training as a means of advocacy?

From
"Scott Paine"

This is a suggestion; I do not need a reply.

I’m a DB novice fleeing from MS Access to opensource, considering various options, and finding that the complexity of the software offerings is quite daunting!

So far, in my quest for training, I have found several very expensive options and several discussions about why certification is/is not a good idea.  I have no idea whether many other people in need of software to build databases are looking at opensource tools, but since this is your ‘advocacy’ forum, I suggest that one way to increase adoption of the software is to make it more accessible to people who need a solution.

That may seem obvious, but what I see is that if a non-geek wants to escape the limits of Excel or the intense convolution of Access, there are few (if any) opensource options.  There’s OpenOffice’s Calc and Base, but they seem to offer the sole advantage of a free price for merely clones of the problems, if I’m not mistaken (currently testing and finding this to be true).  Otherwise, one who is not already a programmer and/or savvy database developer must choke down the price of FileMaker or 4D or something like that.  As for me, and I bet with many, my company will not provide “non-standard software”.  The standard is Excel, Access, Oracle; and Oracle is only available to the IT department.  The only way I can break the rules is to download opensource (no invoice, no red flags...)

MySQL bills itself as “easy”.  Anyone can do it.  [insert expletive here]!!!  So, I got Navicat, which makes things easier for the non-guru.  But it’s still grossly complicated, and training costs a fortune, or gobs of time.  Both.  So, I found some cheap online tutorials, which explained differences among various kinds of databases, and found that I would prefer an object-relational database over a relational one.  Out goes MySQL, which I will not miss.  Navicat makes their GUI for PostgreSQL, too.

However, I am finding training is even more difficult to find for PostgreSQL.  My situation requires online courses or travel to a classroom for a short course; onsite training isn’t cost effective for one person.  Unless I want to go to Germany, all classes I can find assume the student already knows Linux and SQL and has experience with a similar program like Oracle, and is familiar with numerous acronyms.

So here’s my point: If you want to just keep competing for acceptance and adoption of PostgreSQL by the highly paid, highly trained pool of database development experts who are competing for work in a finite market of enterprise database clients, then fine.  I’m sure all those people have plenty of time to search your forums all day to learn the ropes.  But, if you want to attract the attention of a large segment of industry consisting of people who are not trained in programming, who do not have huge budgets, who can’t spend all their time searching the Internet for technical help, and who nevertheless need to build databases for their work; then you should skip the certification issue and put some effort into helping such people climb the ladder from the ground up.

I know, there’s an argument to be made that such people do not need an enterprise system to handle their little databases with their cute little reports and entry forms and charts.  Even so, if it works for big systems it should handle small ones just fine.  Most people don’t need most of the features of most software that they use anyway, right?  If many average joes use, and get to really like, PostgreSQL then its popularity will spread, especially given the price, and managers will notice productivity gains, and pretty soon they’ll ask why in the heck they should go through all those painful steps to get IT to make database solutions for them when their own people can do it using free software in half the time (and be pleased with the product)?

There are already several free tutorials on SQL, database design, and data modeling.  The rest is a mystery.  A very complicated one.  I challenge you geeks to make it palatable to us newbies (or whatever you call us).

Thanks

.
The content of this message may contain the private views and opinions of the sender and does not constitute a formal view and/or opinion of the company unless specifically stated.

The contents of this email and any attachments may contain confidential and/or proprietary information, and is intended only for the person/entity to whom it was originally addressed. Any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this message and any attachments from your system.

Please refer to http://www.newmont.com/en/disclaimer for other language versions of this disclaimer. ================================================

Re: training as a means of advocacy?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Scott Paine wrote:
> But, if you want to attract the attention of a large segment of
> industry consisting of people [...] who do not have huge budgets,

There's the rub.  Why would anyone want to attract those people?  Sure,
we're all humanists and we like to help people, but training and
tutoring is extremely expensive, and the way you phrase it it doesn't
sound like a good value proposition.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: training as a means of advocacy?

From
Josh
Date:
Scott,

> I know, there's an argument to be made that such people do not need an
> enterprise system to handle their little databases with their cute
> little reports and entry forms and charts.  Even so, if it works for big

Actually, PostgreSQL doesn't even fill the need you have.  You are
migrating from Access.  Access provides a lot of tools to interface to
database engines; I'm talking about the ability to build forms, reports,
and other things of that nature.

PostgreSQL doesn't provide those things, as it is a database backend.  In
fact, you can use Postgres as a backend for your Access applications.  It
seems like what you want is a framework on which you can build
applications.

You can see if Dabo fills your needs:

http://dabodev.com/

Or, OpenOffice BASE is an Access workalike, and would likely fill your
needs.

Or, search Amazon for one of the PostgreSQL development books.

Basically, you have a choice: you can spend money on a book or travel to a
training class, or you can spend time and read the manuals to figure
things out.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
-J

Re: training as a means of advocacy?

