This is our slashdot coverage?

From
Jeff Davis
Date:
This looks like it was written by an Oracle salesman:

http://it.slashdot.org/it/06/12/05/236220.shtml

Perhaps I don't know how /. works, but is there a way this story can be
elevated to better standing?

Regards,
    Jeff Davis

Re: This is our slashdot coverage?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Jeff,

> Perhaps I don't know how /. works, but is there a way this story can be
> elevated to better standing?

Depends.  Read it another way, it implies that the only reason we're not
better than DB2 and Oracle in every way is the lack of windowing
functions.   Wouldn't that be nice?

--Josh

Re: This is our slashdot coverage?

From
"Luke Lonergan"
Date:
Josh,

On 12/5/06 7:17 PM, "Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> Depends.  Read it another way, it implies that the only reason we're not
> better than DB2 and Oracle in every way is the lack of windowing
> functions.   Wouldn't that be nice?

And we're building the windowing functions as fast as we can ;-)

- Luke

Re: This is our slashdot coverage?

From
Kaare Rasmussen
Date:
> Depends.  Read it another way, it implies that the only reason we're not
> better than DB2 and Oracle in every way is the lack of windowing
> functions.   Wouldn't that be nice?

Isn't it true?

;-)

--

Med venlig hilsen
Kaare Rasmussen, Jasonic

Jasonic                 Telefon: +45 3816 2582
Nordre Fasanvej 12
2000 Frederiksberg      Email: kaare@jasonic.dk

Re: This is our slashdot coverage?

From
Brian Hurt
Date:
Jeff Davis wrote:

>This looks like it was written by an Oracle salesman:
>
>http://it.slashdot.org/it/06/12/05/236220.shtml
>
>Perhaps I don't know how /. works, but is there a way this story can be
>elevated to better standing?
>
>Regards,
>    Jeff Davis

>TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

I liked this response:
http://it.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=210124&cid=17123732

Brian

Re: This is our slashdot coverage?

From
Gavin Sherry
Date:
On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, Luke Lonergan wrote:

> Josh,
>
> On 12/5/06 7:17 PM, "Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
> > Depends.  Read it another way, it implies that the only reason we're not
> > better than DB2 and Oracle in every way is the lack of windowing
> > functions.   Wouldn't that be nice?
>
> And we're building the windowing functions as fast as we can ;-)

Yep!

The mention of window functions is weird though. DB2 does not support
window functions AFAIK. Oracle is the only all purpose database that does.

Gavin

Re: This is our slashdot coverage?

From
"Dan Scott"
Date:
On 06/12/06, Gavin Sherry <swm@linuxworld.com.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, Luke Lonergan wrote:
>
> > Josh,
> >
> > On 12/5/06 7:17 PM, "Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Depends.  Read it another way, it implies that the only reason we're not
> > > better than DB2 and Oracle in every way is the lack of windowing
> > > functions.   Wouldn't that be nice?
> >
> > And we're building the windowing functions as fast as we can ;-)
> >

> Yep!
>
> The mention of window functions is weird though. DB2 does not support
> window functions AFAIK. Oracle is the only all purpose database that does.
>
> Gavin

Nah. DB2 for Linux, UNIX, Windows has supported window functions since
Version 8 -- three years or so. IBM refers to them as "OLAP
functions".

A great little resource for comparing SQL capabilities is
http://troels.arvin.dk/db/rdbms/ -- see
http://troels.arvin.dk/db/rdbms/#select-limit for a discussion of
windowing functions.

The official IBM documentation is at (huge URL warning):
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v9/topic/com.ibm.db2.udb.admin.doc/doc/r0023461.htm

Dan

Re: This is our slashdot coverage?

From
Lukas Kahwe Smith

Re: This is our slashdot coverage?

From
"Mikael Carneholm"

> And we're building the windowing functions as fast as we can ;-)

Interesting. Which functions are you planning on implementing, more
specifically? (Personally, I have had great use of FIRST/LAST,
RANK/DENSE_RANK and LAG/LEAD)

/Mikael

Re: This is our slashdot coverage?

From
Ron Mayer
Dan Scott wrote:

> A great little resource for comparing SQL capabilities is
> http://troels.arvin.dk/db/rdbms/ -- see
> http://troels.arvin.dk/db/rdbms/#select-limit for a discussion of
> windowing functions.

Does someone need to ping this guy to get him to
update his pages for 8.2 features.  For example, he
tests the simple case of row value constructors that
postgresql now seems to support.  Not sure what
else changed on his list since 8.0 that I think he reviewed.

Date:
On Thu, 7 Dec 2006, Mikael Carneholm wrote:

> > And we're building the windowing functions as fast as we can ;-)
> >

> Interesting. Which functions are you planning on implementing, more
> specifically? (Personally, I have had great use of FIRST/LAST,
> RANK/DENSE_RANK and LAG/LEAD)

Interestingly, FIRST, LAST, LAG and LEAD are absent from the spec but
everyone I've spoken to has said they're close to being the most useful
:-). So, I'm aiming to do those as well.

Implemenenting the actual functions is trivial compared to implementing
the window construct in the executor (and planner).

Gavin

Re: This is our slashdot coverage?

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Thu, 2006-12-07 at 18:40 -0800, Ron Mayer wrote:
> Does someone need to ping this guy to get him to
> update his pages for 8.2 features.  For example, he
> tests the simple case of row value constructors that
> postgresql now seems to support.

I emailed Troels about row-value constructors -- I didn't notice
anything else that needed updating for 8.2.

-Neil