Postgres in government

From
Mark Steckel
Date:
Hello,

Sorry for the cross post.

I am working on a requirements and recommendation document for a division
of the State of Hawaii Attorney General's office. We are proposing that
Postgres be used for the application database. Not too surprisingly we are
being asked for additional information because Postgres is open source.

We all know that Postgres is good and given the requirements and scale of
this project (fairly small) it is a very good fit. I have looked at the
case studies listed on postgresql.org and searched the mailing list
archives. I have also scrounged the Internet looking for examples of
Postgres being used in government, preferably  in 24x7 capacities. Overall,
not a lot of examples out there, which seems strange because I know it is
being used by various government agencies.

Its the communities of users and developers that make open source software
so powerful, I decided that the best course of action was to leverage the
community.

So, if you have used Postgres (or know that it has been used) for a
government project, especially in a 24x7 environment, I would greatly
appreciate hearing about it. Ideally, I need more than just the project
name. Specifically, A brief description of the project, number of
users/transactions as day/week/month, etc, whatever details you have and
can share.

Please CC me as I'm not subscribed to the list. And since I'm leaving on
vacation in 3 days, please CC my coworkers at postgres-info@eworldes.com

Thanks in advance
Mark

Re: [GENERAL] Postgres in government

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 21:24, Mark Steckel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Sorry for the cross post.
>
> I am working on a requirements and recommendation document for a division
> of the State of Hawaii Attorney General's office. We are proposing that
> Postgres be used for the application database. Not too surprisingly we are
> being asked for additional information because Postgres is open source.
>
> We all know that Postgres is good and given the requirements and scale of
> this project (fairly small) it is a very good fit. I have looked at the
> case studies listed on postgresql.org and searched the mailing list
> archives. I have also scrounged the Internet looking for examples of
> Postgres being used in government, preferably  in 24x7 capacities. Overall,
> not a lot of examples out there, which seems strange because I know it is
> being used by various government agencies.
>
> Its the communities of users and developers that make open source software
> so powerful, I decided that the best course of action was to leverage the
> community.
>
> So, if you have used Postgres (or know that it has been used) for a
> government project, especially in a 24x7 environment, I would greatly
> appreciate hearing about it. Ideally, I need more than just the project
> name. Specifically, A brief description of the project, number of
> users/transactions as day/week/month, etc, whatever details you have and
> can share.

There are probably thousands of 24/7 operations running postgresql.
None of them have to tell anyone, so it's no surprise you haven't heard
about them.

One of the more interesting projects running on postgresql is the .org
domain.  Do a search for postgresql and afilias and .org or whatnot.

Re: Postgres in government

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Mr, Steckel,

> I am working on a requirements and recommendation document for a division
> of the State of Hawaii Attorney General's office. We are proposing that
> Postgres be used for the application database. Not too surprisingly we are
> being asked for additional information because Postgres is open source.

Amusing, isn't it, that open source software requires additional information?

> So, if you have used Postgres (or know that it has been used) for a
> government project, especially in a 24x7 environment, I would greatly
> appreciate hearing about it. Ideally, I need more than just the project
> name. Specifically, A brief description of the project, number of
> users/transactions as day/week/month, etc, whatever details you have and
> can share.

Some web resources using PostgreSQL 24/7:
Afilias Inc, running the .ORG and .INFO domains
TravelPost.com
Rambler.ru
.... seven popular web sites I've worked on for all of which I'm under
NDA ....

Government Agencies using PostgreSQL:
City of Garden Grove, CA
National Gallery
Media Library project of the Library of Congress
Several highway departments (using ShareChive)
Three large Federal agencies I'm not allowed to mention :-(

The last touches on a key difficulty in giving references.   I personally know
of one Federal agency who is using PostgreSQL in a national security
capacity ... and if I named it, at the very least the staff involved would be
fired.  For that matter, there is another national agency-like body using
PostgreSQL extensively whom you can find by googling our mailing lists ...
but they can't be mentioned "officially" either.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Postgres in government

From
"Bryan Encina"
Date:
> > So, if you have used Postgres (or know that it has been used) for a
> > government project, especially in a 24x7 environment, I
> would greatly
> > appreciate hearing about it. Ideally, I need more than just
> the project
> > name. Specifically, A brief description of the project, number of
> > users/transactions as day/week/month, etc, whatever details
> you have and
> > can share.

Wasn't the previous "Featured User" quote on the postgresql.org website from
a representative of the City of Garden Grove in CA?  There doesn't seem to
be a way to view the past featured user comments, but I'm pretty sure this
was the case.  He/she may be willing to provide more info if you can find
out who it was.

-b

Re: Postgres in government

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

> Government Agencies using PostgreSQL:
> City of Garden Grove, CA
> National Gallery
> Media Library project of the Library of Congress
> Several highway departments (using ShareChive)
> Three large Federal agencies I'm not allowed to mention :-(

Sandia Labs
US Army
Dept of Forestry
State of California
NCSA
NOAA

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> The last touches on a key difficulty in giving references.   I personally know
> of one Federal agency who is using PostgreSQL in a national security
> capacity ... and if I named it, at the very least the staff involved would be
> fired.  For that matter, there is another national agency-like body using
> PostgreSQL extensively whom you can find by googling our mailing lists ...
> but they can't be mentioned "officially" either.

