Starting the 8.2 release process ...

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

Well, it's that time again.   In the next couple of days, we'll be starting to
draft the 8.2 release.   Here's what needs to be done to draft the release:

THEME:  Bruce has suggested "usability" since this is a bit of a
"consolidation" release, without a lot of big-name features.  I'm not sure
about that but I don't have a counter-suggestion.  Ideas?

QUOTES:  We need at least two quotes, preferably including one about the theme
and one which highlights something cool in 8.2.  I can probably get one from
Sun or a partner.  Suggestions?

FEATURES:  AFAICT, there are only four big-name features worth mentioning in
the release:
    on-disk bitmap indexes
    d-trace / GMF
    stored procedure debugging
    standby databases (new PITR)
Anyone know anything else?   Performance (sort, joins, etc) improvements would
be worth mentioning but *only* if someone can attach a figure to them.

Based on the suggestions on this list, I'll throw a draft onto pgFoundry CVS
and we can take it from there.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Starting the 8.2 release process ...

From
"Jaime Casanova"

> FEATURES:  AFAICT, there are only four big-name features worth mentioning in
> the release:
>        on-disk bitmap indexes
>        d-trace / GMF
>        stored procedure debugging
>        standby databases (new PITR)
> Anyone know anything else?   Performance (sort, joins, etc) improvements would
> be worth mentioning but *only* if someone can attach a figure to them.

updateable view? if the bernd's patch get applied of course...

--
regards,
Jaime Casanova

to produce bigger and better idiots.
So far, the universe is winning."
                                       Richard Cook

Re: Starting the 8.2 release process ...

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 21:59 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Well, it's that time again.   In the next couple of days, we'll be starting to
> draft the 8.2 release.

It might be worth waiting till the set of features that will actually be
in 8.2 is well-defined -- that is, until the patch queue has been
cleared (circa the end of August). For example, updateable views and
bitmap indexes may or may not make it into the release, last I checked.

> FEATURES:  AFAICT, there are only four big-name features worth mentioning in
> the release:
>     on-disk bitmap indexes
>     d-trace / GMF
>     stored procedure debugging
>     standby databases (new PITR)
> Anyone know anything else?   Performance (sort, joins, etc) improvements would
> be worth mentioning but *only* if someone can attach a figure to them.

There's been quite a lot of useful performance work: off the top of my
head, Tom's work on SMP scalability, for example. I'd expect Tom's outer
join query optimization work will help a lot of people. The improvements
to sorting performance are also likely to be significant. I don't have
figures, although we can surely produce some before the release if need
be.

Online index builds will be very useful for some people.

-Neil

Re: Starting the 8.2 release process ...

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> Well, it's that time again.   In the next couple of days, we'll be starting to
> draft the 8.2 release.   Here's what needs to be done to draft the release:
>
> THEME:  Bruce has suggested "usability" since this is a bit of a

How about "polish" or "maturity"?

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Starting the 8.2 release process ...

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Thursday 03 August 2006 01:57, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > Well, it's that time again.   In the next couple of days, we'll be
> > starting to draft the 8.2 release.   Here's what needs to be done to
> > draft the release:
> >
> > THEME:  Bruce has suggested "usability" since this is a bit of a
>
> How about "polish" or "maturity"?

One theme is that this release should make it easier to migrate to postgresql,
by providing syntax similar to that in other databases.  (default updatable
views, multiple single inserts, multiple single update syntax, if exists,
etc...)  of course that list is dependent on what actually gets in :-)

--
Robert Treat

Re: Starting the 8.2 release process ...

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> FEATURES:  AFAICT, there are only four big-name features worth
> mentioning in the release:
>     on-disk bitmap indexes
>     d-trace / GMF
>     stored procedure debugging
>     standby databases (new PITR)
> Anyone know anything else?   Performance (sort, joins, etc)
> improvements would be worth mentioning but *only* if someone can
> attach a figure to them.

Most of these features are still in doubt.  You won't get a useful
feature list before beta.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Starting the 8.2 release process ...

