Re: Postgres in government - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Postgres in government
Date
Re: Postgres in government
Re: Postgres in government
List pgsql-advocacy
Mr, Steckel,

> I am working on a requirements and recommendation document for a division
> of the State of Hawaii Attorney General's office. We are proposing that
> Postgres be used for the application database. Not too surprisingly we are
> being asked for additional information because Postgres is open source.

Amusing, isn't it, that open source software requires additional information?

> So, if you have used Postgres (or know that it has been used) for a
> government project, especially in a 24x7 environment, I would greatly
> appreciate hearing about it. Ideally, I need more than just the project
> name. Specifically, A brief description of the project, number of
> users/transactions as day/week/month, etc, whatever details you have and
> can share.

Some web resources using PostgreSQL 24/7:
Afilias Inc, running the .ORG and .INFO domains
TravelPost.com
Rambler.ru
.... seven popular web sites I've worked on for all of which I'm under
NDA ....

Government Agencies using PostgreSQL:
City of Garden Grove, CA
National Gallery
Media Library project of the Library of Congress
Several highway departments (using ShareChive)
Three large Federal agencies I'm not allowed to mention :-(

The last touches on a key difficulty in giving references.   I personally know
of one Federal agency who is using PostgreSQL in a national security
capacity ... and if I named it, at the very least the staff involved would be
fired.  For that matter, there is another national agency-like body using
PostgreSQL extensively whom you can find by googling our mailing lists ...
but they can't be mentioned "officially" either.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions