8.1 release, next take

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

OK, I've put up a revised version of the 8.1 release on the Press Project.
For those of you who are on that project, the files are on CVS here:
http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/press/pr/releases/8.1/en/
(we voted last year on whether to use CVS or some web-based editing method,
and our translators liked CVS).

For those of you not on the project, I've put the first draft up in Docs:
http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/85/release.txt
(if you're going to be helping with the release, let me know and I'll add
you to the project).

There's a few things I'm still not satisfied with on this release:

1) The first paragraph lacks punch.  Suggestions?

2) I don't know about the location in the byline.  I was told by a PR
professional that we *had* to have one for 8.0, but then pretty much all
the news services stripped it out.  I'm going to ask GreenPlum's PR firm
if we can leave it off.

3) Lance, you ready to own this quote?   I embellished it some.

4) I wanted to divide the "buzzworthy" features into two sections.
However, I don't think that the way I did it really works.  Ideas?

5) Can someone **please** give me a more exciting description of what ROLES
are for?

6) Merlin, you ready to own a quote?   What's your company and title?  Do
we need authorization from your company?

7) I'm not sure about the placement of the quotes either.  Suggestions
welcome.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: 8.1 release, next take

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
You missed GiST concurrency and recovery project we've done for 8.1.
Also, it'd be nice to mention that PosGIS project sponsored it.
Probably, we could get quotes from PosGIS community.

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Folks,
>
> OK, I've put up a revised version of the 8.1 release on the Press Project.
> For those of you who are on that project, the files are on CVS here:
> http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/press/pr/releases/8.1/en/
> (we voted last year on whether to use CVS or some web-based editing method,
> and our translators liked CVS).
>
> For those of you not on the project, I've put the first draft up in Docs:
> http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/85/release.txt
> (if you're going to be helping with the release, let me know and I'll add
> you to the project).
>
> There's a few things I'm still not satisfied with on this release:
>
> 1) The first paragraph lacks punch.  Suggestions?
>
> 2) I don't know about the location in the byline.  I was told by a PR
> professional that we *had* to have one for 8.0, but then pretty much all
> the news services stripped it out.  I'm going to ask GreenPlum's PR firm
> if we can leave it off.
>
> 3) Lance, you ready to own this quote?   I embellished it some.
>
> 4) I wanted to divide the "buzzworthy" features into two sections.
> However, I don't think that the way I did it really works.  Ideas?
>
> 5) Can someone **please** give me a more exciting description of what ROLES
> are for?
>
> 6) Merlin, you ready to own a quote?   What's your company and title?  Do
> we need authorization from your company?
>
> 7) I'm not sure about the placement of the quotes either.  Suggestions
> welcome.

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: 8.1 release, next take

From
Chris Browne
Date:
josh@agliodbs.com (Josh Berkus) writes:
> 5) Can someone **please** give me a more exciting description of
> what ROLES are for?

Roles:  PostgreSQL now supports database roles, which simplify
the management of large user bases with complex overlapping
database rights.

The following may be a bit too wordy, but may provide something to
"mine."

Roles: PostgreSQL has unified users and groups into a common object
type called a role.  Access privileges are associated with roles, and
the unification makes it easier to manage access for large user bases
involving complex overlapping database privileges.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.mca" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://cbbrowne.com/info/wp.html

Re: 8.1 release, next take

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Oleg,

> You missed GiST concurrency and recovery project we've done for 8.1.
> Also, it'd be nice to mention that PosGIS project sponsored it.
> Probably, we could get quotes from PosGIS community.

Yeah, I was thinking of putting GiST concurrency on the Press Kit webpage.
Unfortunately, anything involving GiST is pretty much a "PostgreSQL Insider"
feature, since it would be hard to explain to the press even what GiST *is*.

Heck, I'd have left off Shared Row Locking for the web page if I wasn't trying
to counteract FUD about PostgreSQL not having row-level locking.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: 8.1 release, next take

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Chris,

> Roles: PostgreSQL has unified users and groups into a common object
> type called a role.  Access privileges are associated with roles, and
> the unification makes it easier to manage access for large user bases
> involving complex overlapping database privileges.

