T-shirt help wanted

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

I need some help with the t-shirts for the Anniversary. If you can do this,
I'll send you a free t-shirt when they're done.

What follows is a list of years and PostgreSQL releases. What we want to
add is one to two words to characterized what we did that year/release:
the coolest feature, the most important design change, etc.     The person
whose list I accept gets the t-shirt.

1996: 1.0
1997: 6.0, 6.1, 6.2
1998: 6.3, 6.4
1999: 6.5
2000: 7.0
2001: 7.1
2002: 7.2, 7.3
2003: 7.4
2005: 8.0, 8.1
2006: 8.2

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Walter,

> 1996: 1.0             ~*
> 1997: 6.0, 6.1, 6.2   UNIQUE INDEX
> 1998: 6.3, 6.4        Subqueries
> 1999: 6.5             MVCC
> 2000: 7.0             Foreign Keys
> 2001: 7.1             WAL (or OUTER JOINS ?)
> 2002: 7.2, 7.3        Schemas
> 2003: 7.4             Performance Improvement
> 2005: 8.0, 8.1        Tablespaces
> 2006: 8.2

Ok, good, you win.   E-mail me (privately) your snail-mail address and
size; you can expect a t-shirt in August.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Walter,
>
>> 1996: 1.0             ~*
>> 1997: 6.0, 6.1, 6.2   UNIQUE INDEX
>> 1998: 6.3, 6.4        Subqueries
>> 1999: 6.5             MVCC
>> 2000: 7.0             Foreign Keys
>> 2001: 7.1             WAL (or OUTER JOINS ?)
>> 2002: 7.2, 7.3        Schemas
>> 2003: 7.4             Performance Improvement
>> 2005: 8.0, 8.1        Tablespaces
>> 2006: 8.2
>
> Ok, good, you win.   E-mail me (privately) your snail-mail address and
> size; you can expect a t-shirt in August.

I think this is great EXCEPT:

1.0 - Managed to release something
7.1 - Removal of 8k limit
8.1 - PITR, Two Phase Commit?
8.2 - Bitmap indexes, recursive queries?

I am not trying to win a shirt just though those two are important.

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> > 1996: 1.0             ~*
> > 1997: 6.0, 6.1, 6.2   UNIQUE INDEX
> > 1998: 6.3, 6.4        Subqueries
> > 1999: 6.5             MVCC
> > 2000: 7.0             Foreign Keys
> > 2001: 7.1             WAL (or OUTER JOINS ?)
> > 2002: 7.2, 7.3        Schemas
> > 2003: 7.4             Performance Improvement
> > 2005: 8.0, 8.1        Tablespaces
> > 2006: 8.2
>
> Ok, good, you win.   E-mail me (privately) your snail-mail address
> and size; you can expect a t-shirt in August.

I don't want to spoil the fun, but we don't really want to put that on a
T-shirt, do we?  "2003 -- Performance Improvements"?  Wow.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>>>1996: 1.0             ~*
>>>1997: 6.0, 6.1, 6.2   UNIQUE INDEX
>>>1998: 6.3, 6.4        Subqueries
>>>1999: 6.5             MVCC
>>>2000: 7.0             Foreign Keys
>>>2001: 7.1             WAL (or OUTER JOINS ?)
>>>2002: 7.2, 7.3        Schemas
>>>2003: 7.4             Performance Improvement
>>>2005: 8.0, 8.1        Tablespaces
>>>2006: 8.2
>>
>>Ok, good, you win.   E-mail me (privately) your snail-mail address
>>and size; you can expect a t-shirt in August.
>

> I don't want to spoil the fun, but we don't really want to put that on a
> T-shirt, do we?  "2003 -- Performance Improvements"?  Wow.

