PostgreSQL banner for tradeshows -- art to review

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Hello,

The designer has come up with the following design:

http://www.commandprompt.com/files/scaled_9_pct.pdf

At first I thought it was impossibly busy but... please do the following
before you comment.

1. run your pdf viewer in full screen
2. Step away from your monitor 5, 10, and then 15 feet.

It actually looks pretty good. Any thoughts?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: PostgreSQL banner for tradeshows -- art to review

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
On Thursday 28 June 2007 13:52, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The designer has come up with the following design:
>
> http://www.commandprompt.com/files/scaled_9_pct.pdf
>
> ... Any thoughts?

looks too busy

Robert

Re: PostgreSQL banner for tradeshows -- art to review

From
Dave Page
Date:
Robert Bernier wrote:
> On Thursday 28 June 2007 13:52, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> The designer has come up with the following design:
>>
>> http://www.commandprompt.com/files/scaled_9_pct.pdf
>>
>> ... Any thoughts?
>
> looks too busy

Maybe it's a contrast thing, but it looked too plain on my screen.

/D

Re: PostgreSQL banner for tradeshows -- art to review

From
"Mike Ellsworth"
Date:
On 6/28/07, Dave Page <dpage@postgresql.org> wrote:
Robert Bernier wrote
> looks too busy

Maybe it's a contrast thing, but it looked too plain on my screen.

/D

Although I found the person that made this, I can say, "I don't know".if it is good/bad or other.  I think it would be a good idea to forward the pdf to the outfit that manufactures these displays and ask them, "What do you think?"  They would probably have a pretty good feel on what it would *really* look like as a final product and possibly offer a suggestion or two.  Likely they've run 100's, if not 1,000's of these things.

Thanks,
Mike Ellsworth

Re: PostgreSQL banner for tradeshows -- art to review

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 10:52:08AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The designer has come up with the following design:
>
> http://www.commandprompt.com/files/scaled_9_pct.pdf
>
> At first I thought it was impossibly busy but... please do the following
> before you comment.
>
> 1. run your pdf viewer in full screen
> 2. Step away from your monitor 5, 10, and then 15 feet.
>
> It actually looks pretty good. Any thoughts?

I'm not sure what the blend does for the brand, and if it does
something, shouldn't it be blending from PostgreSQL blue on top to
something lighter underneath?

> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>
> --
>
>       === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===
> Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
> Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997
>              http://www.commandprompt.com/
>
> Donate to the PostgreSQL Project: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate
> PostgreSQL Replication: http://www.commandprompt.com/products/

phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!
Consider donating to PostgreSQL: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

Date:
Robert Bernier wrote:
> On Thursday 28 June 2007 13:52, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> The designer has come up with the following design:
>>
>> http://www.commandprompt.com/files/scaled_9_pct.pdf

What about this one?

http://www.openvein.com/ext/postgresql_sign_art.jpg

>> ... Any thoughts?
>
> looks too busy
>
> Robert

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: PostgreSQL banner for tradeshows -- art to review

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 02:00:07PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Robert Bernier wrote:
> >On Thursday 28 June 2007 13:52, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >>http://www.commandprompt.com/files/scaled_9_pct.pdf

> http://www.openvein.com/ext/postgresql_sign_art.jpg

I liked the first one better, myself.  But I am a visual moron, so my
input is probably not worth that much :)

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The whole tendency of modern prose is away from concreteness.
        --George Orwell

Re: PostgreSQL banner for tradeshows -- art to review

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Robert Bernier wrote:
>> On Thursday 28 June 2007 13:52, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> The designer has come up with the following design:
>>>
>>> http://www.commandprompt.com/files/scaled_9_pct.pdf
>
> What about this one?
>

> http://www.openvein.com/ext/postgresql_sign_art.jpg

Hmmm.  I'm not really liking any of those, they don't look very
professional.  How much longer do we have?  I can submit a design this
weekend.

Or you can turn this idea over to the designer:

Light grey background, Off-center Elephant Logo, 1/2 on left side of
banner or similar position, Text "PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced
open source database" slightly overlapping, with white border for
clarity.  Try also royal blue background with photo of real elephant
face, same configuration.

--Josh Berkus

Re: PostgreSQL banner for tradeshows -- art to review

From
Gabriele Bartolini
Date:
> Hmmm.  I'm not really liking any of those, they don't look very
> professional.  How much longer do we have?  I can submit a design this
> weekend.
We could also ask Valentino. :)

--
Gabriele Bartolini: Web Programmer, IWA/HWG Member
Current Location: Prato, Tuscany, Italy

Date:
On 7/10/07, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Robert Bernier wrote:
>> On Thursday 28 June 2007 13:52, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> The designer has come up with the following design:
>>>
>>> http://www.commandprompt.com/files/scaled_9_pct.pdf
>
> What about this one?
>

> http://www.openvein.com/ext/postgresql_sign_art.jpg

Hmmm.  I'm not really liking any of those, they don't look very
professional.  How much longer do we have?  I can submit a design this
weekend.

Or you can turn this idea over to the designer:

Light grey background, Off-center Elephant Logo, 1/2 on left side of
banner or similar position, Text "PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced
open source database" slightly overlapping, with white border for
clarity.  Try also royal blue background with photo of real elephant
face, same configuration.

--Josh Berkus

Brand Awareness 101:
see Elephant
think PostgreSQL

example
http://www.idea-sandbox.com/blog/the_brand/

Re: PostgreSQL banner for tradeshows -- art to review

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Gabriele Bartolini wrote:

>> Hmmm.  I'm not really liking any of those, they don't look very
>> professional.  How much longer do we have?  I can submit a design this
>> weekend.
> We could also ask Valentino. :)

If he has the time so close after pgday, why not. He did a very good job
with the stuff for that one...

//Magnus

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Gabriele Bartolini wrote:
>>> Hmmm.  I'm not really liking any of those, they don't look very
>>> professional.  How much longer do we have?  I can submit a design this
>>> weekend.
>> We could also ask Valentino. :)
>
> If he has the time so close after pgday, why not. He did a very good job
> with the stuff for that one...

Our options are the two we have. We don't have time to continue to wait.
I am ordering tomorrow.

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Robert Bernier wrote:

>> What about this one?
>>

>> http://www.openvein.com/ext/postgresql_sign_art.jpg
>
> Hmmm.  I'm not really liking any of those, they don't look very
> professional.

Say what?

 >  How much longer do we have?  I can submit a design this
> weekend.

We don't have that much time. We are already well past our "design"
time. You should submitted weeks ago if you had an idea.

> Or you can turn this idea over to the designer:
>
> Light grey background, Off-center Elephant Logo, 1/2 on left side of
> banner or similar position, Text "PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced
> open source database" slightly overlapping, with white border for
> clarity.  Try also royal blue background with photo of real elephant
> face, same configuration.

Making it fancier with, off grey colors doesn't add to professionalism.
It just makes it look like you like power point.

Using a real elephant doesn't have any marketable tie in to the website
which is why on both, we used the elephant from the website.

I am not saying either of these is fantastic, but they are both from
professional artists of which you and I are not.

Date:
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 02:00:07PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Robert Bernier wrote:
>
>> http://www.openvein.com/ext/postgresql_sign_art.jpg
>
> I liked the first one better, myself.  But I am a visual moron, so my
> input is probably not worth that much :)

I liked it from a distance, which is how people will see it but I had my
guy work up the second one as a contrast (very simple, versus pretty busy).

Date:
Mike Ellsworth wrote:
> On 7/10/07, *Josh Berkus* <josh@agliodbs.com <mailto:josh@agliodbs.com>>
> wrote:

>     Light grey background, Off-center Elephant Logo, 1/2 on left side of
>     banner or similar position, Text "PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced
>     open source database" slightly overlapping, with white border for
>     clarity.  Try also royal blue background with photo of real elephant
>     face, same configuration.
>
>     --Josh Berkus
>

> Brand Awareness 101:
> see Elephant
> think PostgreSQL
>
> example
> http://www.idea-sandbox.com/blog/the_brand/

Which is exactly why on *both* of the designs the actual Pg elephant was
used. Great example Mike.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: PostgreSQL banner for tradeshows -- art to review

From
usleepless@gmail.com
Date:
Dear All,

On 7/10/07, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Mike Ellsworth wrote:
> > On 7/10/07, *Josh Berkus* <josh@agliodbs.com <mailto:josh@agliodbs.com>>
> > wrote:
>
> >     Light grey background, Off-center Elephant Logo, 1/2 on left side of
> >     banner or similar position, Text "PostgreSQL: The world's most
> >     open source database" slightly overlapping, with white border for
> >     clarity.  Try also royal blue background with photo of real elephant
> >     face, same configuration.
> >
> >     --Josh Berkus
> >

> > Brand Awareness 101:
> > see Elephant
> > think PostgreSQL
> >
> > example
> > http://www.idea-sandbox.com/blog/the_brand/
> >

> Which is exactly why on *both* of the designs the actual Pg elephant was
> used. Great example Mike.

IANAGG ( i am not a graphics guru ), nonetheless:

i would opt for the big one ( http://www.openvein.com/ext/postgresql_sign_art.jpg )
 - elephants are big
 - big is unavoidable, ie: you can't miss it
 - remove the "The Worlds' Most Advanced jadajadajada"
 - if you really want some text there: "Fast + Features: Fenomenal."

also, the idea of making a banner with a photographic image of an elephant appeals to me: it could be very powerfull if
donewell. i understand it is not a viable alternative for this occasion.

regards,

usleep