Re: training as a means of advocacy? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh
Subject Re: training as a means of advocacy?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Scott,

> I know, there's an argument to be made that such people do not need an
> enterprise system to handle their little databases with their cute
> little reports and entry forms and charts.  Even so, if it works for big

Actually, PostgreSQL doesn't even fill the need you have.  You are
migrating from Access.  Access provides a lot of tools to interface to
database engines; I'm talking about the ability to build forms, reports,
and other things of that nature.

PostgreSQL doesn't provide those things, as it is a database backend.  In
fact, you can use Postgres as a backend for your Access applications.  It
seems like what you want is a framework on which you can build
applications.

You can see if Dabo fills your needs:

http://dabodev.com/

Or, OpenOffice BASE is an Access workalike, and would likely fill your
needs.

Or, search Amazon for one of the PostgreSQL development books.

Basically, you have a choice: you can spend money on a book or travel to a
training class, or you can spend time and read the manuals to figure
things out.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
-J