I'd like "reaching mediocre performance" even better :-)

Regards,
Andreas

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
"Larry Rosenman"
Date:
Andreas Pflug wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>>> Ok, good, you win.   E-mail me (privately) your snail-mail address
>>> and size; you can expect a t-shirt in August.
>>

>> I don't want to spoil the fun, but we don't really want to put that
>> on a T-shirt, do we?  "2003 -- Performance Improvements"?  Wow.
>
> I'd like "reaching mediocre performance" even better :-)
wasn't 8.0 also 8.0 because of the "Native Windows" port?

LER

--
Larry Rosenman
Database Support Engineer

PERVASIVE SOFTWARE. INC.
12365B RIATA TRACE PKWY
3015
AUSTIN TX  78727-6531

Tel: 512.231.6173
Fax: 512.231.6597
Email: Larry.Rosenman@pervasive.com
Web: www.pervasive.com

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Jussi,

> Just an idea, how many people are currently working on postgresql
> community? How much would it cost to get t-shirts to all of them? (If
> this is really big, then it probably is not possible for Bonware, but I
> still would like it to happen...)

Well, I'd planned to buy an extra stock of t-shirts to give to conference
volunteers for the rest of the year.   I find that they're a good
incentive to do booth duty.

Also, while the t-shirts only cost $7 apiece, the cost of shipping would be
prohibitive.

If Bonware wants to sponsor the 2nd printing of t-shirts so that we can
send them out to all of our conferences, I imagine we can work something
out.  Or you can just donate to SPI.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> 1996: 1.0             ~*
>>> 1997: 6.0, 6.1, 6.2   UNIQUE INDEX
>>> 1998: 6.3, 6.4        Subqueries
>>> 1999: 6.5             MVCC
>>> 2000: 7.0             Foreign Keys
>>> 2001: 7.1             WAL (or OUTER JOINS ?)
>>> 2002: 7.2, 7.3        Schemas
>>> 2003: 7.4             Performance Improvement
>>> 2005: 8.0, 8.1        Tablespaces
>>> 2006: 8.2
>> Ok, good, you win.   E-mail me (privately) your snail-mail address
>> and size; you can expect a t-shirt in August.
>
> I don't want to spoil the fun, but we don't really want to put that on a
> T-shirt, do we?  "2003 -- Performance Improvements"?  Wow.

How about:

2003: 7.4     Auto Vacuum

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 12:21:13AM -0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> 7.3 Schemas, prepared statements, \timing :)
>
> 7.4 IPv6, information schema, v3 protocol
>
> 8.0 Win32, savepoints, PITR, tablespaces

How could you forget dollar quoting?!?

> 8.1 shared row locking, roles, IN/OUT params, 2PC, bitmap scan,
> autovacuum, min/max
>
> 8.2 First custom t-shirts

I'd write this as:

8.2 Budget

;)

phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:
On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 00:21 +0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> 8.2 First custom t-shirts

lol :)

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: T-shirt help wanted

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> >

> > 7.3 Schemas, prepared statements, \timing :)
> >
> > 7.4 IPv6, information schema, v3 protocol
> >
> > 8.0 Win32, savepoints, PITR, tablespaces
> >
> > 8.1 shared row locking, roles, IN/OUT params, 2PC, bitmap scan, autovacuum, min/max
> >
> > 8.2 First custom t-shirts
> >

> 8.0
> http://www.commandprompt.com/images/mammoth_versus_dolphin_500.jpg

Oh, I was looking for this recently.  Why doesn't a Google image search
for "mammoth dolphin" pull up this image on the first page.  It does
have a link as the first hit, but the link is dead.

--
  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
>>>

>>> 7.3 Schemas, prepared statements, \timing :)
>>>
>>> 7.4 IPv6, information schema, v3 protocol
>>>
>>> 8.0 Win32, savepoints, PITR, tablespaces
>>>
>>> 8.1 shared row locking, roles, IN/OUT params, 2PC, bitmap scan, autovacuum, min/max
>>>
>>> 8.2 First custom t-shirts
>>>
>> 8.0
>> http://www.commandprompt.com/images/mammoth_versus_dolphin_500.jpg
>
> Oh, I was looking for this recently.  Why doesn't a Google image search
> for "mammoth dolphin" pull up this image on the first page.  It does
> have a link as the first hit, but the link is dead.

