Volunteers required - functionality checklist

From
Dave Page
Date:
Following a discussion last week we need to write a good bullet point
list of PostgreSQL's technical features. They key aim is to provide a
nice checklist for potential new users. It should not be wordy, but
certain key features which deserve more explanation should be made links
to explanatory pages (of particular importance here is Replication which
should point to a page describing our policy on replication in core, and
the colutions available.

In conjunction with this, the following pages should be reviewed and
updated as appropriate:

http://www.postgresql.org/about/
http://www.postgresql.org/about/advantages

It might also be nice to incorporate Stefan's feature matrix at
http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Feature_Matrix, though this
should *not* be part of the main feature checklist page.

I would suggest this work is undertaken on the wiki at
developer.postgresql.org to aid collaboration.

Volunteers please? :-)

Thanks, Dave

Re: Volunteers required - functionality checklist

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Dave Page wrote:
> Following a discussion last week we need to write a good bullet point
> list of PostgreSQL's technical features. They key aim is to provide a
> nice checklist for potential new users. It should not be wordy, but
> certain key features which deserve more explanation should be made links
> to explanatory pages (of particular importance here is Replication which
> should point to a page describing our policy on replication in core, and
> the colutions available.

what's wrong with:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/high-availability.html

> In conjunction with this, the following pages should be reviewed and
> updated as appropriate:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/advantages
>
> It might also be nice to incorporate Stefan's feature matrix at
> http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Feature_Matrix, though this
> should *not* be part of the main feature checklist page.

yeah not sure how that would fit

> I would suggest this work is undertaken on the wiki at
> developer.postgresql.org to aid collaboration.

seems like the proper place for that

> Volunteers please? :-)

definitly interested in helping with that effort.

Stefan

Date:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
>> Following a discussion last week we need to write a good bullet point
>> list of PostgreSQL's technical features. They key aim is to provide a
>> nice checklist for potential new users. It should not be wordy, but
>> certain key features which deserve more explanation should be made links
>> to explanatory pages (of particular importance here is Replication which
>> should point to a page describing our policy on replication in core, and
>> the colutions available.
>
> what's wrong with:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/high-availability.html

Well, it's tucked away in the docs, and is more concerned with
describing techniques than actual solutions. For example, there are no
links to Slony, pgCluster, pgPool etc.

The aim here is to dispell the myth that postgres doesn't have
replication, so we want something quick and to the point, with the
relevant links to get people started that we can feature fairly
prominently on the website.

>> In conjunction with this, the following pages should be reviewed and
>> updated as appropriate:
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/about/
>> http://www.postgresql.org/about/advantages
>>
>> It might also be nice to incorporate Stefan's feature matrix at
>> http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Feature_Matrix, though this
>> should *not* be part of the main feature checklist page.
>
> yeah not sure how that would fit

A seperate page I suspect - just a link of the main page to the
by-version comparison.

>> I would suggest this work is undertaken on the wiki at
>> developer.postgresql.org to aid collaboration.
>
> seems like the proper place for that
>

>> Volunteers please? :-)
>
> definitly interested in helping with that effort.

Interested in leading it? I've got to the point at the moment that even
working more or less full time on community stuff I just don't have time
to push through every good idea that people throw at me :-(

Thanks in advance :-p

/D

Re: Volunteers required - functionality checklist

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007, Dave Page wrote:

> The aim here is to dispell the myth that postgres doesn't have
> replication, so we want something quick and to the point, with the
> relevant links to get people started that we can feature fairly
> prominently on the website.

There's now a very rough cut of this information available at
http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Replication%2C_Clustering%2C_and_Connection_Pooling
which was basically generated by me dumping all the mailing list threads
on this subject I've collected into a page.  Been meaning to organize all
those anyway.

This is such a giant and specific sore spot for PostgreSQL that I'd
suggest focusing on it for a bit before wandering off into a more general
checklist.

> of particular importance here is Replication which should point to a
> page describing our policy on replication in core

Does that page exist already?

Date:
Greg Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007, Dave Page wrote:
>
>> The aim here is to dispell the myth that postgres doesn't have
>> replication, so we want something quick and to the point, with the
>> relevant links to get people started that we can feature fairly
>> prominently on the website.
>
> There's now a very rough cut of this information available at
> http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Replication%2C_Clustering%2C_and_Connection_Pooling
> which was basically generated by me dumping all the mailing list threads
> on this subject I've collected into a page.  Been meaning to organize
> all those anyway.

Nice start.

> This is such a giant and specific sore spot for PostgreSQL that I'd
> suggest focusing on it for a bit before wandering off into a more
> general checklist.
>
>> of particular importance here is Replication which should point to a
>> page describing our policy on replication in core
>
> Does that page exist already?

Bar the policy bit I think it's what you've just written (the policy
would seem sensible to include in an introduction).

I'd see this linked from the aforementioned check list, along with any
other useful topic explanations (MVCC springs to mind as another
candidate that many newcomers might not already know about).

Regards, Dave.

Re: Volunteers required - functionality checklist

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
Hi,

On Mon, 2007-08-13 at 16:53 -0400, Greg Smith wrote:

> There's now a very rough cut of this information available at
> http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Replication%2C_Clustering%
> 2C_and_Connection_Pooling

AFAIK, Cybertec's product is based on PGCluster , not PGCluster-II.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: Volunteers required - functionality checklist

From
Cornelia Boenigk
Date:
Hi

 > The aim here is to dispell the myth that postgres doesn't have
 > replication, so we want something quick and to the point, with the
 > relevant links to get people started that we can feature fairly
 > prominently on the website.

Something like
http://burger-ag.de/postgresql_replikation.whtml
in English?

The page is a bit outdated and needs to be overworked.

Greetings
Conni

Date:
On Mon, August 13, 2007 11:10 pm, Cornelia Boenigk wrote:
> Hi
>
>  > The aim here is to dispell the myth that postgres doesn't have
>  > replication, so we want something quick and to the point, with the
>  > relevant links to get people started that we can feature fairly
>  > prominently on the website.
>
> Something like
> http://burger-ag.de/postgresql_replikation.whtml
> in English?
>
> The page is a bit outdated and needs to be overworked.

Yes, thats the sort of thing - though it would need a nice introduction
explaining why we don't have a single solution in the core server.

Greg has made an excellent start on the developers wiki along similar lines.

Regards, Dave