8.2 Release: need help digesting the release notes

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

OK, there's been a *lot* of changes on what's in and what's out for the
PostgreSQL release since my first draft.  Can I have some help with this?

We're looking for things actually in 8.2, according to Bruce's release notes,
which will make sense to the press and moderately technical non-DBA readers.

http://momjian.us/cgi-bin/pgrelease

We'll want to pick out 3-5 things for the main release, and another 3-5 things
for the extended release.   The extended release items can be things which
matter only to existing users (like pg_dump improvements) but the main
release items need to be things which are "buzzword compliant" or otherwise
newsworthy.

One big thing is overall performance, which is up 20% overall on OLTP workload
tests at Sun. (SpecJ and TPC)

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: 8.2 Release: need help digesting the release notes

From
Chris Browne
Date:
josh@agliodbs.com (Josh Berkus) writes:

> Folks,
>
> OK, there's been a *lot* of changes on what's in and what's out for the
> PostgreSQL release since my first draft.  Can I have some help with this?
>
> We're looking for things actually in 8.2, according to Bruce's release notes,
> which will make sense to the press and moderately technical non-DBA readers.
>
> http://momjian.us/cgi-bin/pgrelease
>
> We'll want to pick out 3-5 things for the main release, and another 3-5 things
> for the extended release.   The extended release items can be things which
> matter only to existing users (like pg_dump improvements) but the main
> release items need to be things which are "buzzword compliant" or otherwise
> newsworthy.

On the "main release" side, it's a pretty tough call.  Here are things
maybe worth mentioning.

- PITR functionality has been improved, allowing more precise control
  over WAL file generation, thereby giving better control over standby
  servers.

- Support multi-row VALUES clauses

- It seems to me that the combination of the various object
  manipulation changes could be collected together as being similar.

   e.g. - DROP x IF EXISTS, DROP OWNED, REASSIGN OWNED, sequence usage
   changes

Extended release:

- Allow units to be specified in configuration settings (Peter)

  You can now set shared_buffers to "32000kB", for example.

- pg_dump can select objects via regexp

- COPY can dump based on a SELECT
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "linuxdatabases.info")
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/sap.html

Re: 8.2 Release: need help digesting the release notes

From
"Harald Armin Massa"
Date:
Josh,

We're looking for things actually in 8.2, according to Bruce's release notes,
which will make sense to the press and moderately technical non-DBA readers.

One big thing is overall performance, which is up 20% overall on OLTP workload
tests at Sun. (SpecJ and TPC)

first thing: has there been tests of performance improvement on win32? As there have been various adjustments, there might be even more then 20%.

For the main part:
- Major tsearch2 improvements (Oleg, Teodor):multibyte encoding support (including UTF8)
tsearch2 supporting UTF-8 is really helpfull for multilanguage applications!

those sql2003 functions: Add new aggregate functions from SQL2003 (Neil)
-> that improves the sql2003 compliance even further, doesn't it?

what I did not find on that list: wasn't there a patch by Magnus which allows to start postgres as an administrator on win32, with privilege dropping on start? That will be a real helper for many win32 users -> PostgreSQL enters the ACCESS market

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare

Date:
josh@agliodbs.com (Josh Berkus) writes:
> OK, there's been a *lot* of changes on what's in and what's out for the
> PostgreSQL release since my first draft.  Can I have some help with this?
>
> We're looking for things actually in 8.2, according to Bruce's release notes,
> which will make sense to the press and moderately technical non-DBA readers.
>
> http://momjian.us/cgi-bin/pgrelease
>
> We'll want to pick out 3-5 things for the main release, and another 3-5 things
> for the extended release.   The extended release items can be things which
> matter only to existing users (like pg_dump improvements) but the main
> release items need to be things which are "buzzword compliant" or otherwise
> newsworthy.
>
> One big thing is overall performance, which is up 20% overall on OLTP workload
> tests at Sun. (SpecJ and TPC)

Looking back at your presentation to JPUG (I think...), there were a
number of items listed as coming in 8.2 that I'm not sure have
actually made it.  Or perhaps they are there, and should be in the
release notes.

1.  Faster sorting - apparently some algorithm/memory improvements

  I think I see this one as a Simon/Tom change

2.  Outer Join optimization - up to 300% improvement

  I think I see this one...

3.  PL/pgSQL debugger

 I think that's listed as the following:

  Add support for libraries that enhance server-side languages (Korry Douglas)

    Such libraries can be used for debugging or performance measurement.

4.  TSearch3

  It looks like they didn't rename it; still called TSearch2

Those are some items that might fit into either the main or extended
release...
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "linuxfinances.info")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/spiritual.html

Re: 8.2 Release: need help digesting the release notes

From
Dimitri Fontaine
Date:
Hi people,

As it seems i've had some problems with my registration, i post my precedent
email (bouncing does not work) as an attachment.

It seems the release not i've read are been edited, i'm not sure if my
previous email is still pertinent.
This is more a test to check i'm able to post messages to this list.

Sorry for inconvenience, if any,
--
Dimitri Fontaine
Hi people,

Le vendredi 15 septembre 2006 06:27, vous avez écrit :
> http://momjian.us/cgi-bin/pgrelease

There's quite a lot of things to read on this page!
PostgreSQL work for this release is once more amazing...

> We'll want to pick out 3-5 things for the main release, and another 3-5
> things for the extended release.   The extended release items can be things
> which matter only to existing users (like pg_dump improvements) but the
> main release items need to be things which are "buzzword compliant" or
> otherwise newsworthy.

I've just spent a couple of hours reading bruce's notes, and here's my topics
proposal. This proposal is only based on this resource.

I try to provide a first single line keyword, then I cite release note
involved lines.
When this single line reference does not seem to be related to the topic you
read it in, please refer to Bruce's list before to complain: the comment
should tell you more about it.

Topic names are (of course) only indications, english language not being my
natural language, and myself not being that much of a marketing aware kind of
person :)

main release items choice
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

* SQL2003 compatibility

  - Make row comparisons follow <acronym>SQL</> standard semantics and allow
    them to be used in index scans (Tom)
  - Enable standard_conforming_strings to be turned on (Kevin Grittner)
  - Disallow aggregate functions in <command>UPDATE</> commands (unless within
    a subquery) (Tom)
  - Add support for multi-row <literal>VALUES</> clauses as part of
    <command>INSERT</> and <command>SELECT</> statements (Joe, Tom)
  - Aggregate functions now support multiple input parameters
    (Sergey Koposov, Tom)
  - Add new aggregate functions from SQL2003 (Neil)
  - Add SQL2003-standard statistical aggregates (Sergey Koposov)

* better citizen release (win32, ldap, dtrace and oracle support)

  - Add native <acronym>LDAP</> authentication (Magnus Hagander)
  - Win32 stability fixes (Magnus)
  - Improve handling of intermittent file system and resource failures on
    win32 platforms (Qingqing Zhou)
  - Add <literal>STRICT</> to <command>SELECT INTO</> (Matt Miller)
    -- oracle compatibility
  - Add DTrace support (Robert Lor)
  - Allow <acronym>MSVC</> to compile the PostgreSQL server
    (Magnus, Hiroshi Saito)

* Prepared statement improving (performance, logging/debugging, explain
  support, better planning)

  - Improve logging of protocol-level prepare/bind/execute messages
    (Bruce, Tom)
  - Support portal parameters in <command>EXPLAIN</> and <command>EXECUTE</>
    (Tom)
  - Add system view <literal>pg_prepared_statements</> to show prepared
    statements (Joachim Wieland)
  - Protocol-level unnamed prepared statements are re-planned for each set of
    <literal>BIND</> values (Tom)

> One big thing is overall performance, which is up 20% overall on OLTP
> workload tests at Sun. (SpecJ and TPC)

* Overall performance improving

  - Improve locking performance by breaking locks into sections (Tom)
  - Improve performance of statistics monitoring, especially
    <literal>pg_stat_activity</> (Tom)
  - Allow the planner to re-order <literal>OUTER JOIN</>s when possible (Tom)
  - Improve subtransaction performance (Alvaro, Itagaki Takahiro, Tom)

* Features

  - Add option to allow indexes to be created indexes without blocking
    concurrent writes to the table (Greg Stark)
  - Major tsearch2 improvements (Oleg, Teodor)
  - Add hstore module (Oleg, Teodor)

extended release items choice
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

* DBA support

  - Allow <command>COPY</> to dump a <command>SELECT</> query
    (Zoltan Boszormenyi, Karel Zak)
  - Allow multi-line values to align in the proper column in psql
    (Martijn van Oosterhout)
  - Save multi-line statements as a single entry, rather than one line at
    a time (Sergey E. Koposov)
  - Improve highlighting of error location in query in more cases (Tom)
  - Add <application>pg_restore</> option to run the entire session in a
    single transaction (Simon)
  - Add pg_freespacemap to display free space map information (Mark Kirkwood)

* Fine grained online backup control and restartable recovery

  - Allow a forced switch to a new xlog file (Simon Riggs, Tom)
  - Allow <acronym>WAL</> replay to be restored quicker in case of a crash
    (Simon Riggs)
  - Add timer to force xlog file switches at a given interval (Simon Riggs)

* complete ddl partitionning

  - Allow constraint exclusion to be applied to inherited
    <command>UPDATE</>/<command>DELETE</> queries (Tom)
  - Add <literal>ALTER TABLE ... [NO] INHERIT</> (Greg Stark)

Homework's done, hope you like it :)
--
dim

Attachment

Date:

Date:
Harald Armin Massa wrote:
> what I did not find on that list: wasn't there a patch by Magnus which
> allows to start postgres as an administrator on win32, with privilege
> dropping on start? That will be a real helper for many win32 users ->
> PostgreSQL enters the ACCESS market

Uh, Win32 guys, is this an item that should be in the release notes?

