Should we coordinate a slashdot submission for 8.2?

From
Jeff Davis
Date:
Most major PostgreSQL news gets slashdotted, and I'm sure that makes up
a big part of the press PostgreSQL receives (as far as mindshare, at
least).

Should we coordinate a slashdot submission? I know it's non-
deterministic which one they choose, but I would think a submission from
Josh (since he's the official advocacy leader) would be more likely to
be used, if available.

Perhaps it would be beneficial because there is not room in a slashdot
blurb for the full press release. I would think that carefully chosen
words would benefit us more than waiting for a community member to send
in a submission.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis

Re: Should we coordinate a slashdot submission for

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Jeff,

> Should we coordinate a slashdot submission? I know it's non-
> deterministic which one they choose, but I would think a submission from
> Josh (since he's the official advocacy leader) would be more likely to
> be used, if available.

Actually, no.  /. prefers second-hand reports, preferably referring to
another news source.  A post from me would be extremely unlikely to be
accepted.

However, Newsforge and/or Linux.com are pretty much certain to run
stories about the release, which makes slashdotting very likely.

Also, while /. is gratifying in terms of server load, I'm not certain
how successful it is at attracting new users or developers.

--Josh

Re: Should we coordinate a slashdot submission for

From
Jeff Trout
Date:
On Oct 2, 2006, at 11:04 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Also, while /. is gratifying in terms of server load, I'm not
> certain how successful it is at attracting new users or developers.

It may not attract new folks, but it is *VERY* useful for having the
mysql vs pg discussion where everybody says the same exact things
again :)

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.dellsmartexitin.com/