MySQL to PostgreSQL movement

From
Ned Lilly
Date:
http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/breakingnews.jhtml?articleId=60401366

Excerpt:

In an interview at LinuxWorld in Boston, Mickos acknowledged some MySQL-to-PostgreSQL movement, but shrugged it off.
"They[PostgreSQL] absolutely try to be an Oracle replacement. We do not. We're here for new markets," Mickos told CRN.

This very much squares with what we're hearing at the booth at LinuxWorld.

Re: MySQL to PostgreSQL movement

Ned Lilly wrote:
> http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/breakingnews.jhtml?articleId=60401366
>
> Excerpt:
>
> In an interview at LinuxWorld in Boston, Mickos acknowledged some
> MySQL-to-PostgreSQL movement, but shrugged it off. "They [PostgreSQL]
> absolutely try to be an Oracle replacement. We do not. We're here for
> new markets," Mickos told CRN.
>
> This very much squares with what we're hearing at the booth at
> LinuxWorld.

I found that article simply amazing.  I would like to put this article
up on our web site "News" page with the title "MySQL Cedes Oracle-Style
Market to PostgreSQL".  Is that OK?  The article certainly has good
coverage for PostgreSQL, even though the title mentions only MySQL.

Re: MySQL to PostgreSQL movement

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
Yeah I agree. The article is impressive from two stand points:

1.  That there is indeed an acknowledgement of a significant amount of
movement between postgres and mysql.

2.  Honest commentary is coming out of mysql. We need to keep on supporting
this kind of thing (except of course that business that we're 'only' after
Oracle people).

On February 21, 2005 10:45 am, you wrote:

> > In an interview at LinuxWorld in Boston, Mickos acknowledged some
> > MySQL-to-PostgreSQL movement, but shrugged it off. "They [PostgreSQL]
> > absolutely try to be an Oracle replacement. We do not. We're here for
> > new markets," Mickos told CRN.
> >
> > This very much squares with what we're hearing at the booth at
> > LinuxWorld.
>
> I found that article simply amazing.  I would like to put this article
> up on our web site "News" page with the title "MySQL Cedes Oracle-Style
> Market to PostgreSQL".  Is that OK?  The article certainly has good
> coverage for PostgreSQL, even though the title mentions only MySQL.

Re: MySQL to PostgreSQL movement

From
Robby Russell
On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 10:45 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Ned Lilly wrote:
> > http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/breakingnews.jhtml?articleId=60401366
> >
> > Excerpt:
> >
> > In an interview at LinuxWorld in Boston, Mickos acknowledged some
> > MySQL-to-PostgreSQL movement, but shrugged it off. "They [PostgreSQL]
> > absolutely try to be an Oracle replacement. We do not. We're here for
> > new markets," Mickos told CRN.
> >
> > This very much squares with what we're hearing at the booth at
> > LinuxWorld.
>
> I found that article simply amazing.  I would like to put this article
> up on our web site "News" page with the title "MySQL Cedes Oracle-Style
> Market to PostgreSQL".  Is that OK?  The article certainly has good
> coverage for PostgreSQL, even though the title mentions only MySQL.

I had emailed her (the author of the article) to explain the license
differnece between MySQL and PostgreSQL and before I knew it she posted
what I wrote. Didn't realize that she added more to the article until I
saw this thread. :-)

-Robby

* Robby Russell | Owner.Developer.Geek
* PLANET ARGON  | www.planetargon.com
* Portland, OR  | robby@planetargon.com
* 503.351.4730  | blog.planetargon.com
* PHP/PostgreSQL Hosting & Development
* --- Now hosting Ruby on Rails Apps ---

Re: MySQL to PostgreSQL movement

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Robby,

> I had emailed her (the author of the article) to explain the license
> differnece between MySQL and PostgreSQL and before I knew it she posted
> what I wrote. Didn't realize that she added more to the article until I
> saw this thread. :-)

Important lesson for everyone ... anything you say to a reporter can end up in
print.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Date:
On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 12:35 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Robby,
>
> > I had emailed her (the author of the article) to explain the license
> > differnece between MySQL and PostgreSQL and before I knew it she posted
> > what I wrote. Didn't realize that she added more to the article until I
> > saw this thread. :-)
>
> Important lesson for everyone ... anything you say to a reporter can end up in
> print.

..lesson learned.