Re: Sun-Oracle lovefest: PostGreNeverMind - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Sun-Oracle lovefest: PostGreNeverMind
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Ned Lilly wrote:

> Agreed, and I guess I should have included a winky face to show the
> teasing tone I intended.  But it does underscore the basic point that
> the longtime symbiosis between Oracle and Sun is still alive and well,
> and PostgreSQL community members who are hoping for huge contributions
> or corporate support from Sun might want to temper their expectations a
> bit.

they are doing not much different then all the other hardware companies
out there, I dont'think ... 'hedging their bets', I believe is the right
expression?  They want all the market share, not *just* the PostgreSQL
servers, or *just* the Oracle ones ... they want it all ...

Personally, but providing their clients choices in direction that way,
they are at least opening the door to their clients to choose other then
Oracle ... "if you go with PostgreSQL, we won't leave you dangling", which
tends to provide alot to an OSS project IMHO ...

----