Re: Should we coordinate a slashdot submission for - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Should we coordinate a slashdot submission for
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Jeff,

> Should we coordinate a slashdot submission? I know it's non-
> deterministic which one they choose, but I would think a submission from
> Josh (since he's the official advocacy leader) would be more likely to
> be used, if available.

Actually, no.  /. prefers second-hand reports, preferably referring to
another news source.  A post from me would be extremely unlikely to be
accepted.

However, Newsforge and/or Linux.com are pretty much certain to run
stories about the release, which makes slashdotting very likely.

Also, while /. is gratifying in terms of server load, I'm not certain
how successful it is at attracting new users or developers.

--Josh