Press Release review comments

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
Just reading the Press Release for 8.3
http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/press/pr/releases/8.3/en/release.txt

Few thoughts spring to mind

- Just in time background writer changes are nice, but since we already
mention the load distributed checkpoints (a closely related feature), it
seems we are saying too much at the expense of other features.

- Asynch Commit is a seriously important feature, not necessarily for
existing users but definitely for people used to MySQL's speed and lack
of robustness with myisam tables. It's an important message that we can
get the speed of myisam and at the same time the robustness of Postgres.
I don't suggest that we specifically mention mysql, but it is a feature
that will alter many people's perception of Postgres, so we should talk
about it somewhere.

So I suggest we swap Just-in-time for Async Commit.

(To forestall any negative comment, I would add: Yes, I did write that
code, but I wrote it *because* of its importance to a wide range of
people that might now consider PostgreSQL. No, I'm not asking for my
name in brackets anywhere.)

Lastly, the press contacts listed are all on the North American
continent and within a few hours of each other. I don't think we gain
much by having a 3rd contact from that part of the world. There are
English speaking countries all around the world in almost every
timezone, obviously England, but also South Africa, Australia, New
Zealand and many more. If we mention only North America, it detracts
significantly from the "Global Presence" message we would wish to
convey. That is a point all by itself, I guess.

The total European market size is the roughly the same as the North
American market in terms of people, money etc. South Pacific market is
also large and probably further into open source than some parts of
Europe. It really is high time we got the idea across that open source
and Postgres, in particular, is not solely a US project. I mean no
disrespect at all to any of my fine colleagues, but the geographical
location of the chair in which we sit has very little to do with our
mission, goals, teamwork, communication channels or whatever. The same
isn't true of our external communications, which definitely are affected
by local issues, markets and definitely by timezones.

So I suggest we have a press contact in either England or Australia
listed, instead of one of the three contacts. In time, I hope that we
would see an American, European and Australasian contact on the list, so
we have a much wider distribution of support. Or others.

If other languages want to have global representation that would be good
also, for example Spanish-speaking contacts in the Americas and Europe.
(I haven't checked). I don't see any reason why a country has to speak a
particular language for it to be represented either. For example the
Japanese press release might reasonably wish to have a European contact
also, since many businesses and their leaders speak Japanese, even if
the countries in which they operate do not. The same thinking might
apply to a range of other languages.

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: Press Release review comments

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Simon Riggs wrote:
> Just reading the Press Release for 8.3
> http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/press/pr/releases/8.3/en/release.txt
>
> Few thoughts spring to mind
>
> - Just in time background writer changes are nice, but since we already
> mention the load distributed checkpoints (a closely related feature), it
> seems we are saying too much at the expense of other features.
>
> - Asynch Commit is a seriously important feature, not necessarily for
> existing users but definitely for people used to MySQL's speed and lack
> of robustness with myisam tables. It's an important message that we can
> get the speed of myisam and at the same time the robustness of Postgres.
> I don't suggest that we specifically mention mysql, but it is a feature
> that will alter many people's perception of Postgres, so we should talk
> about it somewhere.

+1

> So I suggest we swap Just-in-time for Async Commit.
>
> (To forestall any negative comment, I would add: Yes, I did write that
> code, but I wrote it *because* of its importance to a wide range of
> people that might now consider PostgreSQL. No, I'm not asking for my
> name in brackets anywhere.)

Ahh man why did you have to bring that up... No I have to take back my +1 :P

> Lastly, the press contacts listed are all on the North American
> continent and within a few hours of each other.

Canada != U.S. I think this makes sense.

  > The total European market size is the roughly the same as the North
> American market in terms of people, money etc. South Pacific market is
> also large and probably further into open source than some parts of
> Europe. It really is high time we got the idea across that open source
> and Postgres, in particular, is not solely a US project. I mean no

That's true.

