FYI, doing the PHP conference in Montreal this coming March

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
I'm doing a couple of talks there. I'm also offering to supply them a copy of the most recent version of pg_live for
allthe conference goers.

http://conf.phpquebec.com/en/conf2007/session

cheers

Robert

New liveCD?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Bernier, Koen:

We need to get a new 8.2 liveCD rolling ASAP to have it for the conferences
this spring.  How soon can you build one?

Thanks!

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: New liveCD?

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
On Friday 05 January 2007 16:57, Josh Berkus wrote:
> We need to get a new 8.2 liveCD rolling ASAP to have it for the conferences
> this spring.  How soon can you build one?

Suggest a deadline

Re: New liveCD?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 17:07 -0500, Robert Bernier wrote:
> On Friday 05 January 2007 16:57, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > We need to get a new 8.2 liveCD rolling ASAP to have it for the conferences
> > this spring.  How soon can you build one?
>
> Suggest a deadline

24 hours after 8.2.1 hits.

Joshua D. Drake

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: New liveCD?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Robert,

BTW, given that you're going to PHPCon, you might consider adding some PHP
stuff ...

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: New liveCD?

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
On Friday 05 January 2007 17:09, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > > How soon can you build one?
> >
> > Suggest a deadline
>
> 24 hours after 8.2.1 hits.

I really want to get the time to finish updating the CD with pljava.

Any luck getting somebody to work on plphp? Should I put out a cattle call at the PHP conference this coming March?

Re: New liveCD?

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
On Friday 05 January 2007 17:32, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Robert,
>
> BTW, given that you're going to PHPCon, you might consider adding some PHP
> stuff ...

As far as I know plphp is not working with 8.2

Suggestions?

On the other hand; I'm in the middle of wrapping up my latest contract with the Canadian Federal Government's ITERation
projectat the Treasury Board Secretariat which involves working with a plr enabled postgres engine. I could include a
'simple'demo on the pg_live webserver with php scripts along with a portion of the documentation that I'm writing up to
mypolitical master(s). It's not everyday you get the Canadian Governments CIO's personal seal of approval on a project
:-)

Re: New liveCD?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 18:40 -0500, Robert Bernier wrote:

> > > Suggest a deadline
> >
> > 24 hours after 8.2.1 hits.
>
> I really want to get the time to finish updating the CD with pljava.
>
> Any luck getting somebody to work on plphp?

Yes actually. We just updated it to not require apache any longer.
Alexey is on vacation right now so nothing is being done *right* this
second, but we plan on wrapping it up this month.

>  Should I put out a cattle call at the PHP conference this coming March?

Of course, the more users the better.

Joshua D. Drake

>        match

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: New liveCD?

From
Koen Martens
Date:
Hi Josh,

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Bernier, Koen:
>
> We need to get a new 8.2 liveCD rolling ASAP to have it for the conferences
> this spring.  How soon can you build one?
>
> Thanks!

Yes, I was planning on a new release this week, 24 hours after 8.2.1
is going to be a bit difficult though, i was more thinking along the
lines of end of the week (friday).

Gr,

Koen

Re: New liveCD?

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
Joshua,

On Friday 05 January 2007 19:04, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > Any luck getting somebody to work on plphp?
>
> Yes actually. We just updated it to not require apache any longer.
> Alexey is on vacation right now so nothing is being done *right* this
> second, but we plan on wrapping it up this month.

Should I take this to mean that plphp doesn't yet work with 8.2.1 as of right now?

Robert

Re: New liveCD?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 11:07 -0500, Robert Bernier wrote:
> Joshua,
>
> On Friday 05 January 2007 19:04, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > > Any luck getting somebody to work on plphp?
> >
> > Yes actually. We just updated it to not require apache any longer.
> > Alexey is on vacation right now so nothing is being done *right* this
> > second, but we plan on wrapping it up this month.
>
> Should I take this to mean that plphp doesn't yet work with 8.2.1 as of right now?

Yes.