Well that first link (oddly) is where someone downloaded it... we don't
have the graphic anywhere on the web... well now we do because google
will index this email in about 4 hours ;)

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: T-shirt help wanted

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >> 8.0
> >> http://www.commandprompt.com/images/mammoth_versus_dolphin_500.jpg
> >
> > Oh, I was looking for this recently.  Why doesn't a Google image search
> > for "mammoth dolphin" pull up this image on the first page.  It does
> > have a link as the first hit, but the link is dead.
>
> Well that first link (oddly) is where someone downloaded it... we don't
> have the graphic anywhere on the web... well now we do because google
> will index this email in about 4 hours ;)

Ah, so it wasn't there before.  That makes sense why I couldn't find it.
When you mentioned the campfire a week ago I wanted to show the link so
people would understand your reference, but couldn't find the image at
that time.

--

Date:
> Ah, so it wasn't there before.  That makes sense why I couldn't find it.
> When you mentioned the campfire a week ago I wanted to show the link so
> people would understand your reference, but couldn't find the image at
> that time.

I meant we don't have it anywhere indexed or linked which is why Google
didn't find it :) In the future you can just ??mammoth on IRC :)

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
Lars Haugseth
Date:
* jd@commandprompt.com ("Joshua D. Drake") wrote:

| 8.0
| http://www.commandprompt.com/images/mammoth_versus_dolphin_500.jpg

I assume this will be printed on the front of the T-shirt, with the
text going on the back?

--
Lars Haugseth

"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to
 retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said it." -Tom Lehrer

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
"Walter Cruz"
Date:
Hi all.. I know that I left some important things from my list, but I was following the instruction: "What we want to add is one to two words". I read the release notes, and sometimes is really hard to define the version in one to two words :)

On 5/24/06, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Walter,
>
>> 1996: 1.0             ~*
>> 1997: 6.0, 6.1, 6.2   UNIQUE INDEX
>> 1998: 6.3, 6.4        Subqueries
>> 1999: 6.5             MVCC
>> 2000: 7.0             Foreign Keys
>> 2001: 7.1             WAL (or OUTER JOINS ?)
>> 2002: 7.2, 7.3        Schemas
>> 2003: 7.4             Performance Improvement
>> 2005: 8.0, 8.1        Tablespaces
>> 2006: 8.2
>
> Ok, good, you win.   E-mail me (privately) your snail-mail address and
> size; you can expect a t-shirt in August.

I think this is great EXCEPT:

1.0 - Managed to release something
7.1 - Removal of 8k limit
8.1 - PITR, Two Phase Commit?
8.2 - Bitmap indexes, recursive queries?

I am not trying to win a shirt just though those two are important.

Joshua D. Drake

    Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997
               http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Walter Cruz wrote:

> On 5/24/06, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> >
> >Josh Berkus wrote:
> >> Walter,

IMHO this should really be "PGDG".

"Savepoints" of course ;-)

(Or we could use "SLRU", which is the name of the crucial subsystem for
both savepoints and shared row locks)

Re: T-shirt help wanted

Date:
One cool thing I have on a BSD shirt is a kernel boot message.  Should
we add a PostgreSQL boot message to the shirts somewhere?

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Walter Cruz wrote:

> IMHO this should really be "PGDG".

> "Savepoints" of course ;-)
>
> (Or we could use "SLRU", which is the name of the crucial subsystem for
> both savepoints and shared row locks)

> --
> Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/

  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 09:46:17AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> One cool thing I have on a BSD shirt is a kernel boot message.  Should
> we add a PostgreSQL boot message to the shirts somewhere?

So something like this:

       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help with psql commands
       \q to quit
       \pgdg to Take Over The World!

?

Hmm.  Maybe triumphalism isn't our strongest card, eh?