> disrespect at all to any of my fine colleagues, but the geographical
> location of the chair in which we sit has very little to do with our
> mission, goals, teamwork, communication channels or whatever. The same
> isn't true of our external communications, which definitely are affected
> by local issues, markets and definitely by timezones.

I think this is thread hi-jacking :). There are a whole lots of issues
that you just brought up that are worth discussing but certainly not on
this thread :)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Press Release review comments

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Friday 14 December 2007 10:42, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> > Just reading the Press Release for 8.3
> > http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/press/pr/releases/8.3/en/rele
> >ase.txt
> >
> > Few thoughts spring to mind
> >
> > - Just in time background writer changes are nice, but since we already
> > mention the load distributed checkpoints (a closely related feature), it
> > seems we are saying too much at the expense of other features.
> >
> > - Asynch Commit is a seriously important feature, not necessarily for
> > existing users but definitely for people used to MySQL's speed and lack
> > of robustness with myisam tables. It's an important message that we can
> > get the speed of myisam and at the same time the robustness of Postgres.
> > I don't suggest that we specifically mention mysql, but it is a feature
> > that will alter many people's perception of Postgres, so we should talk
> > about it somewhere.
>
> +1

Simon, have you tested async_commit performance with any of the the beta
releases?  I was involved in a conversation on irc the other day that had
some anecdotale reports that async_commit was not giving significant speed
benfits, perhaps as a result of the other tuning and work that has gone into
the release later in the development cycle. I've not had chance to verify
this info, so I was wondering if you had.

--
Robert Treat

Date:
On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 15:22 -0500, Robert Treat wrote:

> Simon, have you tested async_commit performance with any of the the beta
> releases?  I was involved in a conversation on irc the other day that had
> some anecdotale reports that async_commit was not giving significant speed
> benfits, perhaps as a result of the other tuning and work that has gone into
> the release later in the development cycle. I've not had chance to verify
> this info, so I was wondering if you had.

Few of the features in 8.3 apply to all workloads, so such anecdotes
could be applied to any of them.

I don't think other tuning would mask that.

I measured ~900% performance gain on a pure INSERT workload. Any
transaction whose major component is the commit time will benefit from
increased performance, i.e. short transactions get even faster. Many web
apps fall into this category, especially those currently running on
MySQL, Solid etc. But its also easy to come up with workloads that would
show no gain at all.

HOT has been similarly misunderstood, though I feel we now have a good
understanding that it prevents performance drops, rather than simply
being a boost in itself, as was originally thought.

Of course, if anybody has some negative performance test cases for Async
Commit, we'd be able to discuss those.

But from all the things that have happened in recent weeks, I'm now
wondering how much information is out there about all the performance
features that have been added, and when to make use of them.

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: Press Release review comments

From
Gregory Stark
Date:
"Robert Treat" <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> Simon, have you tested async_commit performance with any of the the beta
> releases?  I was involved in a conversation on irc the other day that had
> some anecdotale reports that async_commit was not giving significant speed
> benfits, perhaps as a result of the other tuning and work that has gone into
> the release later in the development cycle. I've not had chance to verify
> this info, so I was wondering if you had.

It depends a lot on your workload. If you have many parallel connections
keeping the i/o controller busy you might not see much change. Alternately if
you have large updates then the 5-15ms waiting for fsync may make little
impact.

Where it helps a lot is on workloads like simple web applications which flood
the server with tons of short updates on a handful of connections.

--
  Gregory Stark

Re: Press Release review comments

From
Dave Page
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Lastly, the press contacts listed are all on the North American
>> continent and within a few hours of each other.
>
> Canada != U.S. I think this makes sense.

No, but both are North America, and many people on this side of the pond
don't consider there to be a huge difference between the two. There is a
much more clear difference between North America and Europe or Australaisa.

/D

Date:

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> One could be said the same about France and Germany, although I don't
> the French and Germans feel that way... Or the Brits and Irish.

France and Germany are seperated by language so I don't think they
count. As a Brit I certainly feel much closer (not just geographically)
to our Irish neighbours than the US or Canada.

