Re: Should core decide the name? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Dawid Kuroczko
Subject Re: Should core decide the name?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 8/31/07, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Dawid Kuroczko wrote:
> > Personally I feel that it goes without saying.  They [the core] do most
> > of the work, and they do excellent work, so I feel confident that whatever
> > they choose will be for the best.  They should be the ones to decide
> > such important matters -- it is their blood and sweat in the source code. :)
> >
> > I don't want to say that community has no voice in it -- it has, and it
> > is important, just as the community is important for our favourite RDBMS,
> > but I would hate to usurp power over Core. :)
>
> Uh, really the community puts in as much work or more than the core
> people.  The idea that core is doing most of the work is something I
> hope is never true.  Core are just figureheads when leadership is needed
> in non-technical cases.  Of course, this naming thing might be such a
> case (break ties).

Perhaps I wrote it from wrong angle.  I feel that the more people do
to help the project, the more vote they should have in matters like
this.  In other words I feel that I should have much less vote than
you do -- exactly because so far you did a lot of work and I have not.

It should not stop me from voicing my opinions (and it does not ;)),
but it should not in my power to have a deciding vote.

   Regards,
      Dawid