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The plural of anecdote is not data.
        --Roger Brinner

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Walter Cruz wrote:
> Hi all.. I know that I left some important things from my list, but I
> was following the instruction: "What we want to add is one to two
> words". I read the release notes, and sometimes is really hard to define
> the version in one to two words :)

I don't think anyone is complaining as much as getting inspired :)

> On 5/24/06, *Joshua D. Drake* <jd@commandprompt.com
> <mailto:jd@commandprompt.com>> wrote:
>
>     Josh Berkus wrote:
>      > Walter,
>      >
>      >> 1996: 1.0             ~*
>      >> 1997: 6.0, 6.1, 6.2   UNIQUE INDEX
>      >> 1998: 6.3, 6.4        Subqueries
>      >> 1999: 6.5             MVCC
>      >> 2000: 7.0             Foreign Keys
>      >> 2001: 7.1             WAL (or OUTER JOINS ?)
>      >> 2002: 7.2, 7.3        Schemas
>      >> 2003: 7.4             Performance Improvement
>      >> 2005: 8.0, 8.1        Tablespaces
>      >> 2006: 8.2
>      >
>      > Ok, good, you win.   E-mail me (privately) your snail-mail
>     address and
>      > size; you can expect a t-shirt in August.
>      >
>      >

>     I think this is great EXCEPT:
>
>     1.0 - Managed to release something
>     7.1 - Removal of 8k limit
>     8.1 - PITR, Two Phase Commit?
>     8.2 - Bitmap indexes, recursive queries?
>
>     I am not trying to win a shirt just though those two are important.
>
>     Joshua D. Drake
>
>     --
>
>         === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===
>     Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
>         Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997
>                    http://www.commandprompt.com/

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
"Walter Cruz"
Date:
Hahaha.. There's exists that image a la 1024 x 768? to my Desktop :)

[]'s
- walter

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
"Gavin M. Roy"
Date:
No it will not.

On May 25, 2006, at 6:55 AM, Lars Haugseth wrote:

> * jd@commandprompt.com ("Joshua D. Drake") wrote:
> |
> | 8.0
> | http://www.commandprompt.com/images/mammoth_versus_dolphin_500.jpg
>
> I assume this will be printed on the front of the T-shirt, with the
> text going on the back?
>
> --
> Lars Haugseth
>
> "If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not
> only to
>  retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said it." -Tom
> Lehrer
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Gavin M. Roy wrote:
> No it will not.

That was fairly definitive... your not secretly harboring dolphins are you?

Joshua D. Drake

> On May 25, 2006, at 6:55 AM, Lars Haugseth wrote:
>

>> * jd@commandprompt.com ("Joshua D. Drake") wrote:
>> |
>> | 8.0
>> | http://www.commandprompt.com/images/mammoth_versus_dolphin_500.jpg
>>
>> I assume this will be printed on the front of the T-shirt, with the
>> text going on the back?
>>
>> -- Lars Haugseth
>>
>> "If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to
>>  retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said it." -Tom
>> Lehrer

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
"Gavin M. Roy"
Date:
Heh, no, I just know there's at least one person working on a graphic
design for said T-Shirt :-)

Gavin

On May 25, 2006, at 9:19 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Gavin M. Roy wrote:
>> No it will not.
>
> That was fairly definitive... your not secretly harboring dolphins
> are you?
>
> Joshua D. Drake

>>> I assume this will be printed on the front of the T-shirt, with the
>>> text going on the back?
>>>
>>> -- Lars Haugseth
>>>
>>> "If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not
>>> only to
>>>  retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said it." -
>>> Tom Lehrer

>    === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===
> Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
>    Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997
>              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
Josh Berkus
ALL:

> I assume this will be printed on the front of the T-shirt, with the
> text going on the back?

The Command Prompt graphic will not be appearing on any t-shirt paid for
by the PostgreSQL Fund or at the PostgreSQL Anniversary.  Period.

