Re: [pgsql-www] We need an Advocacy wiki

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: [pgsql-www] We need an Advocacy wiki

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Saturday 04 August 2007 09:56, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> but opening it up to anyone is
> generally a bad idea unless, like Wikipedia, you a) are willing to put up
> with vandalism and general subtle mischief and b) have the critical mass of
> watchers to keep (a) to a minimum. The experience of the interactive docs
> indicate that we do not have that mass yet,

What experience is this?

> and I am reluctant to go that
> route anyway for public-facing pages that represent the project via a
> postgresql.org address.

This is more likely the problem, ie. your personal feelings.

--
Robert Treat

Re: [pgsql-www] We need an Advocacy wiki

From
Dave Page
Date:
Robert Treat wrote:
> On Saturday 04 August 2007 09:56, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
>> but opening it up to anyone is
>> generally a bad idea unless, like Wikipedia, you a) are willing to put up
>> with vandalism and general subtle mischief and b) have the critical mass of
>> watchers to keep (a) to a minimum. The experience of the interactive docs
>> indicate that we do not have that mass yet,
>
> What experience is this?

I imagine he's referring to the mountain of garbage that used to build
up until Magnus and I had a monster session moderating a few thousand
comments to get them back under control.

>> and I am reluctant to go that
>> route anyway for public-facing pages that represent the project via a
>> postgresql.org address.

I don't see any need to have any public facing pages on a Wiki - are we
too lazy to write things up for the website when we want to present them
to the world? It's not like it's difficult to do.

For collaboration work however, the Wiki is important I think - but I
agree with Greg, we shouldn't need a second one. Can't we have an area
on the current one with looser permissions?

/D

Re: [pgsql-www] We need an Advocacy wiki

From
Magnus Hagander
Dave Page wrote:
>>> and I am reluctant to go that route anyway for public-facing pages
>>> that represent the project via a
>>> postgresql.org address.
>
> I don't see any need to have any public facing pages on a Wiki - are we
> too lazy to write things up for the website when we want to present them
> to the world? It's not like it's difficult to do.
>
> For collaboration work however, the Wiki is important I think - but I
> agree with Greg, we shouldn't need a second one. Can't we have an area
> on the current one with looser permissions?

Agreed. The whole idea behind a wiki is "reasonably loose permissions",
right? AS Greg already suggested, perhaps we just need a "better way"
for people to request permissions? (For example, right now it just says
"contact greg or neil", but it doesn't tell you how - not even an email
address...)

And a structure of the wiki that has a section for advocacy of course -
but we already have that.

/Magnus

Re: [pgsql-www] We need an Advocacy wiki

From
Decibel!
Date:
On Sat, Aug 04, 2007 at 04:15:24PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> For collaboration work however, the Wiki is important I think - but I
> agree with Greg, we shouldn't need a second one. Can't we have an area
> on the current one with looser permissions?

I think this is being blown way out of proportion.

We're not wikipedia. We have nowhere near the attention level, nor the
type of content that's likely to attract vandals. And before someone
brings up the doc comments, there hasn't appeared to be much of a flood
of garbage there since we instituted the login requirement.

It's also completely unfair to try and correlate keeping an open wiki
clean with doing the same for docs, because unlike docs we've got
hundreds of folks who could ensure that the wiki stays clean.

Can we please just give the public wiki a chance instead of coming up
with a bunch of reasons it won't work before we've even tried? It's not
like it's hard to change things later if needed.

(BTW, when I say public wiki I mean one where anyone with an account can
edit, not one where you don't need an account.)
--
Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby                        decibel@decibel.org

Re: [pgsql-www] We need an Advocacy wiki

From
Gregory Stark
Date:
"Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com> writes:

> Not sure what your definition of normal is; that depends on what you mean by
> "registered". If it means just creating an account via web form, that's
> harldy an impediment to vandalism. We can certainly give more people the power
> to grant write-access to wiki accounts, if that's the perceived hold up.

Do we have any history of vandalism on the -hackers mailing list? There is no
approval mechanism for people subscribing to the list. Would people be happy
if every subscription to -hackers required someone to approve your membership?

I went to do update the wiki recently, found I didn't have write access and
gave up and went back to other things. I think any extra barriers are a bad
thing. It ought to be open until there's a demonstrable problem rather than
preemptively making it less useful because we anticipate problems we have no
evidence of.

--
  Gregory Stark

Re: [pgsql-www] We need an Advocacy wiki

From
"Joshua D. Drake"