UCSD CSE dept uses MS SQL

From
Jeff Davis
Date:
I don't know how many university students are on this list, but I attend
University of California, San Diego. That's a major university and a
part of the same university system as Berkeley.

I have recently been taking some computer engineering classes there, and
in the only two classes that have used databases, both used MS SQL
Server. So, I take it from that that UCSD is basically a MS SQL shop.

However, there is some good news. One of my professors is familiar with
PostgreSQL. He is from Brazil (I think he's a guest professor of some
kind), and he said his students there work on PostgreSQL. He also said
that his students love to work with it because the code is so clean and
easy to work with.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis

Re: UCSD CSE dept uses MS SQL

From
Jeff Davis
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Jeff,
>
>> I don't know how many university students are on this list, but I
>> attend University of California, San Diego. That's a major university
>> and a part of the same university system as Berkeley.
>>
>> I have recently been taking some computer engineering classes there,
>> and in the only two classes that have used databases, both used MS SQL
>> Server. So, I take it from that that UCSD is basically a MS SQL shop.
>

> That's interesting given that UCB is very much a PostgreSQL shop, as is
> Hastings.  I wonder if it's left up to the faculty?

Well, I don't know exactly who you mean by faculty. It's obviously
someone at the school, I doubt that it's mandated at the state level.
Perhaps the database researchers use something else? I'm sure that if a
professor really wanted to they could use whatever they wanted, but MS
SQL seems to be the one that's already supported and maintained by other
staff.

I'll just ask my database professor directly, and send an update to this
list.

Either way, the classes that make use of databases certainly seem to be
teaching MS SQL. It's a shame that my university defaults to teaching
"industry standard" software. A university ahould be academic, not
vocational school.

The only alternative database that I've heard mentioned by students was,
no surprise, MySQL. Oh well, at least the professor heard of PostgreSQL.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis

Re: UCSD CSE dept uses MS SQL

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Jeff,

> I don't know how many university students are on this list, but I attend
> University of California, San Diego. That's a major university and a
> part of the same university system as Berkeley.
>
> I have recently been taking some computer engineering classes there, and
> in the only two classes that have used databases, both used MS SQL
> Server. So, I take it from that that UCSD is basically a MS SQL shop.

That's interesting given that UCB is very much a PostgreSQL shop, as is
Hastings.  I wonder if it's left up to the faculty?

--Josh

Re: UCSD CSE dept uses MS SQL

From
Jeff Davis
Date:
Jeff Davis wrote:
> I'll just ask my database professor directly, and send an update to this
> list.

I asked him and he gave me the impression that it's an option for the
professors, and there's not really any "standard" product at the school.

He said that at his home university (in Brazil), he teaches using
Oracle, MS SQL, MySQL, and PostgreSQL.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis

Re: UCSD CSE dept uses MS SQL

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Jeff,

> He said that at his home university (in Brazil), he teaches using
> Oracle, MS SQL, MySQL, and PostgreSQL.

Yeah, we're really well supported in the Federal University system.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Free Oracle?

From
Joshua Kramer
Date:
In case everyone hasn't seen it yet, Oracle is now offering a free "Oracle
10i Lite" version.  You can use it for development use or deploy for
production with the following limitations:

1. Data size limit is 4G (this includes Oracle System data)
2. Only 1 instance of server per hardware server
3. Only runs on 1 processor
4. Only uses up to 1G Ram.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5920796.html

Comments?

--Josh

Re: Free Oracle?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> Comments?

Comments: http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/database/soup/archives/006354.asp
(shameless plug, too)

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Free Oracle?

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
An interesting bit of history for those who don't know: You've been able
to download full versions of Oracle for free for a very long time from
their website. They relied on the fear of lawsuit to keep people legal.
If they've removed those free downloads then they've actually taken a
step backwards.

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 09:50:07AM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Josh,
>
> > Comments?
>
> Comments: http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/database/soup/archives/006354.asp
> (shameless plug, too)
>
> --
> --Josh
>
> Josh Berkus
> Aglio Database Solutions
> San Francisco

Re: Free Oracle?

From
Mark Harrison
Date:
Joshua Kramer wrote:
> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5920796.html
>
> Comments?

I think somebody at Oracle has been paying attention to the
"Innovator's Dilemma". They are being pretty smart to avoid
being undercut at the low end by products that could then
move up the value chain and threaten them on the high end.

I used to work for Applied Data Research.  They were famous
(so I was told) for  having the first TP monitor (DATACOM/DC) and the first
query system capable of doing ad hoc queries (DATACOM/DQ).  (OTOH they received
the first software patent and were the ones who started the IBM
antitrust lawsuit).

I remember their amusement at Oracle (it had some different company
name back then) and their pointy-headed "relational" model, and
how no serious company would ever be able to run with it.  Soon afterwards
they were being bought by CA. :-/

FWIW,
Mark