Lamar Owen
Date:
On Wednesday 19 January 2005 08:49, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/01/19/1312224&tid=221&tid=198&t
> id=185

A great day to get my moderator points... Great timing, Slashdot....:-)
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology

Re: 8.0 just hit slashdot!

From
Jeff Davis
Date:
On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 08:49 -0500, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/01/19/1312224&tid=221&tid=198&t
> id=185

Man, tough crowd. Did you see how much they were talking about count(*)?

8.0 is an amazing release, I can't believe such a negative thread got so
much attention, especially since the issue is so insignificant.

Congratulations to the developers and release people, you did a great
job!

Regards,
    Jeff Davis

Re: 8.0 just hit slashdot!

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Jeff Davis wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 08:49 -0500, Merlin Moncure wrote:
>

>>http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/01/19/1312224&tid=221&tid=198&t
>>id=185
>>

>Man, tough crowd. Did you see how much they were talking about count(*)?

Slashdot is good for press, not intelligent conversation. Most
of the people commenting on Slashdot about PostgreSQL don't
really have a clue about it...

I saw a lot of... there is no replication and even Pervasive
is the first commercial company to support it ;)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>8.0 is an amazing release, I can't believe such a negative thread got so
>much attention, especially since the issue is so insignificant.
>
>Congratulations to the developers and release people, you did a great
>job!
>
>Regards,
>    Jeff Davis

>      subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your

Re: 8.0 just hit slashdot!

From
Mitch Pirtle
Date:
Slashdot as always been religious about MySQL, and took a long time
for even PHP to become accepted.

This was actually a great response coming from a very
MySQL-is-the-only-database-for-the-universe crowd...

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:14:36 -0800, Jeff Davis <jdavis-pgsql@empires.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 08:49 -0500, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> > http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/01/19/1312224&tid=221&tid=198&t
> > id=185
>

> Man, tough crowd. Did you see how much they were talking about count(*)?
>
> 8.0 is an amazing release, I can't believe such a negative thread got so
> much attention, especially since the issue is so insignificant.

Re: 8.0 just hit slashdot!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Mitch, Jeff,

> Slashdot as always been religious about MySQL, and took a long time
> for even PHP to become accepted.
>
> This was actually a great response coming from a very
> MySQL-is-the-only-database-for-the-universe crowd...

Actually, our "Slashdot Image" has been overwhelming positive over the last
year.  This is mainly because Slashdot hates a successful (by some
definition) company, and always supports the "underdog".  Check any post on
Red Hat, and you'll see how they became "the evil empire" the first quarter
they posted a profit.

Currently, this works in our favor, but if MySQL started to fall apart, it
would turn against us.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: 8.0 just hit slashdot!

From
"Michael Sims"
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> This is mainly because Slashdot hates a successful
> (by some definition) company, and always supports the "underdog".
[...]
> Currently, this works in our favor, but if MySQL started to fall
> apart, it would turn against us.

Yup.  Wish I could mod your post +5 insightful. :)