Quotes for release

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

OK, I've solicited Sun, Apple, Unisys and OmniTI for quotes for the 8.2
release.   We may end up with Sun simply becuase I can reach an executive
at Sun and get a quote out of them, whereas both Unisys and Apple have
been fence-sitting about any public support for us.

Given Pervasive's shutdown, I think it's essential that we get the quote of
a Fortune 500 company on the release to show that we're still relevant.
So I don't think a quote from a startup or small consulting company is
equivalent.

If we do end up with Sun as the "suit" quote, then I'd like to have a
backup for OmniTi as the "8.2 features" quote, since OmniTi is a big
Solaris vendor and we don't want the release All About Sun.    Can anoyone
come up with another medium-to-high-profile PostgreSQL user who can be
enthusiastic about some/all 8.2 features?  Maybe Greenplum has someone?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Quotes for release

From
"Andy Astor"
Date:
I'm would think Sony would be happy to give support. We may be able to get
other companies as well. I am copying Christian Danella, president of
Prequent - our PR agency - who can coordinate getting supportive quotes.

andy

Re: Quotes for release

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Andy,

> I'm would think Sony would be happy to give support. We may be able to get
> other companies as well. I am copying Christian Danella, president of
> Prequent - our PR agency - who can coordinate getting supportive quotes.

Yeah, Sony occurred to me.  The issue is that they are using EnterpriseDB and
not mainstream PostgreSQL ... and thus unlikely to upgrade to PostgreSQL 8.2.
So Sony is fine for other PR stuff but I don't think they're appropriate for
the 8.2 release.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Quotes for release

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Andy,
>
> > I'm would think Sony would be happy to give support. We may be able to get
> > other companies as well. I am copying Christian Danella, president of
> > Prequent - our PR agency - who can coordinate getting supportive quotes.
>
> Yeah, Sony occurred to me.  The issue is that they are using EnterpriseDB and
> not mainstream PostgreSQL ... and thus unlikely to upgrade to PostgreSQL 8.2.
> So Sony is fine for other PR stuff but I don't think they're appropriate for
> the 8.2 release.

Ah, good point.  Sun seems to be the new big player in town, unless they
were in the 8.1 press release.

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce@momjian.us

Re: Quotes for release

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Jim,

> Well, that pretty much rules out Greenplum as well, so unless CMD has
> something hiding up their sleeve... Maybe it'd be good to put a call
> out to -general?

Actually, both Sun and Unisys are in the running right now, so I think
we're OK.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus