Where are all the Canadians?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

I just got a note from PHPCon Quebec that the ONLY person to submit a
PostgreSQL-themed talk was Robert Bernier.  I *know* we have lots of
Canadians in this community ... where are you all?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Where are all the Canadians?

From
Bernard Clement
Date:
Hi Josh,

I plan to go to PHPCon since I lived in Montreal.

However, due to the fact I am a novice with PostgreSQL I do no think I am
ready to make an interesting presentation on PostgreSQL.  I have also another
reason related to my health that makes me unsuitable to make presentations.

If there is a plan to have a PostgreSQL booth I am willing to help and be
present for it.

Bernard
On Sunday 30 October 2005 16:43, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I just got a note from PHPCon Quebec that the ONLY person to submit a
> PostgreSQL-themed talk was Robert Bernier.  I *know* we have lots of
> Canadians in this community ... where are you all?

Re: Where are all the Canadians?

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
On Sunday 30 October 2005 16:43, Josh Berkus wrote:
> I just got a note from PHPCon Quebec that the ONLY person to submit a
> PostgreSQL-themed talk was Robert Bernier.  I *know* we have lots of
> Canadians in this community ... where are you all?

Is anybody from Afilias (toronto) willing to come to Montreal?

cheers

rob

Re: Where are all the Canadians?

From
Chris Browne
Date:
robert.bernier5@sympatico.ca (Robert Bernier) writes:
> On Sunday 30 October 2005 16:43, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> I just got a note from PHPCon Quebec that the ONLY person to submit a
>> PostgreSQL-themed talk was Robert Bernier.  I *know* we have lots of
>> Canadians in this community ... where are you all?
>
> Is anybody from Afilias (toronto) willing to come to Montreal?

I was in Montreal a few weeks ago, so, in principle, evidently I'm
"willing to be in Montreal."

But my assumption is that if it's a PHP convention, then there ought
to be some connection to PHP in what one might present on.  Afilias
hasn't got anything PHP-relevant going on, which makes for a pretty
weak fit.  I have only done some very primitive bits of PHP work,
which makes me think much the same for my involvement personally.

If there is some further truly compelling reasoning to spend a portion
of the limited "conference budget" on PHPCon Quebec, it is certainly
not impossible that someone may go.  But I daresay it needs to be
rather more compelling than what I have seen so far.
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "acm.org")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/linuxdistributions.html

Date:
On Monday 31 October 2005 09:05, Chris Browne wrote:
>> I just got a note from PHPCon Quebec that the ONLY person to submit a
>> PostgreSQL-themed talk ..... anybody from Afilias (toronto) willing to
>> come to Montreal?

> My assumption is that if it's a PHP convention, then there ought
> to be some connection to PHP in what one might present on

Maybe your right. But I can't see how useful such a conference can be if it
limits themselves in this manner.

In any case, it won't hurt to make a proposal. Any postgres proposal is
reasonable. Remember, people will listen because they want to use a database
engine as their backend.

For the record, I have submitted three proposals and only one peripherarily
talks of php (I've asked that only one be selected):

- An Introduction to PostgreSQL, A Party Monster's Guide
- An Introduction to PostgreSQL Replication using SLONY in a web environment
- How to make detailed interactive web forms without the need for complicated
or proprietary solutions using your XML enabled PostgreSQL engine

I see no problems if we make similar proposals. The php conference committee
will just come back to us and ask that we select the most qualified
candidate.

--
Robert Bernier
PostgreSQL Business Intelligence Analyst

Tel:  212.244.8833 ext:22

www.sraapowergres.com  robertb@sraapowergres.com
www.sraamerica.com

Re: Where are all the Canadians?

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Mon, 2005-31-10 at 09:05 -0500, Chris Browne wrote:
> If there is some further truly compelling reasoning to spend a portion
> of the limited "conference budget" on PHPCon Quebec, it is certainly
> not impossible that someone may go.  But I daresay it needs to be
> rather more compelling than what I have seen so far.

I live in Kingston, so I could also get to the conference pretty easily,
but it also didn't seem very worthwhile to me.

-Neil

Date:

Date:
Hi Josh,

I plan to go to PHPCon since I lived in Montreal.

However, due to the fact I am a novice with PostgreSQL I do no think I am
ready to make an interesting presentation on PostgreSQL.  I have also another
reason related to my health but it makes me unsuitable to make presentations.