--Josh

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> ALL:
>
>> I assume this will be printed on the front of the T-shirt, with the
>> text going on the back?
>>

> The Command Prompt graphic will not be appearing on any t-shirt paid for
> by the PostgreSQL Fund or at the PostgreSQL Anniversary.  Period.

JoshB I don't think that anyone seriously considered the graphic. Relax.
Certainly we didn't.

Joshua D. Drake

> --Josh

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> JoshB I don't think that anyone seriously considered the graphic. Relax.
> Certainly we didn't.

*you* didn't, but I saw a rumor starting and wanted to nip it in the bud.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
Lars Haugseth
Date:
* josh@agliodbs.com (Josh Berkus) wrote:

| Josh,
|
| > JoshB I don't think that anyone seriously considered the graphic. Relax.
| > Certainly we didn't.
|
| *you* didn't, but I saw a rumor starting and wanted to nip it in the bud.

It was humorously meant, but I forgot the smiley and I see that it
could have been misconstrued. My apologies.

--
Lars Haugseth

"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to
 retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said it." -Tom Lehrer

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
Jim Nasby
Date:
On May 24, 2006, at 8:16 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> 8.0
>> http://www.commandprompt.com/images/mammoth_versus_dolphin_500.jpg
>
> Oh, I was looking for this recently.  Why doesn't a Google image
> search
> for "mammoth dolphin" pull up this image on the first page.  It does

Probably because they use MySQL... :>
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                decibel@decibel.org

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
Jim Nasby
Date:
On May 25, 2006, at 9:20 AM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 09:46:17AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>
>> One cool thing I have on a BSD shirt is a kernel boot message.
>> Should
>> we add a PostgreSQL boot message to the shirts somewhere?
>
> So something like this:
>
> Welcome to psql 8.1.4, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.
>
> Type:  \copyright for distribution terms
>        \h for help with SQL commands
>        \? for help with psql commands
>        \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query
>        \q to quit
>        \pgdg to Take Over The World!

I was thinking more like:
LOG:  database system was shut down at 2006-05-25 15:25:15 CDT
LOG:  checkpoint record is at 0/1ADD45A4
LOG:  redo record is at 0/1ADD45A4; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
LOG:  next transaction ID: 82102; next OID: 1712146
LOG:  next MultiXactId: 1; next MultiXactOffset: 0
LOG:  database system is ready
LOG:  transaction ID wrap limit is 1073752763, limited by database
"postgres"

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
Jim Nasby
Date:
On May 25, 2006, at 7:55 PM, Lars Haugseth wrote:
> * josh@agliodbs.com (Josh Berkus) wrote:
> |
> | Josh,
> |
> | > JoshB I don't think that anyone seriously considered the
> graphic. Relax.
> | > Certainly we didn't.
> |
> | *you* didn't, but I saw a rumor starting and wanted to nip it in
> the bud.
>
> It was humorously meant, but I forgot the smiley and I see that it
> could have been misconstrued. My apologies.

Don't let it happen again or next time it'll be you on the spit! ;P

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
> Type:  \copyright for distribution terms
>        \h for help with SQL commands
>        \? for help with psql commands
>        \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query
>        \q to quit
>        \pgdg to Take Over The World!
>
> ?
>
> Hmm.  Maybe triumphalism isn't our strongest card, eh?

Just have a big damn elephant on the T-Shirts :)

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
>> Hmm.  Maybe triumphalism isn't our strongest card, eh?
>

> Just have a big damn elephant on the T-Shirts :)

I think what Christopher is saying here is:

Keep It Simple Stupid! ;)

Otherwise known as the KISS principle.

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
Thomas Hallgren
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>>> Hmm.  Maybe triumphalism isn't our strongest card, eh?
>>

>> Just have a big damn elephant on the T-Shirts :)
>
> I think what Christopher is saying here is:
>
> Keep It Simple Stupid! ;)
>
> Otherwise known as the KISS principle.