In any case, I agree with Simon on this one - we should list
geographically diverse contacts on the press releases whereever
possible, if only to illustrate how global our presence is.

/D

Date:

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> I believe the contacts should be geographically located to the region
> in which the PR will be presented.
>
> E.g; if you have UK press that this will go to, then absolutely lets
> get the UK contact listed for those. However if it is U.S. Press it
> needs to be North American Contacts, preferrably U.S. contacts.

Yes, exactly. I assume we're not saying we only want the US/Canadian
press to pickup our release, but also want English language
European/Australaisian publications to pick it up? That's exactly why it
makes sense to try to include contacts from some of those regions.

> P.S. Canadians and Americans do not think they speak the same
> language :P

Yeah, so I've heard :-)

/D

Re: Press Release review comments

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On Fri, 14 Dec 2007, Simon Riggs wrote:

> I measured ~900% performance gain on a pure INSERT workload. Any
> transaction whose major component is the commit time will benefit from
> increased performance, i.e. short transactions get even faster.

I saw something in the multi-hundred percent range as well for some simple
benchmarks.  The huge win is cases where right now the limiter is the rate
of commits to disk, and in other situations I wouldn't be surprised to
find little or no improvement.

I'm not sure how to make that distinction clear to regular users though.
I've been thinking about it since your first message in this thread, and
so far I'm at a loss as to how to fairly and accurately characterize the
improvement in a way that's short enough to put into the press release.
It's hard to say any variant on "you can trade-off reliability for speed"
without sounding like you don't care about reliability; you need the
context that some competitors have been doing that already without making
it so obvious to appreciate the feature.

> Many web apps fall into this category, especially those currently
> running on MySQL, Solid etc.

When I was working on the big MySQL comparison piece over the summer, the
only upcoming 8.3 feature I mentioned by name was async commit because it
will shift the landscape more than anything else.  You certainly have my
vote that it's more noteworthy than the background writer changes, but
writing a description blurb saying that may take some work.  Maybe you
should hire the PR people those guys who worked on the BGW change used,
they managed to get a small tuning feature listed right up there in the
big press release.

Re: Press Release review comments

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
On Friday 14 December 2007 17:10, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> P.S. Canadians and Americans do not think they speak the same
> language :P

Especially when it's in French ;-)

Robert

Date:

Re: Press Release review comments

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Simon,

> Just reading the Press Release for 8.3
> http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/press/pr/releases/8.3/en/rel
>ease.txt

Note that this isn't publically accessible.  People have to have CVS rights
to it.  That's on purpose, because it's important that the quotes *not*
get distributed to the press before official release date -- and a couple
reporters read this list archives.  Hi, guys!

> So I suggest we swap Just-in-time for Async Commit.

I don't necessarily disagree with the priorities, but your changes are kind
of untimely.  That text was there for over a month of discussion -- it's
gone out to the translators already.  I'm sorry to be negative when you're
trying to help, but I *begged* people to comment and correct in November.

So, do you feel that making the change is worth potentially having some of
the translated versions be inconsistent because they don't get updated?

> Lastly, the press contacts listed are all on the North American
> continent and within a few hours of each other.

That's because the version you're looking at is the one I'm going to send
out to the North American press, and is provided as an example.  The one
you send out would, of course, have your and Raymond's contact info, and
the one Charles sends out would have his.  To look at the *general*
version, look in 8.3/translate -- that version will get filled in with the
appropriate regional contacts for that language.

> I don't see any reason why a country has to speak a
> particular language for it to be represented either. For example the
> Japanese press release might reasonably wish to have a European contact
> also, since many businesses and their leaders speak Japanese, even if
> the countries in which they operate do not. The same thinking might
> apply to a range of other languages.

I'm not clear on what you're suggesting we do differently?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Press Release review comments

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 02:10:52PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> P.S. Canadians and Americans do not think they speak the same
> language :P

Yeah, eh?  Like, those Merricans are, like, _losers_, but like, we're just a
bucha hosers, eh?  Now I gotta go get me a cruller to wash down this
two-four.  Or maybe the other way around.

