Sun-Oracle lovefest: PostGreNeverMind

From
Ned Lilly
Date:
http://news.com.com/2100-1012-6025568.html

"The bigger the machine, the cooler this gets," Sun CEO Scott McNealy said at a Sun-Oracle employee town hall meeting
atOracle headquarters where the deal was announced. "We're going to effectively give you the Oracle database for free
witha year of support with our new pricing model."

Re: Sun-Oracle lovefest: PostGreNeverMind

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Ned Lilly wrote:

> http://news.com.com/2100-1012-6025568.html
>
> "The bigger the machine, the cooler this gets," Sun CEO Scott McNealy
> said at a Sun-Oracle employee town hall meeting at Oracle headquarters
> where the deal was announced. "We're going to effectively give you the
> Oracle database for free with a year of support with our new pricing
> model."

I don't read it as PostGreNeverMind. I read it as Oracle has more
mindshare, marketshare and more money then PostgreSQL so it makes darn
good business
sense to have a partnership with Oracle as well.

Sun is going to go where the money is. There is not a ton of money in
PostgreSQL or MySQL (although a heck of a lot more in MySQL).

Joshua D. Drake

Co-Authors: PLphp, PLperl - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Sun-Oracle lovefest: PostGreNeverMind

From
"Lance Obermeyer"
Date:
The free Oracle deal is limited to their high end Sparc servers, which (according to the article) are losing market
share. It is not offered for their Opteron servers, which seem to be gaining share due to superior design.  I think
theseare mostly different markets.  Oracle on the proprietary architecture servers, PostgreSQL on the commodity
architectureservers.  Seems a reasonable strategy to me.

> "The bigger the machine, the cooler this gets," Sun CEO Scott McNealy
> said at a Sun-Oracle employee town hall meeting at Oracle headquarters
> where the deal was announced. "We're going to effectively give you the
> Oracle database for free with a year of support with our new pricing
> model."

I don't read it as PostGreNeverMind. I read it as Oracle has more
mindshare, marketshare and more money then PostgreSQL so it makes darn
good business
sense to have a partnership with Oracle as well.

Sun is going to go where the money is. There is not a ton of money in
PostgreSQL or MySQL (although a heck of a lot more in MySQL).

Joshua D. Drake

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Co-Authors: PLphp, PLperl - http://www.commandprompt.com/

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Sun-Oracle lovefest: PostGreNeverMind

From
Ned Lilly
Date:
Agreed, and I guess I should have included a winky face to show the teasing tone I intended.  But it does underscore
thebasic point that the longtime symbiosis between Oracle and Sun is still alive and well, and PostgreSQL community
memberswho are hoping for huge contributions or corporate support from Sun might want to temper their expectations a
bit.

Cheers,
Ned

Lance Obermeyer wrote:
> The free Oracle deal is limited to their high end Sparc servers, which (according to the article) are losing market
share. It is not offered for their Opteron servers, which seem to be gaining share due to superior design.  I think
theseare mostly different markets.  Oracle on the proprietary architecture servers, PostgreSQL on the commodity
architectureservers.  Seems a reasonable strategy to me.

"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
I don't know if it's still the case, but a few years ago an IBM hardware
salesman I knew made many deals to get people running Oracle off of Sun
hardware and onto an RS/6000. It was a very easy sell, because (at least
for Oracle workloads) an equivalent RS/6000 machine would have half the
CPUs of the Sparc machine. When you factored in the amount of money
saved in Oracle licensing, the new IBM hardware paid for itself in 12
months.

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 10:09:02AM -0600, Lance Obermeyer wrote:
> The free Oracle deal is limited to their high end Sparc servers, which (according to the article) are losing market
share. It is not offered for their Opteron servers, which seem to be gaining share due to superior design.  I think
theseare mostly different markets.  Oracle on the proprietary architecture servers, PostgreSQL on the commodity
architectureservers.  Seems a reasonable strategy to me.

