New dateline for release?

From
"Josh Berkus"
Date:
Folks,

Since 8.2 is not going to be out in time for any conference I know of,
we need to revert to using a default city for the date line.  In the
past, we've used New York, New York.  However, by a coincidence it's
fairly likely that several major PostgreSQL developers will be together
in the Bay Area around the time of the release, so I was thinking of
using San Francisco, CA.  It's also a shameless attempt to piggyback on
all of the Oracle hullaboloo currently in the news.

Are there any strong objections to this?

Also, based on a consensus reached around the 7.3 release, we're way
overdue for letting the Australians break the release in their time
zone (we've done the US and Europe twice each).  So if it's practical
with our web stuff, I'm going to do the release at 15:00 UTC.

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco 415-752-2500

Re: New dateline for release?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Since 8.2 is not going to be out in time for any conference I know of,
> we need to revert to using a default city for the date line.

USENIX Lisa? Or are we out farther than that?

 In the
> past, we've used New York, New York.  However, by a coincidence it's
> fairly likely that several major PostgreSQL developers will be together
> in the Bay Area around the time of the release, so I was thinking of
> using San Francisco, CA.  It's also a shameless attempt to piggyback on
> all of the Oracle hullaboloo currently in the news.
>
> Are there any strong objections to this?
>
> Also, based on a consensus reached around the 7.3 release, we're way
> overdue for letting the Australians break the release in their time
> zone (we've done the US and Europe twice each).  So if it's practical
> with our web stuff, I'm going to do the release at 15:00 UTC.
>

> Josh Berkus
> PostgreSQL @ Sun
> San Francisco 415-752-2500

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: New dateline for release?

From
"Harald Armin Massa"
Date:
Josh,

in the Bay Area around the time of the release, so I was thinking of
using San Francisco, CA.  It's also a shameless attempt to piggyback on
all of the Oracle hullaboloo currently in the news.

Are there any strong objections to this?

If you are going to San Francisco
with the PostgreSQL release
be sure to wear
some flowers in your hair.

Can we get an elephant with flowers in its hairs?

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare

Re: New dateline for release?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Harald,

> > If you are going to San Francisco
>
> with the PostgreSQL release
> be sure to wear
> some flowers in your hair.
>
> Can we get an elephant with flowers in its hairs?

Heh, ask Bruce.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: New dateline for release?

From
Jim Nasby
Date:
On Nov 4, 2006, at 11:54 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> If you are going to San Francisco
>>
>> with the PostgreSQL release
>> be sure to wear
>> some flowers in your hair.
>>
>> Can we get an elephant with flowers in its hairs?
>
> Heh, ask Bruce.

Careful... that elephant is likely to be wearing a tutu as well...

Re: New dateline for release?

From
Chander Ganesan
Jim Nasby wrote:

>>> with the PostgreSQL release
>>> be sure to wear
>>> some flowers in your hair.
>>>
>>> Can we get an elephant with flowers in its hairs?
Speaking of ways to spend the community dollars...how about getting Josh
to dress up like an elephant for the release..

http://www.marylen.com/jungle1.htm

They have elephant costumes with tutu's.. :-)

chander

>> Heh, ask Bruce.
>
> Careful... that elephant is likely to be wearing a tutu as well...
> --
> Jim Nasby                                            jim@nasby.net
> EnterpriseDB      http://enterprisedb.com      512.569.9461 (cell)

Chander Ganesan
The Open Technology Group
One Copley Parkway, Suite 210
Morrisville, NC  27560
Phone: 877-258-8987/919-463-0999
http://www.otg-nc.com

Re: New dateline for release?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

Due to bugs discovered this weekend,  the release has been postponed to
December 5 in Washington DC.  See you at LISA!

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: New dateline for release?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
> Speaking of ways to spend the community dollars...how about getting Josh
> to dress up like an elephant for the release..
>
> http://www.marylen.com/jungle1.htm
>
> They have elephant costumes with tutu's.. :-)

As long as it is JoshB and not JoshD, I am all for it.

Joshua D. Drake

> chander
>>>
>>> Heh, ask Bruce.
>>
>> Careful... that elephant is likely to be wearing a tutu as well...
>> --
>> Jim Nasby                                            jim@nasby.net
>> EnterpriseDB      http://enterprisedb.com      512.569.9461 (cell)

>> TIP 3: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
>>
>>               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: New dateline for release?

From
"Harald Armin Massa"
Date:
Chander,

>>> Can we get an elephant with flowers in its hairs?
Speaking of ways to spend the community dollars...how about getting Josh
to dress up like an elephant for the release..

They have elephant costumes with tutu's.. :-)

Nice. But now that they moved to Wahington, D.C., the elephant no longer needs to wear flowers in his hair :(

But now we can title "first good news from Washington in years: PostgreSQL 8.2 released on... 2006-12-5" ...

Sad that not 2006-12-06 was chosen, that is "St. Nicolaus Day" who normally brings presents.

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare