CMD + PostgreSQL Kudos

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=610401

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: CMD + PostgreSQL Kudos

From
Jeff Davis
Date:
On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 19:17 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=610401

I remember that SF.net was on PostgreSQL, then I thought they moved to
Oracle. Are they back on PostgreSQL now? Am I completely mistaken?

Regardless, congratulations on the successful cutover! That says a lot
for PostgreSQL and CMD.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis

Re: CMD + PostgreSQL Kudos

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Jeff Davis wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 19:17 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=610401
>
> I remember that SF.net was on PostgreSQL, then I thought they moved to
> Oracle. Are they back on PostgreSQL now? Am I completely mistaken?

I don't know much about the old stuff. I can tell you that they now run
PostgreSQL 8.1.4.

Joshua D. Drake

> Regardless, congratulations on the successful cutover! That says a lot
> for PostgreSQL and CMD.
>
> Regards,
>     Jeff Davis

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: CMD + PostgreSQL Kudos

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Saturday 09 September 2006 00:32, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Jeff Davis wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 19:17 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >> https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=610401
> >
> > I remember that SF.net was on PostgreSQL, then I thought they moved to
> > Oracle. Are they back on PostgreSQL now? Am I completely mistaken?
>
> I don't know much about the old stuff. I can tell you that they now run
> PostgreSQL 8.1.4.

Would be nice to add them to the users page, can you get us an official ok for
that?

--
Robert Treat

Re: CMD + PostgreSQL Kudos

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Jeff Davis wrote:
> >On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 19:17 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >>https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=610401
> >
> >I remember that SF.net was on PostgreSQL, then I thought they moved to
> >Oracle. Are they back on PostgreSQL now? Am I completely mistaken?
>
> I don't know much about the old stuff. I can tell you that they now run
> PostgreSQL 8.1.4.

They were running Postgres 7.2 back then and migrated to DB2 because IBM
gave licenses to them for free.  They made a press release out of this,
so you might be able to find it.  The free license term expired (or is
about to expire, not sure), so they came back and are very happy because
the current version of Postgres is just so much better than what 7.2
was.

They had migrated to Postgres from MySQL, around 2000/2001 I think, and
they made a lot of noise about it because Postgres was so much better.

Re: CMD + PostgreSQL Kudos

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
The world rejoiced as jd@commandprompt.com ("Joshua D. Drake") wrote:
> https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=610401

That's pretty good news.

I seem to recall them having migrated from PostgreSQL to DB2; is it
publicly commentable the degree to which they have moved back?
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "gmail.com")
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/slony.html

Re: CMD + PostgreSQL Kudos

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Christopher Browne wrote:
> The world rejoiced as jd@commandprompt.com ("Joshua D. Drake") wrote:
>> https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=610401
>
> That's pretty good news.
>
> I seem to recall them having migrated from PostgreSQL to DB2; is it
> publicly commentable the degree to which they have moved back?

Well they publicly make mention that they have upgraded PostgreSQL I am
sure we can say that. As far as other things such as DB2, I don't know
about that and we should probably just stick to something like:

SourceForge sees huge performance increase by using PostgreSQL 8.1.

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: CMD + PostgreSQL Kudos

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

a) It's OK to list SourceForge on our Users page.   I talked to one of
their managers about this at LWE-SF.

> > I seem to recall them having migrated from PostgreSQL to DB2; is it
> > publicly commentable the degree to which they have moved back?

I believe that the planned migration to DB2 never actually happened; they
have been running on PostgreSQL, always.   You can ask Adi to confirm if
that's true.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: CMD + PostgreSQL Kudos

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:

> > > I seem to recall them having migrated from PostgreSQL to DB2; is it
> > > publicly commentable the degree to which they have moved back?
>
> I believe that the planned migration to DB2 never actually happened; they
> have been running on PostgreSQL, always.   You can ask Adi to confirm if
> that's true.

No, Adi told me a couple of years ago that they did migrate to DB2.

Re: CMD + PostgreSQL Kudos

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Tuesday 12 September 2006 15:48, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> a) It's OK to list SourceForge on our Users page.   I talked to one of
> their managers about this at LWE-SF.

Anyone know of any public quotes / articles / podcasts that discuss there
recent move back to postgres?

--
Robert Treat