Too techie, I think.  Database Roles are advertised as a feature in other
DBMSes; what's the buzzword marketspeak for why people should want them?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: 8.1 release, next take

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
On Sun, 18 Sep 2005, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Oleg,
>
>> You missed GiST concurrency and recovery project we've done for 8.1.
>> Also, it'd be nice to mention that PosGIS project sponsored it.
>> Probably, we could get quotes from PosGIS community.
>
> Yeah, I was thinking of putting GiST concurrency on the Press Kit webpage.
> Unfortunately, anything involving GiST is pretty much a "PostgreSQL Insider"
> feature, since it would be hard to explain to the press even what GiST *is*.

This is *our* PR problem we couldn't explain our achievements.

Probably, better  refer to popular GiST based extensions
like full text indexing, geo-spatial extensions ? They automatically
inherit concurrency and recovery features from GiST.

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: 8.1 release, next take

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Oleg,

> Probably, better  refer to popular GiST based extensions
> like full text indexing, geo-spatial extensions ? They automatically
> inherit concurrency and recovery features from GiST.

Sure ... on the Presskit Web Page.  The stuff in the release really has to be
"buzzword compliant": that is, either be an implementation of some known
database feature (roles, partitioning, 2PC) or have huge performance gains
(bitmapscan, clock-sweep) or specifically counteract anti-PostgreSQL FUD
(shared locks).

Bascially, these are "PR" features which reporters who don't understand them
can recognize by the terms used and that give us "checklist compliance" in
the minds of pointy-haired bosses.

This means that many features, which may be *more* important to existing
users, appear on the Presskit web page and the community release notice but
not in the press release.  For 8.1, this includes the GiST improvements,
64-bit shared mem, indexing MIN/MAX, autovacuum in postmaster, psql
subtransactions, better pl/perl memory use, and shared dependencies (and
probably something I've forgotten).  All of these are cool features that the
people who already use PostgreSQL are looking forward to.  None of them stand
a chance of being picked up by the trade press.

Are you following my reasoning, here?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: 8.1 release, next take

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Oleg,
>
>> Probably, better  refer to popular GiST based extensions
>> like full text indexing, geo-spatial extensions ? They automatically
>> inherit concurrency and recovery features from GiST.
>
> Sure ... on the Presskit Web Page.  The stuff in the release really has to be
> "buzzword compliant": that is, either be an implementation of some known
> database feature (roles, partitioning, 2PC) or have huge performance gains
> (bitmapscan, clock-sweep) or specifically counteract anti-PostgreSQL FUD
> (shared locks).
>
> Bascially, these are "PR" features which reporters who don't understand them
> can recognize by the terms used and that give us "checklist compliance" in
> the minds of pointy-haired bosses.
>
> This means that many features, which may be *more* important to existing
> users, appear on the Presskit web page and the community release notice but
> not in the press release.  For 8.1, this includes the GiST improvements,
> 64-bit shared mem, indexing MIN/MAX, autovacuum in postmaster, psql
> subtransactions, better pl/perl memory use, and shared dependencies (and
> probably something I've forgotten).  All of these are cool features that the
> people who already use PostgreSQL are looking forward to.  None of them stand
> a chance of being picked up by the trade press.
>
> Are you following my reasoning, here?

Yeah, I see. I want somehow to thank our sponsors. Is't possible to do
this on the Presskit Web Page ?

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: 8.1 release, next take

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Oleg,

> Yeah, I see. I want somehow to thank our sponsors. Is't possible to do
> this on the Presskit Web Page ?

Yes, definitely.  I think a link to the sponsors page would be appropriate.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: 8.1 release, next take

From
Chris Travers
How about:

Roles allow permissions to be assigned to users or groups of users
easily.  For this reason, roles allow database administration cost to
scale well as the number of users grows.

Simple discussion of why the PHB type might want to consider it.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting

Josh Berkus wrote:

>Chris,
>

>>Roles: PostgreSQL has unified users and groups into a common object
>>type called a role.  Access privileges are associated with roles, and
>>the unification makes it easier to manage access for large user bases
>>involving complex overlapping database privileges.
>>

>Too techie, I think.  Database Roles are advertised as a feature in other
>DBMSes; what's the buzzword marketspeak for why people should want them?

Attachment