Re: Press Release review comments - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Press Release review comments
Date
Re: Press Release review comments
List pgsql-advocacy
On Friday 14 December 2007 10:42, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> > Just reading the Press Release for 8.3
> > http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/press/pr/releases/8.3/en/rele
> >ase.txt
> >
> > Few thoughts spring to mind
> >
> > - Just in time background writer changes are nice, but since we already
> > mention the load distributed checkpoints (a closely related feature), it
> > seems we are saying too much at the expense of other features.
> >
> > - Asynch Commit is a seriously important feature, not necessarily for
> > existing users but definitely for people used to MySQL's speed and lack
> > of robustness with myisam tables. It's an important message that we can
> > get the speed of myisam and at the same time the robustness of Postgres.
> > I don't suggest that we specifically mention mysql, but it is a feature
> > that will alter many people's perception of Postgres, so we should talk
> > about it somewhere.
>
> +1

Simon, have you tested async_commit performance with any of the the beta
releases?  I was involved in a conversation on irc the other day that had
some anecdotale reports that async_commit was not giving significant speed
benfits, perhaps as a result of the other tuning and work that has gone into
the release later in the development cycle. I've not had chance to verify
this info, so I was wondering if you had.

--
Robert Treat