Re: Starting the 8.2 release process ... - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: Starting the 8.2 release process ...
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 21:59 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Well, it's that time again.   In the next couple of days, we'll be starting to
> draft the 8.2 release.

It might be worth waiting till the set of features that will actually be
in 8.2 is well-defined -- that is, until the patch queue has been
cleared (circa the end of August). For example, updateable views and
bitmap indexes may or may not make it into the release, last I checked.

> FEATURES:  AFAICT, there are only four big-name features worth mentioning in
> the release:
>     on-disk bitmap indexes
>     d-trace / GMF
>     stored procedure debugging
>     standby databases (new PITR)
> Anyone know anything else?   Performance (sort, joins, etc) improvements would
> be worth mentioning but *only* if someone can attach a figure to them.

There's been quite a lot of useful performance work: off the top of my
head, Tom's work on SMP scalability, for example. I'd expect Tom's outer
join query optimization work will help a lot of people. The improvements
to sorting performance are also likely to be significant. I don't have
figures, although we can surely produce some before the release if need
be.

Online index builds will be very useful for some people.

-Neil