Need for "Getting Started" Tutorial

From
Chris Browne
Date:
FYI, I left ~250 copies of a 2 page PostgreSQL brochure at local LUG's
booth at the IT360 show today.  <http://www.it360.ca/> (This used to
be the show known as RealWorldLinux.)

I'll find out tomorrow how many copies survived, or if they went
fast...

I had several useful PostgreSQL conversations, including one which
suggested that there may be another would-be "Pervasive" out there,
that is, a company that would rather deploy PostgreSQL as their next
product version rather than have to substantially rewrite their
product to satisfy modern requirements.  Don't know if that'll go
anywhere; it will need some later followup.

The *other* thing needing followup was that someone observed that they
had some problems getting PostgreSQL to work properly, based on some
of the "default" documentation.  This probably represents the fact
that different flavours of Linux behave a little bit differently, and
when people are new to Unix, in general, they may not have
sufficiently fine-tuned problem-solving skills to get past this "speed
bump."

Seems to me that there is a need for a "getting started with
PostgreSQL on {flavours of Linux}" sort of tutorial.

Those of us that build our own installs from scratch are probably
incompetent to prepare this; we are *way* too knowledgeable to even
notice the little speed-bumps that others are getting stuck on.

This may well be a "recognize your Linux flavour" talk that applies to
various services; that's fine...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="linuxfinances.info" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/unix.html

Re: Need for "Getting Started" Tutorial

From
"Gabriele Bartolini"
Date:
I share the same feeling. One of the misconceptions with PostgreSQL is
that it is a very hard-to-install product, not user-friendly,
especially for potential new users such as students. That is totally
wrong and it is something that we must solve as community.

During the next PGDay we will try and open PostgreSQL to these users
and I believe such a tutorial is something that goes into the same
direction.

Tonight, Federico is going to start the Road To PGDay initiative in
Prato (we invite other members all over the world to dedicate one
event to PG promotion) and we have 25 subscribers! It's a great
result, if you think that it is an after-dinner event - even though it
is free.

We could grab potential new users that are willing to share their
'install' experience with the rest of the world. What do you think
guys?

Ciao,
Gabriele

2007/5/2, Chris Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org>:
> FYI, I left ~250 copies of a 2 page PostgreSQL brochure at local LUG's
> booth at the IT360 show today.  <http://www.it360.ca/> (This used to
> be the show known as RealWorldLinux.)
>
> I'll find out tomorrow how many copies survived, or if they went
> fast...
>
> I had several useful PostgreSQL conversations, including one which
> suggested that there may be another would-be "Pervasive" out there,
> that is, a company that would rather deploy PostgreSQL as their next
> product version rather than have to substantially rewrite their
> product to satisfy modern requirements.  Don't know if that'll go
> anywhere; it will need some later followup.
>
> The *other* thing needing followup was that someone observed that they
> had some problems getting PostgreSQL to work properly, based on some
> of the "default" documentation.  This probably represents the fact
> that different flavours of Linux behave a little bit differently, and
> when people are new to Unix, in general, they may not have
> sufficiently fine-tuned problem-solving skills to get past this "speed
> bump."
>
> Seems to me that there is a need for a "getting started with
> PostgreSQL on {flavours of Linux}" sort of tutorial.
>
> Those of us that build our own installs from scratch are probably
> incompetent to prepare this; we are *way* too knowledgeable to even
> notice the little speed-bumps that others are getting stuck on.
>
> This may well be a "recognize your Linux flavour" talk that applies to
> various services; that's fine...
> --
> let name="cbbrowne" and tld="linuxfinances.info" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
> http://linuxdatabases.info/info/unix.html
> "A 'Cape Cod Salsa' just isn't right." -- Unknown

Re: Need for "Getting Started" Tutorial

From
Federico
Date:
On 5/2/07, Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele.bartolini@gmail.com> wrote:
> I share the same feeling. One of the misconceptions with PostgreSQL is
> that it is a very hard-to-install product, not user-friendly,
> especially for potential new users such as students. That is totally
> wrong and it is something that we must solve as community.

It's All Relative as Einstein told us ;)
If you compare the PostgreSQL installation with oracle's you discover
that PostgreSQL is very simple ^_^

SNIP

> Tonight, Federico is going to start the Road To PGDay initiative in
> Prato (we invite other members all over the world to dedicate one
> event to PG promotion) and we have 25 subscribers! It's a great
> result, if you think that it is an after-dinner event - even though it
> is free.

I'm happily surprised about the results of PLUG's road2pgday.
I'll try to do my best as PostgreSQL evangelist tonight :)

After the road2pgday I'll upload the  video of my talk on youtube.

Regards
Federico

--
Federico Campoli is:
@ PGDay -> Committee, http://www.pgday.it/

Re: Need for "Getting Started" Tutorial

From
Joshua Kramer
Date:
Chris,

I did a sidebar on "how to configure PostgreSQL" in an article I did for
Linux Journal a while back.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8085

This should be of some value, because I end up following those exact steps
whenever I install a fresh copy somewhere.  Based on your conversation,
what additional information do you think is needed?