Andrew "McKenzie" Sullivan
Tuhranna

Date:
On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 03:36:21PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> As I recall the French speaking part of Canada doesn't actually
> consider themselves true Canadians :P

As any Acadian will tell you, the Province of Quebec is not all of French
Canada.

Date:
On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 09:42:15PM +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> France and Germany are seperated by language so I don't think they

So is Canada and, um, Canada ;-)

Date:
On Friday 14 December 2007 18:49, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 09:42:15PM +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> > France and Germany are seperated by language so I don't think they
>
> So is Canada and, um, Canada ;-)

so true

and Belguim has French, Flemish and German

and Switzerland has French and German and English (business only)

and the Brits have the Welsh :-)

Robert

Re: Press Release review comments

From
"Dave Page"

You might want to double check that. I can get it with no authentication at all.

/D

Date:
On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 15:40 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Note that this isn't publically accessible.  People have to have CVS rights
> to it.  That's on purpose, because it's important that the quotes *not*
> get distributed to the press before official release date -- and a couple
> reporters read this list archives.  Hi, guys!

OK, sorry.

> > So I suggest we swap Just-in-time for Async Commit.
>
> I don't necessarily disagree with the priorities, but your changes are kind
> of untimely.  That text was there for over a month of discussion -- it's
> gone out to the translators already.  I'm sorry to be negative when you're
> trying to help, but I *begged* people to comment and correct in November.

Apologies again.

> So, do you feel that making the change is worth potentially having some of
> the translated versions be inconsistent because they don't get updated?

In short, Yes.

> > Lastly, the press contacts listed are all on the North American
> > continent and within a few hours of each other.
>
> That's because the version you're looking at is the one I'm going to send
> out to the North American press, and is provided as an example.  The one
> you send out would, of course, have your and Raymond's contact info, and
> the one Charles sends out would have his.  To look at the *general*
> version, look in 8.3/translate -- that version will get filled in with the
> appropriate regional contacts for that language.

OK, well this all makes sense. I didn't realise I was allowed to modify
the UK version. That covers most of my thinking. I'll put myself, Ray
and Dave on there if thats OK with them.

I still think it would be helpful to have an International version for
when recipients are multi-national, but thats just a nice to have.

--

Dave Page wrote:

>>> Just reading the Press Release for 8.3
>>> http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/press/pr/releases/8.3/en/rel
>>> ease.txt
>> Note that this isn't publically accessible.  People have to have CVS rights
>> to it.
>
> You might want to double check that. I can get it with no authentication at all.

As can I.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Press Release review comments

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

> >> Note that this isn't publically accessible.  People have to have CVS
> >> rights to it.
> >
> > You might want to double check that. I can get it with no authentication
> > at all.
>
> As can I.

Crapola.  Apparently there's no way to meaningfully secure CVSweb?

Can we somehow exclude one pgfoundry project from CVSweb?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,

>>> You might want to double check that. I can get it with no authentication
>>> at all.
>> As can I.
>
> Crapola.  Apparently there's no way to meaningfully secure CVSweb?
>
> Can we somehow exclude one pgfoundry project from CVSweb?

We should be able to do it in the apache config. I will take a look at
it this weekend (once I recover from a bout of some 24 hour virus).

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Press Release review comments

Date:
Simon Riggs wrote:
> > > So I suggest we swap Just-in-time for Async Commit.
> >
> > I don't necessarily disagree with the priorities, but your changes are kind
> > of untimely.  That text was there for over a month of discussion -- it's
> > gone out to the translators already.  I'm sorry to be negative when you're
> > trying to help, but I *begged* people to comment and correct in November.
>
> Apologies again.
>
> > So, do you feel that making the change is worth potentially having some of
> > the translated versions be inconsistent because they don't get updated?
>
> In short, Yes.

Yea, I have async commit as the first item the performance section of
the release notes because it is our #1 performance improvment in terms
of new performance capabilities.