Cafepress, or?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

Now that we have an official place to collect money, and some t-shirt designs,
I wanted to set up something like a CafePress site for PG paraphenalia.

However, I've heard some grumbles about CafePress quality.  Are there real
complaints?  If so, are there alternatives?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Cafepress, or?

From
stefan@net-tex.de
Date:
> Now that we have an official place to collect money, and some t-shirt
designs,
> I wanted to set up something like a CafePress site for PG paraphenalia.

> However, I've heard some grumbles about CafePress quality.  Are there
real
> complaints?  If so, are there alternatives?

CP seems to be very US-centric, so it's hard to get sth. here in EU.

A project I'm involved is switching to Spreadshirt [1]. They are
originally based in Leipzig/Germany, but they have also shops in the US,
Japan and NZ/Aus so it's easy to get shirts from almost all over the
world[2].

We had no problems with the accounting, they offer a wide range of
products and have IMO a very good quality. We have several tricots for our
Judo-Club ordered there, and they are still looking good  ;-)

[1] http://www.spreadshirt.net/
[2]
http://www.spreadshirt.net/index.php?id=67&backPID=66&faq_i18n_cat=14#5

Re: Cafepress, or?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Stefan,

> A project I'm involved is switching to Spreadshirt [1]. They are
> originally based in Leipzig/Germany, but they have also shops in the US,
> Japan and NZ/Aus so it's easy to get shirts from almost all over the
> world[2].

They seem to be very good for Europe, but I can't find options for the US.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Cafepress, or?

From
"Stefan 'Kaishakunin' Schumacher"
Date:
Also sprach Josh Berkus (josh@agliodbs.com)

> > A project I'm involved is switching to Spreadshirt [1]. They are
> > originally based in Leipzig/Germany, but they have also shops in
> > the US,
> > Japan and NZ/Aus so it's easy to get shirts from almost all over
> > the
> > world[2].
>
> They seem to be very good for Europe, but I can't find options for
> the US.

They seem to have some kind of browser redirection based on your
localization. However, they have spreadshirt.net, which seems to be
.co.uk but there is .com. which offers shops for US and CA:

http://www.spreadshirt.com/?lang=us&locale=US
http://www.spreadshirt.com/?lang=us&locale=CA
http://www.spreadshirt.com/?lang=fr&locale=CA

Hope that helps,
Stefan
--
PGP FPR: CF74 D5F2 4871 3E5C FFFE 0130 11F4 C41E B3FB AE33
--

Attachment

Re: Cafepress, or?

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 10:23:48PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Now that we have an official place to collect money, and some t-shirt designs,
> I wanted to set up something like a CafePress site for PG paraphenalia.
>
> However, I've heard some grumbles about CafePress quality.  Are there real
> complaints?  If so, are there alternatives?

I've had issues with cafepress quality. The shirts tend to fade pretty
quickly.

I've got http://lnk.nu/spreadshirt.com/9ul.php and it's held up well.
One issue is there's some glitch where the front graphic shows up wrong
in the detail section (the inside is actually white, not red). Also, the
process used is more like an iron-on, whereas cafepress uses some kind
of screen printing process. The upside is a lot more color options; the
downside is the shirt doesn't breath through the graphic.

There's also http://hackerthreads.com; I'm not sure, but I think that
they might use a regular screen printing process, which would probably
be ideal (at least for shirts).

Re: Cafepress, or?

From
elein
Date:
On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 05:57:00PM -0500, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 10:23:48PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > Now that we have an official place to collect money, and some t-shirt designs,
> > I wanted to set up something like a CafePress site for PG paraphenalia.
> >
> > However, I've heard some grumbles about CafePress quality.  Are there real
> > complaints?  If so, are there alternatives?
>
> I've had issues with cafepress quality. The shirts tend to fade pretty
> quickly.
>
> I've got http://lnk.nu/spreadshirt.com/9ul.php and it's held up well.
> One issue is there's some glitch where the front graphic shows up wrong
> in the detail section (the inside is actually white, not red). Also, the
> process used is more like an iron-on, whereas cafepress uses some kind
> of screen printing process. The upside is a lot more color options; the
> downside is the shirt doesn't breath through the graphic.

Iron-ons also are tacky and get cracked and wrinkled in the wash.  Screen
printing is better.  I have no opinions on cafepress, etc.--just on the
iron-ons.  Ugh!