Cheers,
-Josh

Date:
rotellaro@gmail.com (Federico) writes:
> On 5/2/07, Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele.bartolini@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I share the same feeling. One of the misconceptions with PostgreSQL is
>> that it is a very hard-to-install product, not user-friendly,
>> especially for potential new users such as students. That is totally
>> wrong and it is something that we must solve as community.
>
> It's All Relative as Einstein told us ;)
> If you compare the PostgreSQL installation with oracle's you discover
> that PostgreSQL is very simple ^_^

The newcomers that are getting turned off are not comparing PostgreSQL
with Oracle; they are *vastly* more likely to be comparing with
MySQL(tm)[1] or SQLite.

Footnotes:
[1]  MySQL is a trademark of MySQL AB.
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "acm.org")
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/internet.html

Re: Need for "Getting Started" Tutorial

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 07:06:32PM -0400, Chris Browne wrote:
> FYI, I left ~250 copies of a 2 page PostgreSQL brochure at local
> LUG's booth at the IT360 show today.  <http://www.it360.ca/> (This
> used to be the show known as RealWorldLinux.)
>
> I'll find out tomorrow how many copies survived, or if they went
> fast...

How'd that go?

> The *other* thing needing followup was that someone observed that
> they had some problems getting PostgreSQL to work properly, based on
> some of the "default" documentation.  This probably represents the
> fact that different flavours of Linux behave a little bit
> differently, and when people are new to Unix, in general, they may
> not have sufficiently fine-tuned problem-solving skills to get past
> this "speed bump."
>
> Seems to me that there is a need for a "getting started with
> PostgreSQL on {flavours of Linux}" sort of tutorial.

Basically, such a tutorial would consist of, "familiarize yourself
with your distribution's packaging and init systems, then use them to
install and start PostgreSQL."

> Those of us that build our own installs from scratch are probably
> incompetent to prepare this; we are *way* too knowledgeable to even
> notice the little speed-bumps that others are getting stuck on.

The first speed bump after installation is PostgreSQL's very secure
defaults in postgresql.conf and pg_hba.conf.  The next one is
frequently user management.  After that, there's the fact that the
rest of the defaults in postgresql.conf are still too conservative,
and there is no automated way to get suggestions for what parameters
to change and what to set them to based on, say, the amount of main
memory in the machine.

> This may well be a "recognize your Linux flavour" talk that applies to
> various services; that's fine...

Yep.

phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!
Consider donating to PostgreSQL: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

Re: Need for "Getting Started" Tutorial

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Chris Browne wrote:
> rotellaro@gmail.com (Federico) writes:
>> On 5/2/07, Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele.bartolini@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I share the same feeling. One of the misconceptions with PostgreSQL is
>>> that it is a very hard-to-install product, not user-friendly,
>>> especially for potential new users such as students. That is totally
>>> wrong and it is something that we must solve as community.
>> It's All Relative as Einstein told us ;)
>> If you compare the PostgreSQL installation with oracle's you discover
>> that PostgreSQL is very simple ^_^
>
> The newcomers that are getting turned off are not comparing PostgreSQL
> with Oracle; they are *vastly* more likely to be comparing with
> MySQL(tm)[1] or SQLite.

Hmmm, that depends really. I rarely run into people wanting PostgreSQL
help that ran MySQL. I often run into people that want PostgreSQL help
that ran Oracle or MSSQL (oddly not much DB2).

I guess if you are talking about the standard php fan boy, maybe but
then again I have tried to install and start using MySQL on several
occasions and I found it completely opaque.

Of course I didn't bother reading the documentation either... Funny that.

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Date:
> Hmmm, that depends really. I rarely run into people wanting PostgreSQL help
> that ran MySQL. I often run into people that want PostgreSQL help that ran
> Oracle or MSSQL (oddly not much DB2).

Ok, here's something I nabbed from one of my LJ articles.  Still a little
rough around the edges but a good start:

Configuring PostgreSQL

In this document, I'll describe how to get Postgres up and running on Linux.
When you're done reading, you should have a Postgres server configured with
one login user and a database belonging to that user.  (At this point, I'm
assuming that you've either compiled and installed from source or installed
from binary packages.)

Because of the different filesystem structures available to Unix and Linux
users, the first step you should perform after installation is determine
where Postgres lives.  You can do this with a command like the following:

su -c "find / -name pg_hba.conf"

When the command stops running, make note of the result, which may look like:

/opt/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf

As it is configured after a default installation, PostgreSQL authenticates
its users by checking their Linux identities. To create a more secure
application, you should change this to password authentication. The
following steps describe how to do so.  Before you begin, change to the
directory you found above.  This directory contains a number of files that
we'll have to edit.

First, modify the password of the database user postgres so that you can log
in when passwords are required:

    1.      At a command prompt, type su and enter your root password.
    2.      Then, type su postgres.
    3.      Now, start the psql monitor by typing psql template1.
    4.      We modify the password by typing alter user postgres with password 'pgUser89' or some other suitable
password.
    5.      Exit the monitor by typing \q and pressing Enter.

Now, change to the directory you found above.  This directory contains a
number of files that we'll have to edit.

