Re: Sun-Oracle lovefest: PostGreNeverMind - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: Sun-Oracle lovefest: PostGreNeverMind
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
I don't know if it's still the case, but a few years ago an IBM hardware
salesman I knew made many deals to get people running Oracle off of Sun
hardware and onto an RS/6000. It was a very easy sell, because (at least
for Oracle workloads) an equivalent RS/6000 machine would have half the
CPUs of the Sparc machine. When you factored in the amount of money
saved in Oracle licensing, the new IBM hardware paid for itself in 12
months.

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 10:09:02AM -0600, Lance Obermeyer wrote:
> The free Oracle deal is limited to their high end Sparc servers, which (according to the article) are losing market
share. It is not offered for their Opteron servers, which seem to be gaining share due to superior design.  I think
theseare mostly different markets.  Oracle on the proprietary architecture servers, PostgreSQL on the commodity
architectureservers.  Seems a reasonable strategy to me.