--elein
elein@varlena.com

> There's also http://hackerthreads.com; I'm not sure, but I think that
> they might use a regular screen printing process, which would probably
> be ideal (at least for shirts).
> --
> Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      jnasby@pervasive.com
> Pervasive Software      http://pervasive.com    work: 512-231-6117
> vcard: http://jim.nasby.net/pervasive.vcf       cell: 512-569-9461

>        match

Re: Cafepress, or?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:

http://www.spreadshirt.com/Print_Quality.5.0.html

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Cafepress, or?

From
Jim Nasby
Date:
On Jun 8, 2006, at 1:06 PM, elein wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 05:57:00PM -0500, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 10:23:48PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> Now that we have an official place to collect money, and some t-
>>> shirt designs,
>>> I wanted to set up something like a CafePress site for PG
>>> paraphenalia.
>>>
>>> However, I've heard some grumbles about CafePress quality.  Are
>>> there real
>>> complaints?  If so, are there alternatives?
>>
>> I've had issues with cafepress quality. The shirts tend to fade
>> pretty
>> quickly.
>>
>> I've got http://lnk.nu/spreadshirt.com/9ul.php and it's held up well.
>> One issue is there's some glitch where the front graphic shows up
>> wrong
>> in the detail section (the inside is actually white, not red).
>> Also, the
>> process used is more like an iron-on, whereas cafepress uses some
>> kind
>> of screen printing process. The upside is a lot more color
>> options; the
>> downside is the shirt doesn't breath through the graphic.
>
> Iron-ons also are tacky and get cracked and wrinkled in the wash.
> Screen
> printing is better.  I have no opinions on cafepress, etc.--just on
> the
> iron-ons.  Ugh!

Well, it's not actually an iron-on. They call it 'flex print',
whatever exactly that means. It's kind-of a step between an iron-on
and screen printing.

If anyone's curious about it, I can bring the shirt to the anniversary.

Re: Cafepress, or?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
elein wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 05:57:00PM -0500, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 10:23:48PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> Now that we have an official place to collect money, and some t-shirt designs,
>>> I wanted to set up something like a CafePress site for PG paraphenalia.
>>>
>>> However, I've heard some grumbles about CafePress quality.  Are there real
>>> complaints?  If so, are there alternatives?
>> I've had issues with cafepress quality. The shirts tend to fade pretty
>> quickly.
>>
>> I've got http://lnk.nu/spreadshirt.com/9ul.php and it's held up well.
>> One issue is there's some glitch where the front graphic shows up wrong
>> in the detail section (the inside is actually white, not red). Also, the
>> process used is more like an iron-on, whereas cafepress uses some kind
>> of screen printing process. The upside is a lot more color options; the
>> downside is the shirt doesn't breath through the graphic.
>
> Iron-ons also are tacky and get cracked and wrinkled in the wash.  Screen
> printing is better.  I have no opinions on cafepress, etc.--just on the
> iron-ons.  Ugh!

I have used cafe press for years. I have never gotten a t-shirt but I
can say that the tote bags and coffee mugs were very good.

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Cafepress, or?

From
Jim Nasby
Date:
On Jun 8, 2006, at 1:50 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> elein wrote:

>>> I've had issues with cafepress quality. The shirts tend to fade
>>> pretty
>>> quickly.
>>>
>>> I've got http://lnk.nu/spreadshirt.com/9ul.php and it's held up
>>> well.
>>> One issue is there's some glitch where the front graphic shows up
>>> wrong
>>> in the detail section (the inside is actually white, not red).
>>> Also, the
>>> process used is more like an iron-on, whereas cafepress uses some
>>> kind
>>> of screen printing process. The upside is a lot more color
>>> options; the
>>> downside is the shirt doesn't breath through the graphic.
>> Iron-ons also are tacky and get cracked and wrinkled in the wash.
>> Screen
>> printing is better.  I have no opinions on cafepress, etc.--just
>> on the
>> iron-ons.  Ugh!
>
> I have used cafe press for years. I have never gotten a t-shirt but
> I can say that the tote bags and coffee mugs were very good.

Yeah, the problem is that the shirts just don't hold up very well in
the wash; they start out looking great, but after 10 washings...

Anyway, I'll bring both shirts to the anniversary so folks can see
for themselves.

Re: Cafepress, or?

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: Cafepress, or?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

I think I'm going to go wth SpreadShirt initially, because CafePress is
pretty much US-only -- which doesn't suit our project.  Of course, it's
quite possible that eventually we'll use both.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Cafepress, or?

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 12:15:42PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> I think I'm going to go wth SpreadShirt initially, because CafePress is
> pretty much US-only -- which doesn't suit our project.  Of course, it's
> quite possible that eventually we'll use both.

You might want to get samples of both printing processes before
launching to the public to see what each one is like.