David Fetter wrote:

> == PostgreSQL Product News ==
>
> OpenRPT is a graphical SQL report writer, designer and rendering
> engine, optimized for PostgreSQL. WYSIWYG display, GUI built with Qt,
> runs on Linux, Windows, Mac OS X. Server-side rendering engine.
> Reports can be saved as XML, either as files or in a database.
> http://pgfoundry.org/projects/openrpt/

Dave, thanks for the plug - and thanks to everyone who's expressed an interest in OpenRPT so far.  It seems there are
stillsome performance issues with pgFoundry  (pending setup of new servers?) - so for now, we're going to do our best
notto contribute to the load, and point people to OpenRPT's home on SourceForge, where the iron is big and the pipes
fat:

http://openrpt.sf.net/

We're very interested in engaging with the PostgreSQL community to help make OpenRPT better.  For those who aren't
familiarwith us, the OpenRPT project has spun out of an ERP application called OpenMFG.  I'm the CEO of OpenMFG LLC,
thecompany; I was previously one of the founders of Great Bridge, a first-generation Postgres company that was a
casualtyof the dot-com boom/bust cycle four years ago.  I formed OpenMFG to bring a Postgres-based ERP system to market
(www.openmfg.com)... and along the way, part of what we built with our ERP was a multiplatform report writer.

The OpenMFG ERP Suite is inexpensive but not free; source code provided and patches accepted, but not OSI-certified
"opensource."  We decided that the report writer level of the "stack" was different, however, and decided to release
OpenRPTunder the GPL for anyone and everyone who wants to abide by the terms of the GPL.  For those who would like to
"optout" of the GPL, we also offer a commercial license.  For more on the licensing, as well as downloads, CVS,
screenshots,docs, project info, etc., please check out the project homepage at http://openrpt.sf.net.

Thanks very much,
Ned

--
Ned Lilly
President and CEO

Re: OpenRPT (was Re: [ANNOUNCE] == PostgreSQL Weekly

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
> Dave, thanks for the plug - and thanks to everyone who's expressed an
> interest in OpenRPT so far.  It seems there are still some performance
> issues with pgFoundry  (pending setup of new servers?) - so for now,
> we're going to do our best not to contribute to the load, and point
> people to OpenRPT's home on SourceForge, where the iron is big and the
> pipes fat:
>
> http://openrpt.sf.net/

Erm.  I looked at that software.  It's freakin' rad.  Finally I can do
reports for managers without MS Access...

Chris

Re: OpenRPT

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
chriskl@familyhealth.com.au (Christopher Kings-Lynne) wrote:
>> Dave, thanks for the plug - and thanks to everyone who's expressed
>> an interest in OpenRPT so far.  It seems there are still some
>> performance issues with pgFoundry  (pending setup of new servers?) -
>> so for now, we're going to do our best not to contribute to the
>> load, and point people to OpenRPT's home on SourceForge, where the
>> iron is big and the pipes fat:
>> http://openrpt.sf.net/
>
> Erm.  I looked at that software.  It's freakin' rad.  Finally I can do
> reports for managers without MS Access...

My question would be whether or not it's "batchable" for environments
where you haven't got X running or available.

It could be nifty to "drag and drool" some reports into place, but
there are cases where that's only useful if they can subsequently be
deployed without needing to have either Qt or X available.
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "gmail.com")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/slony.html

Re: OpenRPT

From
Ned Lilly
Date:
Christopher Browne wrote:

> My question would be whether or not it's "batchable" for environments
> where you haven't got X running or available.
>
> It could be nifty to "drag and drool" some reports into place, but
> there are cases where that's only useful if they can subsequently be
> deployed without needing to have either Qt or X available.

Yeah, currently, the Qt library requires X to be running.  We have some hope that this won't be the case with Qt4, now
inbeta.  Haven't had much time to play with that yet...

In our OpenMFG ERP product, what we currently do for our Batch Manager application running reports in a way like you're
describingis to run it in a VNC server session.  Would that be an option for you?

Regards,
Ned

Re: OpenRPT

From
Chris Browne
Date:
ned@nedscape.com (Ned Lilly) writes:
> Christopher Browne wrote:
>
>> My question would be whether or not it's "batchable" for environments
>> where you haven't got X running or available.
>>
>> It could be nifty to "drag and drool" some reports into place, but
>> there are cases where that's only useful if they can subsequently be
>> deployed without needing to have either Qt or X available.
>

> Yeah, currently, the Qt library requires X to be running.  We have
> some hope that this won't be the case with Qt4, now in beta.
> Haven't had much time to play with that yet...
>
> In our OpenMFG ERP product, what we currently do for our Batch
> Manager application running reports in a way like you're describing
> is to run it in a VNC server session.  Would that be an option for
> you?

Hmm.

Not on a headless server where the nearest available screen is 900
miles away, and where it's entirely possible that running "remote X"
would be considered an attempt at a network exploit...

And considering that I'd be forced to install, from sources, in some
user area, such nonsalutory things as Qt, and to do that, some sort of
C++ "standard library" set, methinks this fits into the category of
"that might be cool for someone else."

Reporting infrastructure that requires a GUI to operate seems "broken
by design" for server use...
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "acm.org")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/sap.html

Re: OpenRPT (was Re: [ANNOUNCE] == PostgreSQL Weekly

From
Darcy Buskermolen
Date:
On Monday 25 April 2005 18:40, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > Dave, thanks for the plug - and thanks to everyone who's expressed an
> > interest in OpenRPT so far.  It seems there are still some performance
> > issues with pgFoundry  (pending setup of new servers?) - so for now,
> > we're going to do our best not to contribute to the load, and point
> > people to OpenRPT's home on SourceForge, where the iron is big and the
> > pipes fat:
> >
> > http://openrpt.sf.net/
>
> Erm.  I looked at that software.  It's freakin' rad.  Finally I can do
> reports for managers without MS Access...

Yes this is a great tool, I've fond all sorts of great uses for it already,
Are there any plans to turn it into more than just reports, ie will it evolve
to become more like Oracle forms?

> Chris

Darcy Buskermolen
Wavefire Technologies Corp.

http://www.wavefire.com
ph: 250.717.0200
fx: 250.763.1759

Re: OpenRPT

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Chris Browne wrote:

> ned@nedscape.com (Ned Lilly) writes:
>> Christopher Browne wrote:
>>
>>> My question would be whether or not it's "batchable" for environments
>>> where you haven't got X running or available.
>>>
>>> It could be nifty to "drag and drool" some reports into place, but
>>> there are cases where that's only useful if they can subsequently be
>>> deployed without needing to have either Qt or X available.
>>

>> Yeah, currently, the Qt library requires X to be running.  We have
>> some hope that this won't be the case with Qt4, now in beta.
>> Haven't had much time to play with that yet...
>>
>> In our OpenMFG ERP product, what we currently do for our Batch
>> Manager application running reports in a way like you're describing
>> is to run it in a VNC server session.  Would that be an option for
>> you?
>
> Hmm.
>
> Not on a headless server where the nearest available screen is 900
> miles away, and where it's entirely possible that running "remote X"
> would be considered an attempt at a network exploit...

What about something like Xfvb, which can be used for stuff like Enhydra,
which also requires X to be running on the server?

----

Date:
Darcy Buskermolen wrote:

> Yes this is a great tool, I've fond all sorts of great uses for it already,
> Are there any plans to turn it into more than just reports, ie will it evolve
> to become more like Oracle forms?

Not at this time, although if you've got some specific ideas on that front, please get involved in the project and let
ushear 'em.

The OpenMFG ERP application has an awful lot of that kind of plumbing already, widgets that we built with Qt, etc., so
it'snot high up on our internal list.

Cheers,
Ned

Re: OpenRPT

From
Enrico Weigelt
Date:
* Ned Lilly <ned@nedscape.com> wrote:

<snip>
> Yeah, currently, the Qt library requires X to be running.
Thats *one* reason why we lately moved some applications away from Qt.
(well, there're about 1000 more good reasons).

<snip>
> We have some hope that this won't be the case with Qt4, now in beta.
> Haven't had much time to play with that yet...
For me, personally, time of playing in sandpit with matchbox toy cars
is definitly over ...

<snip>
> In our OpenMFG ERP product, what we currently do for our Batch Manager
> application running reports in a way like you're describing is to run it in
> a VNC server session.  Would that be an option for you?

my dear, too much sun makes giddy ... ;-)

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service
  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact@metux.de
  Realtime Forex/Stock Exchange trading powered by postgresSQL :))
                                            http://www.fxignal.net/