Second, modify the pg_hba.conf file so that the database accepts md5
passwords for all connections. By default, it's configured to authenticate
based on the identity of the current Linux account. This file has lines that
look like this:

local   all    all                         trust
# IPv4 local connections:
host    all    all   127.0.0.1/32          md5
# IPv6 local connections:
host    all    all   ::1/128               md5

To enable passwords, change the trust option on the line for local to md5
and save the file. Then, restart PostgreSQL. On a Red Hat-like system, this
can be done by issuing the command /sbin/service postgresql reload.

After this is done, users and databases can be created by using PostgreSQL's
built-in tools or by using third-party tools such as PgAdminIII. The
PostgreSQL Web site always is the best resource for more information on
these topics.

Re: Need for "Getting Started" Tutorial

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
btw,

what if we'd have some video about real-time installation of PostgreSQL
under set of different OS ? xvidcap or some other tool could be used.
This video could be shown on conference as a station break on tv monitor.
On my Linux system, it takes several minutes to compile, install, initdb
and start postmaster.

On Wed, 2 May 2007, Federico wrote:

> On 5/2/07, Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele.bartolini@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I share the same feeling. One of the misconceptions with PostgreSQL is
>> that it is a very hard-to-install product, not user-friendly,
>> especially for potential new users such as students. That is totally
>> wrong and it is something that we must solve as community.
>
> It's All Relative as Einstein told us ;)
> If you compare the PostgreSQL installation with oracle's you discover
> that PostgreSQL is very simple ^_^
>
> SNIP
>
>> Tonight, Federico is going to start the Road To PGDay initiative in
>> Prato (we invite other members all over the world to dedicate one
>> event to PG promotion) and we have 25 subscribers! It's a great
>> result, if you think that it is an after-dinner event - even though it
>> is free.
>
> I'm happily surprised about the results of PLUG's road2pgday.
> I'll try to do my best as PostgreSQL evangelist tonight :)
>
> After the road2pgday I'll upload the  video of my talk on youtube.
>
> Regards
> Federico

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Date:
On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 02:39:58PM -0400, Joshua Kramer wrote:

> >Hmmm, that depends really. I rarely run into people wanting PostgreSQL
> >help that ran MySQL. I often run into people that want PostgreSQL help
> >that ran Oracle or MSSQL (oddly not much DB2).
>
> Ok, here's something I nabbed from one of my LJ articles.  Still a little
> rough around the edges but a good start:
>
> Configuring PostgreSQL
>
> In this document, I'll describe how to get Postgres up and running on
> Linux. When you're done reading, you should have a Postgres server
> configured with
> one login user and a database belonging to that user.  (At this point, I'm
> assuming that you've either compiled and installed from source or installed
> from binary packages.)
>
> Because of the different filesystem structures available to Unix and Linux
> users, the first step you should perform after installation is determine
> where Postgres lives.  You can do this with a command like the following:
>
> su -c "find / -name pg_hba.conf"

You might try

    su -c 'locate pg_hba.conf'

first.

> When the command stops running, make note of the result, which may look
> like:
>
> /opt/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf
>
> As it is configured after a default installation, PostgreSQL authenticates
> its users by checking their Linux identities. To create a more secure
> application, you should change this to password authentication. The
> following steps describe how to do so.  Before you begin, change to the
> directory you found above.  This directory contains a number of files that
> we'll have to edit.
>
> First, modify the password of the database user postgres so that you can log
> in when passwords are required:
>
>    1.      At a command prompt, type su and enter your root password.
>    2.      Then, type su postgres.

That should read

    su - postgres

in order to pick up environment settings, etc.  Also note that on some
of the *BSDs, the user is called pgsql, not postgres.

>    3.      Now, start the psql monitor by typing psql template1.

In modern versions of PostgreSQL, it's just psql

>    4.      We modify the password by typing alter user postgres with
>    password 'pgUser89' or some other suitable password.

That's probably not a good one, but choosing passwords is out of the
scope of this document.  Maybe a reference on the trade-offs and some
of the tools involved?

>    5.      Exit the monitor by typing \q and pressing Enter.
>
> Now, change to the directory you found above.  This directory contains a
> number of files that we'll have to edit.
>
> Second, modify the pg_hba.conf file so that the database accepts md5
> passwords for all connections. By default, it's configured to authenticate
> based on the identity of the current Linux account. This file has lines that
> look like this:
>
> # "local" is for Unix domain socket connections only
> local   all    all                         trust
> # IPv4 local connections:
> host    all    all   127.0.0.1/32          md5
> # IPv6 local connections:
> host    all    all   ::1/128               md5
>
> To enable passwords, change the trust option on the line for local to md5
> and save the file. Then, restart PostgreSQL. On a Red Hat-like system, this
> can be done by issuing the command /sbin/service postgresql reload.
>
> After this is done, users and databases can be created by using PostgreSQL's
> built-in tools or by using third-party tools such as PgAdminIII. The
> PostgreSQL Web site always is the best resource for more information on
> these topics.

It'd be good to mention <irc://irc.freenode.net/postgresql>