Should core decide the name?

From
Ron Peterson
Date:
I'm going to repost the question I posed in my last email as the start
of what I'm hoping might be a thread to end this discussion.

Are you willing to accept the resolution of the naming question as a
pronouncement from core, who can decide the matter amongst themselves
however they see fit?

+1 for me.

--
Ron Peterson
https://www.yellowbank.com/

Re: Should core decide the name?

From
"Dawid Kuroczko"
Date:
On 8/31/07, Ron Peterson <ron.peterson@yellowbank.com> wrote:
> I'm going to repost the question I posed in my last email as the start
> of what I'm hoping might be a thread to end this discussion.
>
> Are you willing to accept the resolution of the naming question as a
> pronouncement from core, who can decide the matter amongst themselves
> however they see fit?
>
> +1 for me.

Personally I feel that it goes without saying.  They [the core] do most
of the work, and they do excellent work, so I feel confident that whatever
they choose will be for the best.  They should be the ones to decide
such important matters -- it is their blood and sweat in the source code. :)

I don't want to say that community has no voice in it -- it has, and it
is important, just as the community is important for our favourite RDBMS,
but I would hate to usurp power over Core. :)

   Regards,
     Dawid

Re: Should core decide the name?

Date:
Dawid Kuroczko wrote:
> On 8/31/07, Ron Peterson <ron.peterson@yellowbank.com> wrote:
> > I'm going to repost the question I posed in my last email as the start
> > of what I'm hoping might be a thread to end this discussion.
> >
> > Are you willing to accept the resolution of the naming question as a
> > pronouncement from core, who can decide the matter amongst themselves
> > however they see fit?
> >
> > +1 for me.
>
> Personally I feel that it goes without saying.  They [the core] do most
> of the work, and they do excellent work, so I feel confident that whatever
> they choose will be for the best.  They should be the ones to decide
> such important matters -- it is their blood and sweat in the source code. :)
>
> I don't want to say that community has no voice in it -- it has, and it
> is important, just as the community is important for our favourite RDBMS,
> but I would hate to usurp power over Core. :)

Uh, really the community puts in as much work or more than the core
people.  The idea that core is doing most of the work is something I
hope is never true.  Core are just figureheads when leadership is needed
in non-technical cases.  Of course, this naming thing might be such a
case (break ties).

Re: Should core decide the name?

From
"Gavin M. Roy"
Date:
It likely will not happen without a decision from core, imho.  This
would be a good thing for the core to do.  What would be helpful is at
the very least, for core to come out in favor of or against, as a
group.  Otherwise we're going to go in circles, chasing our tails on
this subject.  Nether side of the divide in the community are likely
to change their minds and as such, we won't achieve any sort of
meaningful consensus.

Gavin

Date:
On 8/31/07, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Dawid Kuroczko wrote:
> > Personally I feel that it goes without saying.  They [the core] do most
> > of the work, and they do excellent work, so I feel confident that whatever
> > they choose will be for the best.  They should be the ones to decide
> > such important matters -- it is their blood and sweat in the source code. :)
> >
> > I don't want to say that community has no voice in it -- it has, and it
> > is important, just as the community is important for our favourite RDBMS,
> > but I would hate to usurp power over Core. :)
>
> Uh, really the community puts in as much work or more than the core
> people.  The idea that core is doing most of the work is something I
> hope is never true.  Core are just figureheads when leadership is needed
> in non-technical cases.  Of course, this naming thing might be such a
> case (break ties).

Perhaps I wrote it from wrong angle.  I feel that the more people do
to help the project, the more vote they should have in matters like
this.  In other words I feel that I should have much less vote than
you do -- exactly because so far you did a lot of work and I have not.

It should not stop me from voicing my opinions (and it does not ;)),
but it should not in my power to have a deciding vote.

   Regards,
      Dawid

Re: Should core decide the name?