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce@momjian.us

Re: 8.2 Release: need help digesting the release notes

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> > what I did not find on that list: wasn't there a patch by Magnus
> which
> > allows to start postgres as an administrator on win32, with
> privilege
> > dropping on start? That will be a real helper for many win32
> users ->
> > PostgreSQL enters the ACCESS market
>
> Uh, Win32 guys, is this an item that should be in the release
> notes?

Given the number of complaints we received about the previous behavior,
I think so. But since I wrote the feature, I don't think I should be the
one to tell you if it should go in there, so let's hear others :-)

//Magnus

Re: 8.2 Release: need help digesting the

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > > what I did not find on that list: wasn't there a patch by Magnus
> > which
> > > allows to start postgres as an administrator on win32, with
> > privilege
> > > dropping on start? That will be a real helper for many win32
> > users ->
> > > PostgreSQL enters the ACCESS market
> >
> > Uh, Win32 guys, is this an item that should be in the release
> > notes?
>
> Given the number of complaints we received about the previous behavior,
> I think so. But since I wrote the feature, I don't think I should be the
> one to tell you if it should go in there, so let's hear others :-)

No, I think you are the perfect one to tell me.  What would the TODO
wording be, please?

--

Date:
> Magnus
> > > which
> > > privilege
> > > users ->
> > >
> > > Uh, Win32 guys, is this an item that should be in the release
> notes?
> >
> > Given the number of complaints we received about the previous
> > behavior, I think so. But since I wrote the feature, I don't
> think I
> > should be the one to tell you if it should go in there, so let's
> hear
> > others :-)
>
> No, I think you are the perfect one to tell me.  What would the
> TODO wording be, please?

I assume you mean releasenotes wording and not TODO, right?

* On Win32, PostgreSQL will drop privileges when started, permitting
servers running from an administrative account

Or something along that line?

//Magnus

Re: 8.2 Release: need help digesting the

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > Magnus

> > notes?
> > >
> > > Given the number of complaints we received about the previous
> > > behavior, I think so. But since I wrote the feature, I don't
> > think I
> > > should be the one to tell you if it should go in there, so let's
> > hear
> > > others :-)
> >
> > No, I think you are the perfect one to tell me.  What would the
> > TODO wording be, please?
>
> I assume you mean releasenotes wording and not TODO, right?
>

> * On Win32, PostgreSQL will drop privileges when started, permitting
> servers running from an administrative account
>
> Or something along that line?

Sorry, yea, release notes.  Item added to Win32 section:

        Drop privileges on startup so servers can be started from
        an administrative account (Magnus)

--

Date:
> > I assume you mean releasenotes wording and not TODO, right?
> >

> > * On Win32, PostgreSQL will drop privileges when started,
> permitting
> > servers running from an administrative account
> >
> > Or something along that line?
>
> Sorry, yea, release notes.  Item added to Win32 section:
>
>         Drop privileges on startup so servers can be started from
>         an administrative account (Magnus)

I think you need to clearify that it's win32 onlyi.

//Magnus

Re: 8.2 Release: need help digesting the

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > > I assume you mean releasenotes wording and not TODO, right?
> > >

> > > * On Win32, PostgreSQL will drop privileges when started,
> > permitting
> > > servers running from an administrative account
> > >
> > > Or something along that line?
> >
> > Sorry, yea, release notes.  Item added to Win32 section:
> >
> >         Drop privileges on startup so servers can be started from
> >         an administrative account (Magnus)
>
> I think you need to clearify that it's win32 onlyi.

We don't normally re-mention the section title for an item. I am hoping
"administrative" will be enough of a hint.  If we see confusion, we can
add Win32 later.

--

Date:
> > > permitting

> > > Sorry, yea, release notes.  Item added to Win32 section:
> > >
> > >         Drop privileges on startup so servers can be started from
> > >         an administrative account (Magnus)
> >
> > I think you need to clearify that it's win32 onlyi.
>
> We don't normally re-mention the section title for an item. I
> am hoping "administrative" will be enough of a hint.  If we
> see confusion, we can add Win32 later.

Oh, didn't realise there was a win32 issue. Then it's fine, no need to
remention it
.
//Magnus

Re: 8.2 Release: need help digesting the

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>> permitting

>>> Sorry, yea, release notes.  Item added to Win32 section:
>>>
>>>         Drop privileges on startup so servers can be started from
>>>         an administrative account (Magnus)
>> I think you need to clearify that it's win32 onlyi.
>
> We don't normally re-mention the section title for an item. I am hoping
> "administrative" will be enough of a hint.  If we see confusion, we can
> add Win32 later.

I think that is going to cause people to think they can start postgresql
as root.

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/