Re: Free Oracle? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Mark Harrison
Subject Re: Free Oracle?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Joshua Kramer wrote:
> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5920796.html
>
> Comments?

I think somebody at Oracle has been paying attention to the
"Innovator's Dilemma". They are being pretty smart to avoid
being undercut at the low end by products that could then
move up the value chain and threaten them on the high end.

I used to work for Applied Data Research.  They were famous
(so I was told) for  having the first TP monitor (DATACOM/DC) and the first
query system capable of doing ad hoc queries (DATACOM/DQ).  (OTOH they received
the first software patent and were the ones who started the IBM
antitrust lawsuit).

I remember their amusement at Oracle (it had some different company
name back then) and their pointy-headed "relational" model, and
how no serious company would ever be able to run with it.  Soon afterwards
they were being bought by CA. :-/

FWIW,
Mark