Cafeconf 2007

From
"Guido Barosio"
Date:
Guys,

   I will be presenting a SWOT  analysis between PostgreSQL and MySQL
at the cafeconf 2007 event, Buenos Aires Argentina.

  The focus will stand on default instalations and what does
transaction represents for both engines. Obviously, aiming at
PostgreSQL advocacy in the comunity.

   I am not going to be able to support a both, but I can manage to
get some support to print flyers and let them flush some student
brains, as the event will take place at one of the most important
universities in the country. Cafeconf 2007 represents the open source
comunity effort at Argentina and occurs yearly.

   The support for printing this flyers would come from the company,
Globant.com.

   Hints apreciated, where can I get some brochures / flyers / papers / etc ?

--
Guido Barosio
-----------------------

Re: Cafeconf 2007

From
"Guido Barosio"
Date:
echo reply?

--
Guido Barosio
-----------------------

Re: Cafeconf 2007

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Guido,

Heh, now you see the uselessness of the PostgreSQL-Advocacy list.  If
it's not about Postgres vs. PostgreSQL vs. MySQL, you don't get an answer.

So, here's some useful information:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/techdocs.83
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/techdocs.84

Also, I'm concerned ... what do you mean by "default install"?

--Josh

Re: Cafeconf 2007

From
"Guido Barosio"
Date:
Thanks Josh,

   Regarding the "Default install", my idea is to explain the big gap
between both engines from a fresh  and default install. This gap will
"stdout" things more clearly rather than just saying "this engine is
fecking far better", letting the students/public arrive to a clear
understanding in order to make better decitions in the future.

  For instance:

 "CREATE TABLE (a serial, b varchar);"

  Teacher: "You pupil, can you let me know the differences between the
two implementations?"

  So far, that's the idea, to introduce a SWOT analysis based on this mindset.

thanks for the docs!

--
Guido Barosio
-----------------------

Re: Cafeconf 2007

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Friday 28 September 2007 10:03, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Guido,
>
> Heh, now you see the uselessness of the PostgreSQL-Advocacy list.  If
> it's not about Postgres vs. PostgreSQL vs. MySQL, you don't get an answer.
>
> So, here's some useful information:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/techdocs.83
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/techdocs.84

I was digging around trying to find translatted versions of these, but since
things have hit Berkus' useless meter, let me just point you at
http://pgfoundry.org/docman/?group_id=1000047. Toward the bottom are some
flyers you could translate.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Cafeconf 2007

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On Fri, 28 Sep 2007, Josh Berkus wrote:

> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/techdocs.83
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/techdocs.84

Quick update on these...I've been informed of two issues I'm told are
incorrect in there:

-I suggest ALTER TABLE need a more aggressive lock on MySQL than Postgres,
which isn't true.

-The MySQL InnoDB implementation is mathematically serializable, where as
the Postgres one isn't, so in that particular case they actually implement
more strict transaction semantics.

I'll be fixing the text when I get time to address these fully, just
didn't want anyone else to propagate these mistakes before I get to it.

Re: Cafeconf 2007

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 13:10 -0400, Greg Smith wrote:

> -The MySQL InnoDB implementation is mathematically serializable, where as
> the Postgres one isn't, so in that particular case they actually implement
> more strict transaction semantics.

Some evidence of what you say would go down nicely.

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com