full disjunction in press kit for 8.2

From
Cornelia Boenigk
Date:
Hi all

The press-kit says:
Full Disjunctions: thanks to Google Summer of Code, PostgreSQL is the
first database system to have an implementation of this radical new
join algorithm.

But I don't find this item either in the release notes nor in the
documentation.

Does 8.2 support full disjunction?
And if yes, where ist it mentioned?

Regards
Conni

Re: full disjunction in press kit for 8.2

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Cornelia Boenigk wrote:
> Hi all
>
> The press-kit says:
> Full Disjunctions: thanks to Google Summer of Code, PostgreSQL is the
> first database system to have an implementation of this radical new join
> algorithm.
>
> But I don't find this item either in the release notes nor in the
> documentation.
>
> Does 8.2 support full disjunction?

PostgreSQL 8.2 does support full disjunctions via a Pgfoundry project:

http://pgfoundry.org/projects/fulldisjunction/

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: full disjunction in press kit for 8.2

From
Cornelia Boenigk
Date:
Hi Josh

 > PostgreSQL 8.2 does support full disjunctions via a Pgfoundry project:
 >
 > http://pgfoundry.org/projects/fulldisjunction/

Should'nt this be mentioned as such? It looks like PG would support it
natively.

Greetings
Conni

Re: full disjunction in press kit for 8.2

From
usleepless@gmail.com
Date:
Hi,

On 10/14/06, Cornelia Boenigk <poppcorn@cornelia-boenigk.de> wrote:
> Hi Josh
>
>  > PostgreSQL 8.2 does support full disjunctions via a Pgfoundry project:
>  >
>  > http://pgfoundry.org/projects/fulldisjunction/
>
> Should'nt this be mentioned as such? It looks like PG would support it
> natively.

furthermore, i feel that their is a lack of information on these
pages. although i am pretty familiair with databases and know what
joins are, what inner joins are, what left and right outer joins
are... and let's not forget natural joins btw :-)

i am unsure what full disjunctions are. i can do an educated guess
which is probably right, but... is the target audience aware?

in fact i found no information except "The full-disjunction operation
is a variation of the join operator that maximally combines tuples
from connected relations, while preserving all information in the
relations. Useful for integrating heterogeneous data sources (web
sources). BSD License."

i guess i have to download it to find more documentation?

at least, there should be an example somewhere on these pages.

"yeah... well...  you know that is just like ehhh... your opinion man"
 (The Dude)

take it anyway you would like,

regards,

usleep

Re: full disjunction in press kit for 8.2

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Conni,

>  > PostgreSQL 8.2 does support full disjunctions via a Pgfoundry project:
>  >
>  > http://pgfoundry.org/projects/fulldisjunction/
>
> Should'nt this be mentioned as such? It looks like PG would support it
> natively.

The quote from the press kit is in the section about pgFoundry.  I wanted to
include a mention of the Full Disjunctions project because it bolsters our
claim to "the most advanced open source database", even though it won't be
ready for inclusion into the core code until at least v8.3.

There was earlier discussion on this list about it.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: full disjunction in press kit for 8.2

From
"Harald Armin Massa"
Date:
 I wanted to
include a mention of the Full Disjunctions project because it bolsters our
claim to "the most advanced open source database", even though it won't be
ready for inclusion into the core code until at least v8.3.

That is a noble idea, Josh; and I think it really fits. I tried to follow that Full Disjunctions threads and discussions, but up to today I still do not know what a Full Disjunction really is.

Is there anything more than the allready mentioned Web Link with that short abstract, that FD is good for Webservices (200points for BuzzWordCompatibilitie); but some simple example with 2 tables who are full disjunctioned would be very very helpfull.

Has anyone a hint? (yes. I googled it)

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare

Re: full disjunction in press kit for 8.2

From
Shane Ambler
Date:
Harald Armin Massa wrote:
> but up to today I still do
> not know what a Full Disjunction really is.

I agree there, I would like a good definition too - it took me a while
to find a definition of what a symmetric difference is (from a different
db) and I found the definition in a discussion about 3D modelling. (it
is a union minus the intersection)

Re: full disjunction in press kit for 8.2

From
"Dan Langille"
Date:
On 15 Oct 2006 at 23:20, Harald Armin Massa wrote:

> >  I wanted to
> > include a mention of the Full Disjunctions project because it bolsters our
> > claim to "the most advanced open source database", even though it won't be
> > ready for inclusion into the core code until at least v8.3.
> >

> That is a noble idea, Josh; and I think it really fits. I tried to follow
> that Full Disjunctions threads and discussions, but up to today I still do
> not know what a Full Disjunction really is.
>
> Is there anything more than the allready mentioned Web Link with that short
> abstract, that FD is good for Webservices (200points for
> BuzzWordCompatibilitie); but some simple example with 2 tables who are full
> disjunctioned would be very very helpfull.
>
> Has anyone a hint? (yes. I googled it)

http://code.google.com/soc/pgsql/appinfo.html?csaid=34B13296DE039A78

It looks to be useful for circular references.

--
Dan Langille : Software Developer looking for work
my resume: http://www.freebsddiary.org/dan_langille.php