Re: Postgres in government

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> Sandia Labs
> US Army
> Dept of Forestry
> State of California
> NCSA
> NOAA

Wow, amazingly enough, the above doesn't include any of the three.   Is there
a Federal agency *not* using PostgreSQL?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Postgres in government

From
Robby Russell
Date:
On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 10:07 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> > Government Agencies using PostgreSQL:
> > City of Garden Grove, CA
> > National Gallery
> > Media Library project of the Library of Congress
> > Several highway departments (using ShareChive)
> > Three large Federal agencies I'm not allowed to mention :-(
>
> Sandia Labs
> US Army
> Dept of Forestry
> State of California
> NCSA
> NOAA

I know of at least one main office in the State of Utah that uses
PostgreSQL as well.

-Robby

--
/******************************************************
* Robby Russell, Owner.Developer.Geek

Re: Postgres in government

From
Robert Treat
Date:

Noel Proffitt, http://www.ci.garden-grove.ca.us/

There doesn't seem to
> be a way to view the past featured user comments, but I'm pretty sure this
> was the case.

On my personal todo list, but not high at the moment. (Let me add it to
the web todo list though in case anyone wants to jump on it)

 He/she may be willing to provide more info if you can find
> out who it was.

Just to hear Josh groan i'll mention that you can look up the past
quotes via cvs if you really need them.

Also, for the OP, you could check out devis, which is a postgresql
friendly consulting company that specializes in government work.
(http://www.devis.com/Clients/)

Robert Treat

Re: Postgres in government

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Josh,
>

>>Sandia Labs
>>US Army
>>Dept of Forestry
>>State of California
>>NCSA
>>NOAA
>

> Wow, amazingly enough, the above doesn't include any of the three.   Is there
> a Federal agency *not* using PostgreSQL?

Well NSA maybe ;). I know that the Navy uses it as well.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Postgres in government

From
Ron Mayer
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Three large Federal agencies I'm not allowed to mention :-(

I'm curious why they can't be mentioned?  A NDA regarding the
technologies used?  Classified projects?

It seems in many cases even relatively security conscious
agencies don't mind vendors announcing their use of open
source projects.  IBM's Linux/DB2 wins in DHS information
sharing networks, and Oracle's Linux/Oracle win on the
Department of Homeland Security's own web site come to mind.

I'm not doubting you.  I know one similar case of a
government agency using postgresql, but in this case
the reason I can't mentioned it is a matter of one
vendor's partnership agreement with another large
proprietary database vendor.  I'm just curious if
the matter was a legal issue with the government
or if it was a contractual issue with a vendor.

Re: Postgres in government

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Ron Mayer wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>> Three large Federal agencies I'm not allowed to mention :-(
>

> I'm curious why they can't be mentioned?  A NDA regarding the
> technologies used?  Classified projects?

I would guess because the people above them don't know their using
PostgreSQL ;)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Postgres in government

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 10:19:16AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Josh,
>
> > Sandia Labs
> > US Army
> > Dept of Forestry
> > State of California
> > NCSA
> > NOAA
>
> Wow, amazingly enough, the above doesn't include any of the three.
> Is there a Federal agency *not* using PostgreSQL?

I doubt it.

As I see it, PostgreSQL is in approximately the position that Linux,
Apache, Perl, &c. were in the late 1990s, which is to say that it's
already been sneaked, er, I mean "informally deployed" into just about
every IT organization worth the name, and is just starting to get some
official recognition.

phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Re: Postgres in government

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 15:59, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Ron Mayer wrote:
> > Josh Berkus wrote:
> >
> >> Three large Federal agencies I'm not allowed to mention :-(
> >

> > I'm curious why they can't be mentioned?  A NDA regarding the
> > technologies used?  Classified projects?
>
> I would guess because the people above them don't know their using
> PostgreSQL ;)

Thats one reason.  Some of them actually are classified, so thats
another reason. Another I've heard is some agencies trying to stay
vendor neutral (ie. they see being open about their technologies as an
endorsement).

The other bit about some agencies putting up "powered by oracle" and
what not, in a lot of those cases, the agency receives a deep "discount"
on the software in turn for allowing their name to be used in
promotional materials... we don't exactly have that kind of leverage.
(Of course determining if a discounted oracle install is really a
discount if you could do the same thing with postgresql for free is an
exercise I will leave to the taxpayer)

Robert Treat

Re: Postgres in government

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
> Some web resources using PostgreSQL 24/7:
> Afilias Inc, running the .ORG and .INFO domains
> TravelPost.com
> Rambler.ru
> .... seven popular web sites I've worked on for all of which I'm under
> NDA ....

A site I work on, CalorieKing.com, does a huge amount of traffic, with a
  PostgreSQL backend.

Chris