Two elephants then! Kissing... ;)

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
Michael Dean
Date:
Thomas Hallgren wrote:

>>> Just have a big damn elephant on the T-Shirts :)
>>

> How about a small elephant in upper right (heart side) with a simple
> one-liner such as:

Postgresql -- the good business database

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
On Sunday 28 May 2006 17:11, Michael Dean wrote:
> Thomas Hallgren wrote:
> > How about a small elephant in upper right (heart side) with a simple
> > one-liner such as:
>
> Postgresql -- the good business database

or ...

PostgreSQL; for those who love their data

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
"Dawid Kuroczko"
Date:
On 5/29/06, Robert Bernier <robert.bernier5@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> On Sunday 28 May 2006 17:11, Michael Dean wrote:
> > Thomas Hallgren wrote:
> > > How about a small elephant in upper right (heart side) with a simple
> > > one-liner such as:
> >
> > Postgresql -- the good business database
> or ...
> PostgreSQL; for those who love their data

PostgreSQL: Elephants don't forget.

Regards,
    Dawid

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
"Dawid Kuroczko"
Date:
On 5/29/06, Dawid Kuroczko <qnex42@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/29/06, Robert Bernier <robert.bernier5@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> > On Sunday 28 May 2006 17:11, Michael Dean wrote:
> > > Postgresql -- the good business database

PostgreSQL makes business data safe.

> > or ...
> > PostgreSQL; for those who love their data
> PostgreSQL: Elephants don't forget.

...or Elephants remember forever.

  Regards,
      Dawid

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
"Stefan 'Kaishakunin' Schumacher"
Date:
Also sprach Michael Dean (mdean@sourceview.com)

> >How about a small elephant in upper right (heart side) with a simple
> >one-liner such as:
>
> Postgresql -- the good business database

PostgreSQL - Don't oracle how your data is

For the Design: "[www.]PostgreSQL.org" should be in readable size on front and
back of the Shirt. Having only the Elephant would be some kind of
insider joke.

--
PGP FPR: CF74 D5F2 4871 3E5C FFFE 0130 11F4 C41E B3FB AE33
--

Attachment

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Dawid Kuroczko wrote:
> > PostgreSQL; for those who love their data

I like that, because it can be interpreted in so many ways.

> PostgreSQL: Elephants don't forget.

"An elephant never forgets" has been used a project slogan before, so
that works as well.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

I don't want to offend anyone, but I'm not taking suggestions for the
t-shirt design (except in the narrow context for which I requested help).
I have neither the bandwidth, nor the time, to develop a consensus on
design, slogan, etc. (such discussions generally involve about a month and
150+ e-mails).    The t-shirt is being designed by Aurynn, and approved by
the conference committee with a minimum of fuss.

Sorry, I know it's not how we usually do things but I'm stretched a little
thin on planning this conference.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Predator -- WAS --> Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
"codeWarrior"
Date:
The elephant looks a lot like the alien in Arnold's movie "Predator"....
Maybe the dolphin should be skinned and hanging from a tree....

Date:
On May 30, 2006, at 1:32 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> I don't want to offend anyone, but I'm not taking suggestions for the
> t-shirt design (except in the narrow context for which I requested
> help).
> I have neither the bandwidth, nor the time, to develop a consensus on
> design, slogan, etc. (such discussions generally involve about a
> month and
> 150+ e-mails).    The t-shirt is being designed by Aurynn, and
> approved by
> the conference committee with a minimum of fuss.
>
> Sorry, I know it's not how we usually do things but I'm stretched a
> little
> thin on planning this conference.

Has anyone looked at setting up a shop somewhere like cafepress? It
would allow people to show their 'database colors' and make some
money for the foundation at the same time. It looks like there's
plenty of creative interest here, if some people want to run with
some designs...

Re: T-shirt help wanted

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 11:32:36AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Sorry, I know it's not how we usually do things but I'm stretched a little
> thin on planning this conference.

As are the rest of us.  Sorry if I caused confusion; mine was a joke.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The fact that technology doesn't work is no bar to success in the marketplace.
        --Philip Greenspun