From
Chris Browne
> FEATURES:  AFAICT, there are only four big-name features worth mentioning in
> the release:
>     on-disk bitmap indexes
>     d-trace / GMF
>     stored procedure debugging
>     standby databases (new PITR)
> Anyone know anything else?   Performance (sort, joins, etc) improvements would
> be worth mentioning but *only* if someone can attach a figure to them.

Did the "WITH clause" (recursive queries) make it in?  That might be
worth mentioning.  It probably isn't worth mentioning "multiple tuples
in one INSERT"...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="cbbrowne.com" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/spreadsheets.html

Re: Starting the 8.2 release process ...

From
"Jonah H. Harris"
Date:
On 8/3/06, Chris Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> wrote:
> Did the "WITH clause" (recursive queries) make it in?

Nope, I didn't have time to get that one into a good enough state for
submission.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1300
EnterpriseDB Corporation            | fax: 732.331.1301

Re: Starting the 8.2 release process ...

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
On Thursday 03 August 2006 12:01, Chris Browne wrote:
> Did the "WITH clause" (recursive queries) make it in?  That might be
> worth mentioning.  It probably isn't worth mentioning "multiple tuples
> in one INSERT"...

I've been thinking about that: it would be good for the MySQL community to
know that we would now be supporting multiple tuples in one INSERT.

Date:
Robert Bernier wrote:
> On Thursday 03 August 2006 12:01, Chris Browne wrote:
>> Did the "WITH clause" (recursive queries) make it in?  That might be
>> worth mentioning.  It probably isn't worth mentioning "multiple tuples
>> in one INSERT"...
>
> I've been thinking about that: it would be good for the MySQL community to
> know that we would now be supporting multiple tuples in one INSERT.

Yes it would.

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Starting the 8.2 release process ...

From
Joe Conway
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Robert Bernier wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 03 August 2006 12:01, Chris Browne wrote:
>>
>>> Did the "WITH clause" (recursive queries) make it in?  That might be
>>> worth mentioning.  It probably isn't worth mentioning "multiple tuples
>>> in one INSERT"...
>>
>> I've been thinking about that: it would be good for the MySQL
>> community to know that we would now be supporting multiple tuples in
>> one INSERT.
>
> Yes it would.

Actually I think people will find some interesting uses for the related
"VALUES clause in the FROM clause" capability too.

Joe

Re: Starting the 8.2 release process ...

From
Ron Mayer
Date:
Chris Browne wrote:
> It probably isn't worth mentioning "multiple tuples
> in one INSERT"...

On the other hand if it's worded "Initial support for SQL standard feature  id F641 (row value constructors)",
that is one area where database comparisons ding postgresql today [1].

[1] http://troels.arvin.dk/db/rdbms/#insert-multiple

Re: Starting the 8.2 release process ...

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Neil,

> It might be worth waiting till the set of features that will actually be
> in 8.2 is well-defined -- that is, until the patch queue has been
> cleared (circa the end of August). For example, updateable views and
> bitmap indexes may or may not make it into the release, last I checked.

We can swap out individual features as things are finalized.  The
feature part of the release actually requires less work than some of the
other parts.

Historically, it's taken about a month to compose the release and a
month or more to translate it.  So we can't wait until the beginning of
August to start in case we have a short beta.

> There's been quite a lot of useful performance work: off the top of my
> head, Tom's work on SMP scalability, for example. I'd expect Tom's outer
> join query optimization work will help a lot of people. The improvements
> to sorting performance are also likely to be significant. I don't have
> figures, although we can surely produce some before the release if need
> be.

Yes -- volunteers?   Anyone?   I have some figures from Sun but I'm not
sure I can publish them.

> Online index builds will be very useful for some people.

Oh, right.

--Josh

Re: Starting the 8.2 release process ...

From
"Luke Lonergan"
Date:
+1

on behalf of O'Reilly and other internet companies dumping from MySQL with
intent to load into Postgres.  The most popular mysqldump format emits the
"INSERT INTO foo VALUES (...),(...),(...)..."

- Luke