joint booths at upcoming tradeshows

From
Si Chen
Date:
Hi everybody.  This is my first posting here, so please excuse my lack
of knowledge.

I'm one of the core developers of the Open For Business (www.ofbiz.org)
project and the lead developer for Sequoia ERP (www.sequoiaerp.org),
which are both true open source ERP applications projects released under
the non-reciprocal MIT Public License.  (OFBiz is a development project
with an SVN tree, and Sequoia ERP are the stable releases.)  Our project
is database neutral and supports most major databases, including
PostgreSQL.  In fact, quite a few deployments have been done with
PostgreSQL over time.

One idea I had was to do some joint promotion at upcoming tradeshows.  I
thought it might be possible for us to send someone to the PostgreSQL
booths with a demo of Sequoia ERP running on PostgreSQL, so people could
see ecommerce, warehouse, manufacturing, Point Of Sales, order entry,
and some CRM and accounting applications at work.  We could also put
together some CD's with Sequoia ERP pre-configured for PostgreSQL and
hand them out at the booths.

We're based in the US ourselves, but there are other community members
in Europe, Asia, and Australia as well.  I could contact the other
community members and see if they would be available to participate in
the overseas booths as well.

Is this something that might make sense?

Si Chen
sichen@opensourcestrategies.com

Re: joint booths at upcoming tradeshows

Si Chen wrote:
> Hi everybody.  This is my first posting here, so please excuse my lack
> of knowledge.
>
> I'm one of the core developers of the Open For Business (www.ofbiz.org)
> project and the lead developer for Sequoia ERP (www.sequoiaerp.org),
> which are both true open source ERP applications projects released under
> the non-reciprocal MIT Public License.  (OFBiz is a development project
> with an SVN tree, and Sequoia ERP are the stable releases.)  Our project
> is database neutral and supports most major databases, including
> PostgreSQL.  In fact, quite a few deployments have been done with
> PostgreSQL over time.
>
> One idea I had was to do some joint promotion at upcoming tradeshows.  I
> thought it might be possible for us to send someone to the PostgreSQL
> booths with a demo of Sequoia ERP running on PostgreSQL, so people could
> see ecommerce, warehouse, manufacturing, Point Of Sales, order entry,
> and some CRM and accounting applications at work.  We could also put
> together some CD's with Sequoia ERP pre-configured for PostgreSQL and
> hand them out at the booths.
>
> We're based in the US ourselves, but there are other community members
> in Europe, Asia, and Australia as well.  I could contact the other
> community members and see if they would be available to participate in
> the overseas booths as well.
>
> Is this something that might make sense?

Yes, it is a good idea.  In the USA we have booths at the two linuxworld
trade shows, and at the O'Reilly show, and have had other related
projects share booths with us and it has gone well.  Outside the USA, we
have booths at Linuxworld UK and Linuxtag.  I also have booths at a lot
of the per-country shows.  They are all listed on the Events section of
our web site.

Re: joint booths at upcoming tradeshows

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
SI Chen,

> One idea I had was to do some joint promotion at upcoming tradeshows.  I
> thought it might be possible for us to send someone to the PostgreSQL
> booths with a demo of Sequoia ERP running on PostgreSQL, so people could
> see ecommerce, warehouse, manufacturing, Point Of Sales, order entry,
> and some CRM and accounting applications at work.  We could also put
> together some CD's with Sequoia ERP pre-configured for PostgreSQL and
> hand them out at the booths.

I've talked to Sun about sponsoring this at OSBC West and LWE Boston.
Haven't recieved a reply yet, though.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: joint booths at upcoming tradeshows

From
Si Chen
Date:
Josh, Bruce -

So do we need to sign up or reserve a spot at your booths for next year?

Si

Si Chen wrote:
> Josh, Bruce -
>
> So do we need to sign up or reserve a spot at your booths for next year?

I don't think so.  You can see the events on our web site, and just post
something to the advocacy list a week before to hook up with the people
manning the booth.

> Si
>
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>
> >SI Chen,
> >

> >>One idea I had was to do some joint promotion at upcoming tradeshows.  I
> >>thought it might be possible for us to send someone to the PostgreSQL
> >>booths with a demo of Sequoia ERP running on PostgreSQL, so people could
> >>see ecommerce, warehouse, manufacturing, Point Of Sales, order entry,
> >>and some CRM and accounting applications at work.  We could also put
> >>together some CD's with Sequoia ERP pre-configured for PostgreSQL and
> >>hand them out at the booths.
> >>

> >I've talked to Sun about sponsoring this at OSBC West and LWE Boston.
> >Haven't recieved a reply yet, though.

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: joint booths at upcoming tradeshows

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 08:33:11PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Yes, it is a good idea.  In the USA we have booths at the two linuxworld
> trade shows, and at the O'Reilly show, and have had other related
> projects share booths with us and it has gone well.  Outside the USA, we
> have booths at Linuxworld UK and Linuxtag.  I also have booths at a lot
> of the per-country shows.  They are all listed on the Events section of
> our web site.

Speaking of which, a coworker (Steve Slezak) has info from IDG; they
want to know who to talk to about a PostgreSQL .org booth for Linux
World '06. He emailed this list a while ago but never got a reply.

Re: joint booths at upcoming tradeshows

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
> Speaking of which, a coworker (Steve Slezak) has info from IDG; they
> want to know who to talk to about a PostgreSQL .org booth for Linux
> World '06. He emailed this list a while ago but never got a reply.

Also speaking of, how many hackers are going to the soccer world cup
next year?  :D

Chris

Re: joint booths at upcoming tradeshows

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Am Mittwoch, 30. November 2005 08:37 schrieb Christopher Kings-Lynne:
> Also speaking of, how many hackers are going to the soccer world cup
> next year?  :D

Speaking of which, the weekend of the finals interferes with the PG
anniversary.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: joint booths at upcoming tradeshows

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Wednesday 30 November 2005 03:35, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 30. November 2005 08:37 schrieb Christopher Kings-Lynne:
> > Also speaking of, how many hackers are going to the soccer world cup
> > next year?  :D
>
> Speaking of which, the weekend of the finals interferes with the PG
> anniversary.

Ah yet another good thing about being american... no chance our team will be
there!  :-)

--
Robert Treat

Re: joint booths at upcoming tradeshows

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Jim,

> Speaking of which, a coworker (Steve Slezak) has info from IDG; they
> want to know who to talk to about a PostgreSQL .org booth for Linux
> World '06. He emailed this list a while ago but never got a reply.

Ooops, sorry, I must have missed that in the non-member posts.

Which LWE?   Boston, San Francisco, Sydney, what?

--Josh

Date:
On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 10:11:53AM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Jim,
>
> >Speaking of which, a coworker (Steve Slezak) has info from IDG; they
> >want to know who to talk to about a PostgreSQL .org booth for Linux
> >World '06. He emailed this list a while ago but never got a reply.
>
> Ooops, sorry, I must have missed that in the non-member posts.
>
> Which LWE?   Boston, San Francisco, Sydney, what?

Boston, Apr. 4-6.

Re: joint booths at upcoming tradeshows

From
"Stephen Slezak"
Date:
We also should have some extra space in out booth (right beside the .org section) where we could highlight other
solutionsthat run on PostreSQL

Steve

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq