out either. It only occurs in the live CD
> > > environment itself. No doubt it's something incredibly silly and
> > > if I put enough time into it I will solve it.
> >
> > now what about creating a pgfoundry project so more ppl can help
> > to debug this problem and add more features?
>
> Excellent idea! Let's see what kind of time I have "in a couple of
> months" to devote to this project :-)

I have a much better idea: start right now, putting up whatever you
have in whatever form you have it, and let others help.  I guarantee
your pgfoundry project will get fast track approval ;)

Or you can decide to tank your part in this project by stalling a few
months.  Up to you.

Cheers,
David

Remember to vote!

Re: pg_live situation update

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
On Friday 29 February 2008 02:33, David Fetter wrote:
> I have a much better idea: start right now, putting up whatever you
> have in whatever form you have it, and let others help.  I guarantee
> your pgfoundry project will get fast track approval ;)

Then upload pg_live itself into pgfoundry. The CD can be turned into it's own development environment.

cheers

Re: pg_live situation update

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
Andreas,

I've always intended to automate the creation of the pg_live development
environment. And to that end I've been creating extensive checklists
documenting each step. Once the checklists were complete I was planning on
creating one large script that would then generate the development
environment.

Up till now, I wasn't in a big rush because nobody except me seemed to have an
interest in developing the project. So it's a bit of a surprise to now have
people asking to work with it.

On Friday 29 February 2008 08:22, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> Register a project, upload your scripts, give some useful hints where
> ppl can start and others will jump on the train and try to help you.

What I could do is to create the project, as you suggest, and upload the
scripts as they now exist. Hopefully they're in a form that most people would
be able to understand and develop.

regards

Robert