From
Chander Ganesan
Date:
Hi Scott,

However, I am finding training is even more difficult to find for PostgreSQL.  My situation requires online courses or travel to a classroom for a short course; onsite training isn’t cost effective for one person.  Unless I want to go to Germany, all classes I can find assume the student already knows Linux and SQL and has experience with a similar program like Oracle, and is familiar with numerous acronyms.

We offer a "Implementing databases with PostgreSQL" course that requires no knowledge of SQL, acronyms, or Linux.  However, we haven't scheduled it on our public calendar for quite some time, since we haven't had many requests for the course (we schedule public courses based on our perceived demand).  However, based on your request I'll see if we can't get it on our calendar - though it probably won't be until the 2008 calendar year. :-(

We love to drive adoption of PostgreSQL whenever possible.... :-)
--
Chander Ganesan
The Open Technology Group

Re: training as a means of advocacy?

From
Chris Browne
Date:
peter_e@gmx.net (Peter Eisentraut) writes:
> Scott Paine wrote:
>> But, if you want to attract the attention of a large segment of
>> industry consisting of people [...] who do not have huge budgets,
>
> There's the rub.  Why would anyone want to attract those people?  Sure,
> we're all humanists and we like to help people, but training and
> tutoring is extremely expensive, and the way you phrase it it doesn't
> sound like a good value proposition.

I had someone come by with a perhaps-relevant proposal that *would*
involve training and tutoring, but it would involve a concommittant
goal that those being trained would have, as specific responsibility,
the requirement to work to help the project.  The point would NOT be
merely to learn SQL...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="linuxfinances.info" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/advocacy.html

Re: training as a means of advocacy?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
> PostgreSQL doesn't provide those things, as it is a database backend.  In
> fact, you can use Postgres as a backend for your Access applications.  It
> seems like what you want is a framework on which you can build
> applications.

He also might want to check out Once:Radix:
http://onceradix.com/fabrik/index.html

This is a nice step up from Access/Filemaker while still being intuitive and
easy to use.  And open souce!

Howerver, Scott, you've hit on the failure of the whole training industry to
advance to the new economy.  Training is still largely a boutique industry,
and has failed to advance meaningfully into cheaper, more accessable online
courses.  The problem you identify is quite real, but it's more widespread
and harder to solve than you probably think it is.

Maybe I should talk to OTG ...

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: training as a means of advocacy?

From
Dimitri Fontaine
Date:
Le Thursday 23 August 2007 21:29:53 Scott Paine, vous avez écrit :
> I'm a DB novice fleeing from MS Access to opensource, considering
> various options
[...]
> That may seem obvious, but what I see is that if a non-geek wants to
> escape the limits of Excel or the intense convolution of Access, there
> are few (if any) opensource options.

Did you see about kexi? I've never used it myself, but it seems like a good
candidate for what I understand are your needs.
  http://kexi-project.org/

dim

Re: training as a means of advocacy?

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 10:47:13PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Howerver, Scott, you've hit on the failure of the whole training industry to
> advance to the new economy.  Training is still largely a boutique industry,
> and has failed to advance meaningfully into cheaper, more accessable online
> courses.  The problem you identify is quite real, but it's more widespread
> and harder to solve than you probably think it is.

The latter point is important here.

To begin with, training is expensive to do, and very hard to do well.
Computer-based training is even harder to do well.  Most people are
not very good teachers (including many of the trainers who are out
there); and even more people who are already out working are _awful_
students.

Moreover, the success rates on self-administered training (which is
what CBT has to be) are lower than classroom-based training.  This is
because the classroom has an advantage: the students have to go at
the pace of the classroom.  Since the "pass" mark at the end of most
classroom-based courses is low enough, a test administered right at
the end of an intensive week-long course will almost always show
nearly everyone passing.  (Universities also do something similar, of
course, making sure that they get a nice brontosaurus-shaped curve at
the end of their courses.  Just ask people who have taught, for
instance, symbolic logic or mathematics, where the curves are often
U-shaped.)  But self-paced learning is different: unless the course
design is _very good_, it will almost certainly have higher failure
rates, because students aren't that good at the discipline necessary
to ensure they work all the problems needed, in the right order and
at the right pace.  For instance, a foundation skill needs to be
followed immediately by practice in its application; but if the
student takes two weeks between those units (because "something came
up at work"), then the student quickly finds it can't remember the
basic skills needed to continue with the work.  The trainee becomes
frustrated, and gives up.

There are ways around this, of course, but they're more expensive
than putting someone in a classroom for a week -- for the training
company.  The trainees, of course, have to pay travel and
accommodation, too; but that's a cost that's often accounted as
"travel" and not "training"; so the training budget doesn't have to
pay that additional expense in the case of going to a course in a
nearby city.  The training budget _does_ have to pay for the
additional expense in a remote-training, student-paced arrangement,
though, which means (paradoxically) that self-guided training, if it
is effective, is often more expensive per course than classroom
training.

Best,

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The plural of anecdote is not data.