Date:
Dawid Kuroczko wrote:
> On 8/31/07, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > Dawid Kuroczko wrote:
> > > Personally I feel that it goes without saying.  They [the core] do most
> > > of the work, and they do excellent work, so I feel confident that whatever
> > > they choose will be for the best.  They should be the ones to decide
> > > such important matters -- it is their blood and sweat in the source code. :)
> > >
> > > I don't want to say that community has no voice in it -- it has, and it
> > > is important, just as the community is important for our favourite RDBMS,
> > > but I would hate to usurp power over Core. :)
> >
> > Uh, really the community puts in as much work or more than the core
> > people.  The idea that core is doing most of the work is something I
> > hope is never true.  Core are just figureheads when leadership is needed
> > in non-technical cases.  Of course, this naming thing might be such a
> > case (break ties).
>
> Perhaps I wrote it from wrong angle.  I feel that the more people do
> to help the project, the more vote they should have in matters like
> this.  In other words I feel that I should have much less vote than
> you do -- exactly because so far you did a lot of work and I have not.
>
> It should not stop me from voicing my opinions (and it does not ;)),
> but it should not in my power to have a deciding vote.

Typically at this stage everyone gives arguments about why their option
is best, and then either we align with a general agreement (unlikely),
or we take a vote or core weighs in and hopefull that leads to general
agreement.

However, looking at the core members who have already voted publicly
here, I don't think they have a unified voice either.

Re: Should core decide the name?

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Thursday 30 August 2007 21:16, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Dawid Kuroczko wrote:
> > On 8/31/07, Ron Peterson <ron.peterson@yellowbank.com> wrote:
> > > I'm going to repost the question I posed in my last email as the start
> > > of what I'm hoping might be a thread to end this discussion.
> > >
> > > Are you willing to accept the resolution of the naming question as a
> > > pronouncement from core, who can decide the matter amongst themselves
> > > however they see fit?
> > >
> > > +1 for me.
> >
> > Personally I feel that it goes without saying.  They [the core] do most
> > of the work, and they do excellent work, so I feel confident that
> > whatever they choose will be for the best.  They should be the ones to
> > decide such important matters -- it is their blood and sweat in the
> > source code. :)
> >
> > I don't want to say that community has no voice in it -- it has, and it
> > is important, just as the community is important for our favourite RDBMS,
> > but I would hate to usurp power over Core. :)
>
> Uh, really the community puts in as much work or more than the core
> people.  The idea that core is doing most of the work is something I
> hope is never true.  Core are just figureheads when leadership is needed
> in non-technical cases.  Of course, this naming thing might be such a
> case (break ties).

Well, we can't change the name unless core is on board, since it will require
changes in the source code.  Of course we'll also need to aquire domain names
too, so even a decision by core that we want to change the name would require
some waiting period to see if it could really pan out.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Should core decide the name?

Date:
Robert Treat wrote:
> On Thursday 30 August 2007 21:16, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Dawid Kuroczko wrote:

> > > Personally I feel that it goes without saying.  They [the core] do most
> > > of the work, and they do excellent work, so I feel confident that
> > > whatever they choose will be for the best.  They should be the ones to
> > > decide such important matters -- it is their blood and sweat in the
> > > source code. :)
> > >
> > > I don't want to say that community has no voice in it -- it has, and it
> > > is important, just as the community is important for our favourite RDBMS,
> > > but I would hate to usurp power over Core. :)
> >
> > Uh, really the community puts in as much work or more than the core
> > people.  The idea that core is doing most of the work is something I
> > hope is never true.  Core are just figureheads when leadership is needed
> > in non-technical cases.  Of course, this naming thing might be such a
> > case (break ties).
>
> Well, we can't change the name unless core is on board, since it will require
> changes in the source code.  Of course we'll also need to aquire domain names
> too, so even a decision by core that we want to change the name would require
> some waiting period to see if it could really pan out.

Only "Postgres" requires domain names, "PostgresQL" does not.  Of course
core could make any changes, but cvs committers could make the change
too.

Re: Should core decide the name?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"