"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Ned Lilly wrote:

> Agreed, and I guess I should have included a winky face to show the
> teasing tone I intended.  But it does underscore the basic point that
> the longtime symbiosis between Oracle and Sun is still alive and well,
> and PostgreSQL community members who are hoping for huge contributions
> or corporate support from Sun might want to temper their expectations a
> bit.

they are doing not much different then all the other hardware companies
out there, I dont'think ... 'hedging their bets', I believe is the right
expression?  They want all the market share, not *just* the PostgreSQL
servers, or *just* the Oracle ones ... they want it all ...

Personally, but providing their clients choices in direction that way,
they are at least opening the door to their clients to choose other then
Oracle ... "if you go with PostgreSQL, we won't leave you dangling", which
tends to provide alot to an OSS project IMHO ...

----

Re: Sun-Oracle lovefest: PostGreNeverMind

From
Chris Browne
Date:
LObermey@pervasive.com ("Lance Obermeyer") writes:
> The free Oracle deal is limited to their high end Sparc servers,
> which (according to the article) are losing market share.  It is not
> offered for their Opteron servers, which seem to be gaining share
> due to superior design.  I think these are mostly different markets.
> Oracle on the proprietary architecture servers, PostgreSQL on the
> commodity architecture servers.  Seems a reasonable strategy to me.

It's hard to tell exactly what's what there; doubtless the high end
SPARC hardware is losing market share; on the other hand, Sun has only
just released the "exciting new" Niagara hardware, which is exactly
the sort of "hugely-multicore" hardware that fits into what the
article is talking about.

It seems to me that if Sun falls into being an Opteron vendor, they're
dead, because that puts them into a "commodity" market competing with
HP, Celestica, IBM, and such for sales of low end hardware that they
can't get good markup on.

Where PostgreSQL fits, in that, is enormously ambiguous :-).

This certainly seems to fit into the "Let's Make A Deal" category; if
someone has an interesting deal that might sell some Sun hardware, Sun
is unlikely to cast them from the door...
--
output = reverse("moc.enworbbc" "@" "enworbbc")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/lsf.html

Re: Sun-Oracle lovefest: PostGreNeverMind

From
"codeWarrior"
Date:
Cut the knee-jerk reactions please...

We are talking at the VERY high-end of things here and ONLY for Companies
that have no problem spending millions on their IT hardware anyway... I dont
view this as a "threat" to postgreSQL...

This is a strategic alliance by Sun specifically to sell multi-processing
servers....  Quoting directly from the article...

"...Because Oracle license fees correspond to the number of processors a
server has, Sun's subsidy can be significant on machines such as the E25K,
which has as many as 72 dual-core processors. Singer said the Oracle license
fee for such as system is $850,000..."

On top of that... there is another paragraph that reads...

"...The partnership is far from exclusive, however. Sun still includes other
database software, including the open-source Derby, MySQL and PostgreSQL
packages. "There's lots of choice," McNealy said..."

"Ned Lilly" <ned@nedscape.com> wrote in message
> http://news.com.com/2100-1012-6025568.html
>
> "The bigger the machine, the cooler this gets," Sun CEO Scott McNealy said
> at a Sun-Oracle employee town hall meeting at Oracle headquarters where
> the deal was announced. "We're going to effectively give you the Oracle
> database for free with a year of support with our new pricing model."

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

UNSUBSCRIBE

From
Rodrigo Padula de Oliveira
Date:

Re: Sun-Oracle lovefest: PostGreNeverMind

From
Ron Mayer
Date:
More cynically, what this means to me is that if I want
a closer relationship with Oracle I should announce
PostgreSQL support in my products.

I can imagine the conversation going like this:

Larry:   Oooh, Linux has lots of buzz, let's use that.
Scott:   Hey, Larry, I thought we were best buddies.
Larry:   Yeah, but OS's are commodity '70s technology         and free implementations are just about as good
asthe expensive ones - so we don't need you.
Scott:   Hmm aren't databases are commodity '70s         technology too?
Sun Eng: Yes, Scott; and PostgreSQL is just about         as good as the expensive ones.
Scott:   Hey Larry, guess what I found!!!
Larry:   Scott, we miss you, please come back.

But the good news is that even if their PostgreSQL
work was in part a message to Oracle that Sun has
competitive alternatives at least for some
applications - the good news is that PostgreSQL is
indeed such a competitive alternative.