Starting the 8.2 release process ... - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Starting the 8.2 release process ...
Date
Re: Starting the 8.2 release process ...  (Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com>)
Re: Starting the 8.2 release process ...  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
Re: Starting the 8.2 release process ...  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-advocacy
All,

Well, it's that time again.   In the next couple of days, we'll be starting to
draft the 8.2 release.   Here's what needs to be done to draft the release:

THEME:  Bruce has suggested "usability" since this is a bit of a
"consolidation" release, without a lot of big-name features.  I'm not sure
about that but I don't have a counter-suggestion.  Ideas?

QUOTES:  We need at least two quotes, preferably including one about the theme
and one which highlights something cool in 8.2.  I can probably get one from
Sun or a partner.  Suggestions?

FEATURES:  AFAICT, there are only four big-name features worth mentioning in
the release:
    on-disk bitmap indexes
    d-trace / GMF
    stored procedure debugging
    standby databases (new PITR)
Anyone know anything else?   Performance (sort, joins, etc) improvements would
be worth mentioning but *only* if someone can attach a figure to them.

Based on the suggestions on this list, I'll throw a draft onto pgFoundry CVS
and we can take it from there.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun