Re: Should core decide the name? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Should core decide the name?
Date
Re: Should core decide the name?
Re: Should core decide the name?
List pgsql-advocacy
Dawid Kuroczko wrote:
> On 8/31/07, Ron Peterson <ron.peterson@yellowbank.com> wrote:
> > I'm going to repost the question I posed in my last email as the start
> > of what I'm hoping might be a thread to end this discussion.
> >
> > Are you willing to accept the resolution of the naming question as a
> > pronouncement from core, who can decide the matter amongst themselves
> > however they see fit?
> >
> > +1 for me.
>
> Personally I feel that it goes without saying.  They [the core] do most
> of the work, and they do excellent work, so I feel confident that whatever
> they choose will be for the best.  They should be the ones to decide
> such important matters -- it is their blood and sweat in the source code. :)
>
> I don't want to say that community has no voice in it -- it has, and it
> is important, just as the community is important for our favourite RDBMS,
> but I would hate to usurp power over Core. :)

Uh, really the community puts in as much work or more than the core
people.  The idea that core is doing most of the work is something I
hope is never true.  Core are just figureheads when leadership is needed
in non-technical cases.  Of course, this naming thing might be such a
case (break ties).