Deployment Case Study Presentations

From
"John Wang"
Date:
One of the most useful things I've found regarding MySQL is the deployment presentations that various sites have put together. Sites like Flickr, LiveJournal, Mixi, Wikipedia and others have put together presentations detailing their load, environments and configurations. Here is a list of the presentations I have found:

http://www.dev411.com/blog/2006/10/05/mysql-deployment-presentations

I think presentations like these make people more confident about choosing and scaling with MySQL. Is there anything like these for high traffic/load sites for PostgreSQL?

--
John Wang
http://www.dev411.com/blog/

Re: Deployment Case Study Presentations

From
Lukas Kahwe Smith
John Wang wrote:

> http://www.dev411.com/blog/2006/10/05/mysql-deployment-presentations
>
> I think presentations like these make people more confident about
> choosing and scaling with MySQL. Is there anything like these for high
> traffic/load sites for PostgreSQL?

http://images.omniti.net/omniti.com/~jesus/misc/BBPostgres.pdf

regards,
Lukas

Re: Deployment Case Study Presentations

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:

That should be added to http://www.postgresql.org/about/casestudies/

Date:
On 10/10/06, Jim C. Nasby <jim@nasby.net> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 08:34:17AM +0200, Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
> John Wang wrote:
>
> >http://www.dev411.com/blog/2006/10/05/mysql-deployment-presentations
> >
> >I think presentations like these make people more confident about
> >choosing and scaling with MySQL. Is there anything like these for high
> >traffic/load sites for PostgreSQL?
>
> http://images.omniti.net/omniti.com/~jesus/misc/BBPostgres.pdf

That should be added to http://www.postgresql.org/about/casestudies/

Thanks Lukas and Jim. The OmniTI presentation is great and along the lines that I'm looking for, presentations that are geared towards a technical audience working on deploying and adminstering the database. The documents at /about/casestudies seem more marketing oriented and less useful for someone who has to roll up his/her sleeves. I purposely did not list marketing case study material for MySQL because it's not as interesting for me at the moment. I've added a link to the OmniTI presentation but left off the marketing oriented brochures and white papers.

On a related topic, does anyone know of any high traffic Web 2.0 sites using PostgreSQL (with or without presentations)? It seems like most of the high traffc Web 2.0 sites use MySQL. It would be good to know if PostgreSQL is deployed in situations with similar load profiles.

--
John Wang
http://www.dev411.com/blog/

Re: Deployment Case Study Presentations

From
Chris Browne
Date:
johncwang@gmail.com ("John Wang") writes:
> Thanks Lukas and Jim. The OmniTI presentation is great and along the
> lines that I'm looking for, presentations that are geared towards a
> technical audience working on deploying and adminstering the
> database.

Speaking of presentations, does anyone have one on pl/Perl?  Or
something that has a chunk of material on pl/Perl?  I presented for
the local LUG last night <http://gtalug.org/wiki/Meetings:2006-10> on
"What's new with 8.2?", and was asked if I could present something to
the local PerlMongers <http://to.pm.org/>.

If there's some material to borrow concerning:
a) Pl/perl - the new generation
b) The state of DBI
c) Evil libraries that will cause your apps to suck [dbrow comes to mind;
   it has a habit of leaving transactions open, <IDLE> in transaction...]
that could be purty handy.

I should see about uploading my presentation somewhere on the Techdocs
site so that people might be able to mine it, too...
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'acm.org';
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/multiplexor.html

Re: Deployment Case Study Presentations

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 03:54:30PM -0400, Chris Browne wrote:
> johncwang@gmail.com ("John Wang") writes:
> > Thanks Lukas and Jim. The OmniTI presentation is great and along
> > the lines that I'm looking for, presentations that are geared
> > towards a technical audience working on deploying and adminstering
> > the database.
>
> Speaking of presentations, does anyone have one on pl/Perl?  Or
> something that has a chunk of material on pl/Perl?

I've got some slides from a PL/Perl talk I gave at FISL 7.0
<http://fetter.org/Perl_and_PostgreSQL.pdf>

The slides illustrate one cute thing you can do with PL/Perl that
would be challenging any other way :)

Cheers,
Dave.
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!

pl/Perl

From
Chris Browne
Date:
david@fetter.org (David Fetter) writes:
> On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 03:54:30PM -0400, Chris Browne wrote:
>> johncwang@gmail.com ("John Wang") writes:
>> > Thanks Lukas and Jim. The OmniTI presentation is great and along
>> > the lines that I'm looking for, presentations that are geared
>> > towards a technical audience working on deploying and adminstering
>> > the database.
>>
>> Speaking of presentations, does anyone have one on pl/Perl?  Or
>> something that has a chunk of material on pl/Perl?
>
> I've got some slides from a PL/Perl talk I gave at FISL 7.0
> <http://fetter.org/Perl_and_PostgreSQL.pdf>
>
> The slides illustrate one cute thing you can do with PL/Perl that
> would be challenging any other way :)

Pretty neat, albeit brief.  [And definitely done using Keynote...]

Something that strikes me as really useful would be to point to some
Perl DB access libraries as being either highly recommended or not
based on stuff like whether they hold transactions open.  That's not a
pl/Perl thing, but it falls into what PerlMongers ought to be
interested in.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="acm.org" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/x.html

Re: pl/Perl

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 05:46:59PM -0400, Chris Browne wrote:
> david@fetter.org (David Fetter) writes:
> >>
> >> Speaking of presentations, does anyone have one on pl/Perl?  Or
> >> something that has a chunk of material on pl/Perl?
> >
> > I've got some slides from a PL/Perl talk I gave at FISL 7.0
> > <http://fetter.org/Perl_and_PostgreSQL.pdf>
> >
> > The slides illustrate one cute thing you can do with PL/Perl that
> > would be challenging any other way :)
>
> Pretty neat, albeit brief.

Good talks are like good dresses: short enough to be interesting, long
enough to cover the subject.

> [And definitely done using Keynote...]

And proud of it. :)

> Something that strikes me as really useful would be to point to some
> Perl DB access libraries as being either highly recommended or not
> based on stuff like whether they hold transactions open.  That's not
> a pl/Perl thing, but it falls into what PerlMongers ought to be
> interested in.

I'll be shoving DBI-Link 2.0beta1 out the door tomorrow or Friday. :)
Explaining how it works to a newcomer audience would take a couple of
hours, tho.  Some of the other slides on
<http://fetter.org/resume.html> also at least touch on PL/Perl.