Oracle & PostgreSQL DBAs wanted ....

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

... for interview.  I'd like someone, or several someones, who are
currently running both Oracle and PostgreSQL in production and can do a
compare/contrast.   With good things to say about PG, of course.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Oracle & PostgreSQL DBAs wanted ....

From
"Jonah H. Harris"
Date:
On 4/11/06, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> ... for interview.  I'd like someone, or several someones, who are
> currently running both Oracle and PostgreSQL in production and can do a
> compare/contrast.   With good things to say about PG, of course.

Yo... I've been an Oracle DBA/developer/consultant for a long time
now.  I'd be glad to answer some questions fer ya.  Things I like
better about PostgreSQL vs. Oracle and vice-versa.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Database Internals Architect
EnterpriseDB Corporation

Re: Oracle & PostgreSQL DBAs wanted ....

From
"Andy Astor"
Date:
We can probably set you up with Sony Online Entertainment. Who is the
interviewer or the audience?

broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Oracle & PostgreSQL DBAs wanted ....

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
Hehe.  World of Warcraft goes down for 8 hours every week for
"maintenance".  I always wonder if they're running 'VACUUM FULL' :D

(Yes I know it's not Sony)

Chris

Andy Astor wrote:
> We can probably set you up with Sony Online Entertainment. Who is the
> interviewer or the audience?

Christopher Kings-Lynne

Technical Manager
CalorieKing
Tel: +618.9389.8777
Fax: +618.9389.8444
chris.kings-lynne@calorieking.com
www.calorieking.com

Re: Oracle & PostgreSQL DBAs wanted ....

From
"Harald Armin Massa"
Date:
Josh,

I do part of DBA jobs with Oracle and PG. And since 6 years I develop in parallel applicatiosn using PG and Oracle --- 50% of them use both databases and even "connect" them.

If I can be of use, let me know,

Harald

... for interview.  I'd like someone, or several someones, who are
currently running both Oracle and PostgreSQL in production and can do a
compare/contrast.   With good things to say about PG, of course.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare

Re: Oracle & PostgreSQL DBAs wanted ....

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Tuesday 11 April 2006 23:50, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> Hehe.  World of Warcraft goes down for 8 hours every week for
> "maintenance".  I always wonder if they're running 'VACUUM FULL' :D

It must be hard to squeeze in work, girlfriend, sleep and open source in just
8 hours... no wonder I have more ppa patches in than you ;-)

--
Robert Treat

Re: Oracle & PostgreSQL DBAs wanted ....

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 07:24 -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 April 2006 23:50, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > Hehe.  World of Warcraft goes down for 8 hours every week for
> > "maintenance".  I always wonder if they're running 'VACUUM FULL' :D
> >

> It must be hard to squeeze in work, girlfriend, sleep and open source in just
> 8 hours... no wonder I have more ppa patches in than you ;-)

Well based on the timeline you propsed, I doubt girlfriend exists
anymore... I find that those things take a great deal more time (well in
my case wife) then anything I do.

Not that I am complaining.

Joshua D. Drake

                     http://www.commandprompt.com/

Date:
 Wed, 2006-04-12 at 10:30, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 07:24 -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> > On Tuesday 11 April 2006 23:50, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > > Hehe.  World of Warcraft goes down for 8 hours every week for
> > > "maintenance".  I always wonder if they're running 'VACUUM FULL' :D
> > >

> > It must be hard to squeeze in work, girlfriend, sleep and open source in just
> > 8 hours... no wonder I have more ppa patches in than you ;-)
>
> Well based on the timeline you propsed, I doubt girlfriend exists
> anymore... I find that those things take a great deal more time (well in
> my case wife) then anything I do.

That's the beauty of WoW, you can keep a girlfriend if you can get her
hooked on it.

Robert Treat

Re: Oracle & PostgreSQL DBAs wanted ....

From
Jim Nasby
Date:
On Apr 11, 2006, at 10:50 PM, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> Hehe.  World of Warcraft goes down for 8 hours every week for
> "maintenance".  I always wonder if they're running 'VACUUM FULL' :D

Do they run PostgreSQL? Blizzard was actually founded by two
fraternity brothers...