> Robert

>        match

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: New liveCD?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 08:10 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 11:07 -0500, Robert Bernier wrote:
> > Joshua,

> > > Yes actually. We just updated it to not require apache any longer.
> > > Alexey is on vacation right now so nothing is being done *right* this
> > > second, but we plan on wrapping it up this month.
> >
> > Should I take this to mean that plphp doesn't yet work with 8.2.1 as of right now?
>
> Yes.

Actually I should adjust that. It doesn't work on 8.2.1 64bit. I
personally don't know if it works on 32bit yet or not. I will check
today.

32bit is so 2004.

Joshua D. Drake

> > Robert

> > TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to
> >        choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not
> >        match

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: New liveCD?

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
On Tuesday 09 January 2007 11:12, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> > > Should I take this to mean that plphp doesn't yet work with 8.2.1 as of right now?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> Actually I should adjust that. It doesn't work on 8.2.1 64bit. I
> personally don't know if it works on 32bit yet or not. I will check
> today.

We're talking about plphp-1.3.1 eh?

Re: New liveCD?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 11:17 -0500, Robert Bernier wrote:

> > > Yes.
> >
> > Actually I should adjust that. It doesn't work on 8.2.1 64bit. I
> > personally don't know if it works on 32bit yet or not. I will check
> > today.
>
> We're talking about plphp-1.3.1 eh?

No Trunk, which is almost done and will be plphp-1.4.

Joshua D. Drake

>        match

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: New liveCD?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Koen,

> Yes, I was planning on a new release this week, 24 hours after 8.2.1
> is going to be a bit difficult though, i was more thinking along the
> lines of end of the week (friday).

Are you & Robert working on the same CD?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: New liveCD?

From
Koen Martens
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Koen,
>
>> Yes, I was planning on a new release this week, 24 hours after 8.2.1
>> is going to be a bit difficult though, i was more thinking along the
>> lines of end of the week (friday).
>
> Are you & Robert working on the same CD?

I doubt it, I have been a bit out of touch with postgresql advocacy
and wasn't aware that Robert's cd was already released. What I was
referring to was the live cd referred on pgfoundry, the knopix-based
one (http://pgfoundry.org/news/?group_id=1000184).

We ran into a bit of trouble: the debian packages for postgresql
have not been updated. There is a postgresql-8.2.1 package, but all
the support packages still are for an 8.1 version.

The alternative would be of course to just compile/install from
source, but that would require a bit too much effort compared to the
time available, and would make further updates more cumbersome.

Best,

Koen

Re: New liveCD?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Koen,

> The alternative would be of course to just compile/install from
> source, but that would require a bit too much effort compared to the
> time available, and would make further updates more cumbersome.

Well, would you be interested in contributing materials to Robert's CD
instead, then?  For example, your CD had a Slony setup and Robert's does not.
There's also some other stuff it would be good to have:

a) sample application, which includes use of some PostgreSQL-only
functionality
b) some form of pictoral or animated tutorial
c) document of links on where to get all the other PostgreSQL stuff

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: New liveCD?

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
Josh,

On Thursday 11 January 2007 13:53, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Koen,
>
> > The alternative would be of course to just compile/install from
> > source, but that would require a bit too much effort compared to the
> > time available, and would make further updates more cumbersome.
>
> Well, would you be interested in contributing materials to Robert's CD
> instead, then?

I'd appreciate any assistance from Koen.

> For example, your CD had a Slony setup and Robert's does not.
> There's also some other stuff it would be good to have:

How's that different from the SLONY (current as of 8 jan), with documentation, that's been on my live CD for the past
coupleof years now?

> a) sample application, which includes use of some PostgreSQL-only
> functionality

What kind of sample application are you talking about? Right now, I've got SSH, pgpool a php enable webserver,
phppgadmin,pgadmin and of course psql.

> b) some form of pictoral or animated tutorial

It's true there's never enough nice eye candy but that takes as much effort as an article. My CD is currently
configuredto play multi-media

> c) document of links on where to get all the other PostgreSQL stuff

Heres a summary list of the current documentation on pg_live:
 ABOUT pg_live
    What's a live CD?
    Pg_live Features
    Clients & Utilities