pgsql doesn't include replication...

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
... is what we hear all the time.

We *do* have enough replication solutions, but they're not immetiately
visible and the argument "there are many different replication
requirements, a single product will never satisfy that" stays true but
those guys who want to see "replication included" won't understand that.

As another step to make pgsql replication more visible, the next pgAdmin
version will include Slony-I support, making maintainance a click thing.
A preview image is at http://www.pgadmin.org//snapshots/pgadmin3-slony.png

Regards,
Andreas

Re: pgsql doesn't include replication...

From
"Gavin M. Roy"
Date:
Awesome!  This should be very well received.  I can't wait to try it out
(and get away from my script for setting up slony) :)

Gavin

On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 23:10 +0000, Andreas Pflug wrote:
> ... is what we hear all the time.
>
> We *do* have enough replication solutions, but they're not immetiately
> visible and the argument "there are many different replication
> requirements, a single product will never satisfy that" stays true but
> those guys who want to see "replication included" won't understand that.
>
> As another step to make pgsql replication more visible, the next pgAdmin
> version will include Slony-I support, making maintainance a click thing.
> A preview image is at http://www.pgadmin.org//snapshots/pgadmin3-slony.png
>
> Regards,
> Andreas

Re: pgsql doesn't include replication...

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Andreas,

> We *do* have enough replication solutions, but they're not immetiately
> visible and the argument "there are many different replication
> requirements, a single product will never satisfy that" stays true but
> those guys who want to see "replication included" won't understand that.

Well, frankly "those guys" are unlikely to adopt PG anyway, since they'll just
move on to the next item in their "buzzword checklist", like "XML queries" or
some such flavor-of-the-month.   We've done a lot to clear up the issue of
replicaiton support:
http://www.postgresql.org/about/advantages
http://www.postgresql.org/download/
http://www.postgresql.org/about/press/presskit80.html.en

Basically, if someone is still bouncing us because we "don't have replication
support" then it's because they were looking for an excuse.

> As another step to make pgsql replication more visible, the next pgAdmin
> version will include Slony-I support, making maintainance a click thing.
> A preview image is at http://www.pgadmin.org//snapshots/pgadmin3-slony.png

Which is really, really cool.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: pgsql doesn't include replication...

From
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Date:
>> As another step to make pgsql replication more visible, the next pgAdmin
>> version will include Slony-I support, making maintainance a click thing.
>> A preview image is at
>> http://www.pgadmin.org//snapshots/pgadmin3-slony.png
>
> Which is really, really cool.

Hmm, the Slony guys talked to us (the phpPgAdmin team) about doing this as
well - but they never got back to us with any implementation details :D

Perhaps I'll have to look at this new functionailty in pgAdmin and imitate
it?  I don't really want to spend forever learning Slony to implement the
interface :D

Chris

Re: pgsql doesn't include replication...

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
KL-

> Hmm, the Slony guys talked to us (the phpPgAdmin team) about doing this as
> well - but they never got back to us with any implementation details :D
>
> Perhaps I'll have to look at this new functionailty in pgAdmin and imitate
> it?  I don't really want to spend forever learning Slony to implement the
> interface :D

Well, the slony commands are pretty well-documented.  And you can always pop
back on IRC.

How was the vacation, btw?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: pgsql doesn't include replication...

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
josh@agliodbs.com (Josh Berkus) wrote:
> KL-
>
>> Hmm, the Slony guys talked to us (the phpPgAdmin team) about doing this as
>> well - but they never got back to us with any implementation details :D
>>
>> Perhaps I'll have to look at this new functionailty in pgAdmin and imitate
>> it?  I don't really want to spend forever learning Slony to implement the
>> interface :D
>
> Well, the slony commands are pretty well-documented.  And you can always pop
> back on IRC.

The documentation tree includes docs about the stored functions, which
are probably the way to do this.

The problem of course is that everyone's pretty busy.  Jan is
evidently pretty much hiding after he got back from France, and I have
had no lack of things to do.

There's some useful "protocol" to consider when looking at those
stored functions, as there are generally two for each action:

 1.  A "main" one, which gets invoked on one node

   e.g. - to add a path between nodes, you call
      storepath( integer, integer, text, integer )

     These sometimes can be called "anywhere," but often need to be
     called on the node where some interesting action is supposed to
     take place.  That way, the procedure can successfully check the
     state of that node and give a decent error message if it fails.

     If the action looks like it'll succeed, Slony-I "raises an event"
     to broadcast the activity to everywhere else.

 2.  Then, there's an "internal" one that does internal work that
     should be done on each node.

      storepath_int ( integer, integer, text, integer )

     When the 'STORE_PATH' event gets broadcasted everywhere, this
     "internal" function is used to make the event take effect
     "everywhere."

Thus, it's important to run the right functions, and sometimes to run
them on the right node.  With storepath(), where to run it isn't
important, as it'll broadcast paths onwards as it propagates.  But
with subscribeset(), it had better initially run on the node that's
supposed to be doing the subscribing.

That's reasonably well documented in the functions themselves, so that
trial and error will get you somewhere...
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "gmail.com")
http://linuxdatabases.info/~cbbrowne/slony.html

Date: